Persistent, worsening knee pain from IT band

For about 3 months I've had right hand side knee pain. Started off as slight niggle on outside of knee a few km into a run. I was doing about 10-15 miles a week. Progressively got worse, as it started earlier into run and was more painful.
No swelling or redness, pain stops as soon as running stops.

Went to physio 6 weeks ago,who said 'weak and tight everything' , so was given orthotics to stop my over pronation, and loads of hip, glutes etc exercises and stretches. He spent about 90 minutes measuring and testing various muscles and I thought he was really thorough and checked everything properly.

Diagnosed IT band rubbing over side of knee bone, causing inflammation. Gave me loads of stretches and exercises to do daily.
I have been doing these religiously as well as 2 core strengthening classes at the gym per week, as I have not been able to run at all without it hurting too much,

Now it's got to a stage where even 5 minutes into a dog walk down the road makes it hurts.

Went to GP who said it's just poor biomechanics and keep up with physio and prescribed naproxen (strong ibuprofen)

I've tried everything, rest, ice, stretches, glucosamine and chondroitin supplements, foam rolling,more stretches, core exercises, ibuprofen gel, knee strap (no difference). Short of not actually walking and pushing myself round in a wheelchair I can't see how I can rest it much more. The gym work doesn't set it off at all, in fact the last class I went to I noticed how much more flexible everything was compared to 6 weeks ago so I must be improving!

I'm at a loss at what to do. Any ideas? Or any ideas when it might seem to start improving?
It's driving me nuts and really getting me down. I really don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of it.

Comments

• lestajestalestajesta ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    In the absence of any other help...... have you tried yoga specifically for IT band issues.  There are a whole bunch of them out there, worth a try on your prefferred search engine ? Also if you have a bike (if not why not??) get you're legs spinning without the impact.  Good luck and speedy recovery.

• I have had some success in new trainers with a low heel/toe drop. My old ones were 12mm but these new ones are 4mm.
  • JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

Has the physio given you an idea of timeframes? Obviously everyone is different but if you have a clue about the stages you should be going through it will help you know if you are progressing or not and whether to change physios.

• For the symptom of inflammation, have you tried eating turmeric paste twice a day? Cooked turmeric powder, ginger powder plus fresh ground black pepper mixed with healthy oils? Using all organic ingredients.

I've found Comfrey cream is also excellent to help heal up injuries/inflammation. If I have a bad injury - I picked up a bad ankle sprain a week ago, I also have a bath containing steeped comfrey leaf plus Epsom slats. That speeds my healing up a lot. Again organic Epsom salts