Flat footed, fat and female......which shoes?

Hey,

Introduction.....
So I'm 17 and a half stone, 35, 5 foot 7 and was born flat footed......I know, dream woman right ;)
Anyway, I've been walking....a lot in my inov8 race ultra 290 trainers which have been fine for walking.
Last week I started C25k and almost immediately became very aware of my feet and ankles rolling inwards. I only managed half of the 8, 60 second jogs as my calf muscles became rock hard and my shins started to hurt a lot.
As I'd done some research first I knew that meant to stop, so I walked the rest of it.

My plan is to try again and keep building up until I can do all 8 intervals of jogging and walk the other 2 days, then when I can do all 8 on day 1, up it to two days jogging and then go through the same process to get to 3 days jogging and then start C25K properly.
I'm very unfit, my dad (who is a bodybuilder but has never done cardio) has been diagnosed with aortic stenosis, so I want to do all I can to improve my cardiovascular fitness as it can be hereditary. It was a big slap in the face for me to sort myself out.
I've been following ketogenic eating since January and have lost over 3 stone, and it really suits me. I'm less bloated, have more energy and I've lost a lot of size.

Question......
Does anyone have any recommendations for some trainers that will help my flat feet and maybe help with the pain? I'm expecting a certain degree of coughing up a lung and aching after jogging as it's so alien to everything I've done in the last 35 years, but I really want to do this, and I do not want to get injured doing it.

Any advice on shoes, or just generally would be amazing.
I did have a jogging partner but she's dropped out so I'm now going it alone. Running/walking on concrete along a canal, so nice and flat (apart from the pot holes).

Thanks in advance, lovely to be here :smile:

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi Helly_belly82, well done for starting to walk/run. I can only offer the advice I was given, find an independent running shop (do not know where you are so will not recommend), ring, find out when they are quiet, book an appointment and take their advice. Keep with it. 
  • Fantastic advice! Thanks very much indeed TT, I’ll have a look what’s near me ?
  • I decided last summer to try starting to run after dropping from 25 to 20 stone. I went it alone in the dieting and running and started by just walking then tried couch to 5k but hit a wall at week 4. I continued with the dieting and before getting about of flu at the start of December I'd dropped to 18 stone and had joined park run. I'm always last and struggle like hell - mostly walking-  but the pains in the legs do get easier and everyone is really supportive. Good luck with your journey, I'm back in it in the next few weeks. My target is 10 stone weight loss and to complete a 'fast walk' 10k by 1st June. Go for it!