Flexible As A Boneless Chicken - Stretching Advice Needed

Hiya Chaps, I'm after advice, you read different things, and many conflict with one another, so personal experience is something I would rather read, so any help or advice is really appreciated.

The problem is I run a hell of a lot (like the rest of you) and I'm guessing the repetitive movement of running (even over rough terrain) is repeatedly telling my central nervous system over and over my legs only bend this far, this far, this far,this far etc. Therefore when it comes to flexibility the central nervious system needs to be 'reprogrammed' with post-run stretching to say it is ok for the stretch reflex to bend further.

I stretch a lot, about 30mins a day, I am pretty flexible, sitting on floor, hands clasping ankles, head and chest rest on legs/knees comfortably. In front direction, leg raised on bar foot at chest/head level again comfortably.

It might seem, why you asking? That seems ok, but doing Taekwondo, when doing turning/roundhouse kick it requires flexibility in sideways direction as well as front, and I just can't get my flexibility there. Even after 18 months (with an injury break inbetween though) of really focusing on flexibility in that direction it just isn't happening, I reach a mediocre limit, which is poor. If I was to attempt box/side splits it is more just standing feet apart wide-ish but not that far.

Any stretching experts out there that can offer advice on this stretching conundrum, dynamic or static, holding for 20sec, 1 min, 3 mins?, specific moves etc. I have tried everything.

I am very aware of not pushing too far, I did have a fight with central nervous system/stretch reflex that resulted in surgery, don't fancy that again.

I know it is not running as such this question, but I am fairly certain that running plays a part in my flexibility plateau, and there are many people here that are very knowledgeable or experienced in these matters.

Thanks

Ben