The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Dave and Harmander: Thanks for the info about the mid week events. They sound fun and I assume a community springs up around them with you quickly starting to recognise faces from event to event. The events I pay to enter fall into the following: local club events with fields of 500 - 700, a couple of 'town centre' halves arranged by companies (field 1500 ish) and an annual marathon (Run for all event), so all a little impersonal. I love my weekly parkrun with about 150 others, lots I now say hello to, the mid week event sounds like it has some of that.

Just a couple of treadmill miles to add from yesterday so YTD: 167.4
  • Steven Morrison - look after that calf and dont push it! The weather has turned again. Tonight was a chilly one!!

I had a days rest and then got out for another 6.09 miles today. Including another PB 5k at 25.41, feeling the best I have ever felt!

YTD 91.57 (next run will break 100) buzzing for Sunday
  • Sore foot allowed me out for 5.5 last night (including 3.5 at threshold pace) but I am glad I now have a couple of rest days planned, enforced due to other commitments.

153.5 YTD

• Pleasure Donnie2.
    Go for it Lilly61.
    I really got to pull my finger out on speed work with pacing duties at the Big Half on 4 March
    13.71 miles last night
    YTD = 456.73 miles
  • A couple of double run days for me this week, 2 four mile ones on Tuesday and yesterday we went to Cardiff & I joined my brother in law for a nice 6 miles around the bay, last night my daughter announced that her best friend was having a meltdown & needed loving so I had to take her to town...so another 5 miles last night.

250 miles YTD

• I'm a big fan of double run days Hobie.

Good luck Lilly

No run today, between night shifts and took the kids to the beach for some skim boarding and swimming, a pleasant 31 degrees!

You're over a hundred miles ahead Harmander! 
  • Sorry Dubai Runner
    'Er Indoors is away till the 8th March so I thought I might as well make the most of it
  • Any other Irish runners out there? Or any Scots? Some fantastic rugby tonight...
  • Guten Aben meine Leiben!

Oofff... I've got miles behind - great running everyone, the miles are really mounting up for all. Sorry, that's a short cut so my post isn't 100 lines long. :smiley:

Best of luck Lilly and Harmander and anyone else racing tomorrow.

The usual to and from the track and round the track run for me on Thursday night: 4.49 miles, 4.21 miles, and 4.46 miles to give a total give a total of 13.16 miles.

Then 4.19 miles for this evening. It was really tough to persuade myself to get out... I'd left it rather late - should have gone when it was bright and sunny but I waited until just after dusk, and my chittery chattery head was saying "it's only 4 miles, it's cold out there, it doesn't matter if you miss just this one..." etc. but I managed to ignore all that and make myself go out. Really glad I did as it turned out to be a very nice progression run that averaged out at about goal marathon pace. 

YTD: 264.72 miles.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Dubai Runner, old boy from Belfast here, so that counts as Irish, and Oh I do like beating the Welsh!!!! Anyone else, not that bothered, just like to put one over the Taffs (can I say that or is it not PC, I know I'm supposed to take offence when I'm called a Paddy or a Mick,  :) )

Anywho, some great running being diarised on here, well done all; shame about the streak Dubai, but the thought of running the date in Ks means that after the 20th I'd be flagging there.

For me have had a better month, ran the Stamford 30K and today the Gade Valley 17M training run (a Danish never tastes so good as after a 17,  ;) )

so YTD     168.64    just a 100 behind Nell and about 40 behind schedule, but got some 20's coming up, Essex & Oakley, so March should be better.
  • Howdy everyone,
    What a weekend I'm having :smile: Dubai Runner, I'm a Scotsman living in Wales who works next to a (usually) smug Englishman...how much fun am I going to have tomorrow.

Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day...but it was frosty & sunny so I did my first ever parkrun & I know it's not supposed to be a race but 21:04 & a 5th out of 97 feels good.

Today was an early start for Ultra long run training joined by a few friend (on bikes) so 22 miles in the bag today before lunch.

Nell, I might just have some motivation for you...275 miles YTD

Hope everyone racing this weekend had a great time...loving feeling a bit of sun again.
  • Well, a combination of a cough that won’t go away, cold weather and the thought that I should be sensible and rest my foot after the aches in it earlier this week have meant that I have binned today’s run. 

Hoping to be back firing on all cylinders by Tuesday or Wednesday (just in time for the predicted blizzards!).
  • Managed to sneak in 7.51 miles yesterday without a Parkrun and did the undulating Roding Valley Half today in readiness for the Big Half next Sunday where I will be pacing for 2:29 - I did 2:26:55 today so I guess I should be OK next week.
    YTD = 477.34 miles
  • Ahoy-hoy friends!

Nice racing senidM... I remember your praise of the post race pastries from last year :lol: Best of luck for your upcoming 20 milers.

Hehehe, Hobie - beware of schadenfreude ... but enjoy it while you can. To be fair, it was about due as it's been 10 years since the last Scotland win :wink: Not that I'm particularly a fan of England rugby - as a Cornish maid I have a greater affinity for the Celtic nations than England :smile: Lovely jubbly on the running front - very well done on banking 22 miles, nice going.

Well done, Andrew - as strange as it seems to say! It's often really difficult to call a rest day on yourself... discretion is the better part of valour, after all. Hope you're feeling top notch again soon!

Well done, Harmander - that's a nice steady time... sounds like you're in fine fettle for next weekend's pacing duties :smile:

LSR for me this afternoon/evening. Started in the sun and finished in the dark... and bitterly cold. I won't deny it was tough - this is the first run where I actually thought "hmm... two marathons in six days - that's a bit silly!". I'm sure I can do it but I know it will hurt. From about mile 17 I started clock watching - not for the time but for the miles to come round. Eventually managed to bank the scheduled 21 miles: 21.04 to be precise. Tired now - I think last weekend's HM PB took more out of me than I realised!

YTD: 285.76 miles.

• Evening guys, 

Some solid miles going in everywhere and with more cold horrible weather coming in, will power needed at times to get out and make it happen!

Thank you for all the good luck messages and they must have helped as I shocked myself with a huge PB in Brighton today running 2.16! Over the moon with that time and probably about 10 minutes quicker than I had hoped for. 

It was a lovely cold but sunny day with wonderful views but blustery winds coming in from the sea. 

So after what was an amazing day I now sit YTD on 104.79 and am finally into the 100 mile club! Time to set the next milestone

Happy running guys

• Just popping back in to say a HUGE "WELL DONE!!!" Lilly :smiley: woo hoo!!!

That's fantastic - your steady mileage and regular training is really paying off... and welcome to the 100+ miles club too. Hope the *bling* was suitably PB-worthy and you had a nice treat as a reward (akin to my pizza the other weekend) :wink:

• Well done Lilly on joining the 100 mile club & well done on the PB...great work.
  • Thanks Nell - I think I definitely made the correct decision as I felt rough as anything all evening and had a rubbish night's sleep too! Very croaky voice today too (not that that would have any impact on my running lol). Can't get out for a run today anyway, so will hope that some more rest and lots of fluids will see me right by Tuesday/Wednesday.

A shame though, as I was (for once) slightly ahead of the curve and will probably fall a little behind again now!

• lilly61 - Congrats on the PB and the 100+ miles, as Nell said earlier I hope you remembered to reward yourself adequately.

Dubai - Yeah, a Scot here looking forward to meeting Ireland in 2 weeks, I'm sure we'll come down to earth with a bump in Dublin.

Harmander - crikey you're haring up to 500 miles at some pace. And nice controlled work at your HM.

Well Hobie and Nell I see you're running has continued apace, very nice work. I on other hand have been benched since last Wednesday and following four solid days of foam rolling and stretching I only ventured back out this morning. The calf is still tight but it is a lot better than it was, hopefully if I'm controlled and patient I can get back into my rhythm - but I hate missing the long ones at the weekends!

26 Feb - 11.6m

YTD: 282.3 Miles ... I'm losing ground fast guys and it's gonna be hard to catch you up. ;)
  • Well done Lily! That's brilliant.

8 very cold miles this morning

YTD- 132
  • Lily: That sort of PB makes the effort worth while. Well done.

Away from Thurs to Sun meaning a lazy time apart from the Ipswich Park run. I've said this before but if you're in that area give their winter course in Christchurch park a try, its lovely. 

YTD: 176.0
  • Good morning, enjoying the blizzards and snow??

Congrats Lilly on passing the 100 mile mark and a new PB.

Great to see so many celts on here enjoying the 6 nations. Our last match is against England on St Patrick's day. My parents will be here and my father is English! Should make for an interesting day out at the pub!

Everyones mileage is stacking up nicely. I took Friday and Saturday off last week due to a beach day and a lazy lunch, rugby and too many beers!

25.2 10.57 miles
    26.2 12.22 miles
    27.2  4.71 miles

YTD 374.96 miles 
  • Morning all,

Dubai, I live about 30 miles south of London, we have had a massive inch of snow and already all the local schools are closed, however journey into work was surprisingly good.

Senidm, Well done for getting out for the Stamford 30K, interesting distance for a race, can't say I see many 20K / 30K or 20 milers advertised around my area.

Hobie, Great long run training, I must say it is very close between you, Nell and Steven - how exciting!

Nell, Well done getting out in the cold, especially late in the day when it is cold and them inner demons are telling you to stay in the warm.

Lilly61, Great PB well done, you must be over the moon with that!

Harmander, Well done on yet another HM, I am sure you will be fine pacing next week, good luck in advance.
    I also see you were busy on Saturday (I have seen the photographical evidence) of you as race director no less, at the 100MC AGM outing.

As for me I had a couple of runs thought out the week and then yesterday headed across to Deal in Kent for Marathon day (26.2.18) Marathon, it was a nice scenic 5 lap out and back along the seafront, I can honestly say it was very tough with the wind in your face on the way out, along with the freezing conditions, we even had a number of snow showers.
    I did however manage another PB just by finishing in 3.57.38, so very happy with my efforts, I now seem to be able to keep a good pace right to the end, whereas before I was tailing of around the 34-36K mark, this is what is making the difference.

Stats for last week;

20.02.18 - 10
    22.02.18 - 3.75
    26.02.18 - 26.2

YTD = 229.85
  • Lilly61 - brilliant PB - going to ask if you would like to pace instead of me as it was freezing today.
    David Charman - thanks, it was officially my 251st Half Marathon - that is ten more than the number of Parkruns to date lol.
    Steven Morrison - 'Er Indoors will be back by the end of next week and I planned to get to 500 before she got back, so with another gingerly shuffle of 13.72 miles earlier today my
    YTD = 491.06 miles.
    With the Big Half on Sunday and two marathons planned before the VLM, I should be close to 900 by the end of April - about 100 miles short than I was last year so Nell will have to concede that I have kept my word and taken it easy this year.
  • Congrats on the marathon PB David!

5.24 miles today whilst my youngest son was at swim squad, anyone else have an outdoor swim today?

YTD 380.2 miles
  • Hey everyone

Harmander thanks and think I might need a bit more practise yet? good luck with the Big Half this Sunday!

David Charmen well done on your new PB, great effort in poor conditions!! 

Dubai Runner thank you and still piling on the miles! Nothing wrong with a few days off and a beer or two.

Donnie2 was well worth the effort, really happy thanks

Thank you Andrea, getting out in this weather is hard going so good effort!

Nell, Hobbie and Steve Morrison yes rewarded with first beer in 3 months and a fillet steak! Thanks for your encouragment, really pushes me on!! Nell the constant miles has made a massive difference to my pace and finishing stronger. Slowly upping my daily miles as well now.

Everyone really seems to be pushing on with some amazing miles. Some real markers being put down!! Wonder what the combined miles on here are right now!

Today I braved the cold and snowy conditions and put in 4.71 miles. Was fresh but nice getting out and running in the snow. 

That puts me on 109.5 YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    11 warm indoor treadmill miles since last posting.

My local park run is looking at its first ever cancellation on Saturday. 

YTD: 187.0
  • Donnie, same here...I did my first Parkrun last weekend & this weekend they have to cancel because of weather.

Went out yesterday & did a bit of coast path...bracing. The ice from local waterfall & from water running out of cliffs at the beach was stunning.

290 miles YTD

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Parkrun snowed off. Fair enough, but the air is so clean and pure I just want to breath it in. 

4 treadmill miles taking me to 191.0
  • Both of my local Parkruns were cancelled so I went and ran there and did some extra bits totaling 10.48 miles anyway but at a safe pace through the slushy thawing snow.  Felt really good as preparation for the Big Half tomorrow.
    YTD = 501.54 miles
    Yes - into the 500 club but about two weeks later than last year.