The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Did a slow 16.94 miles this morning.
    YTD = 1002.31 miles
    YYYIIIPPPPPPPEEEEEE
    Averaged 13.555Km a day
    Took me 190 hours in 119 days
    Can afford to run 4.13 miles a day (instead of 8.42 to date) to reach my target of 2018 miles by the end of the year.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander! A fantastic effort 
  • Congrats Harmander! 

I got up at 0430 to run and ended up going back to bed, now home from work and its 42 degrees....
  • 27.4 5.7 miles offload - sand!!
    28.4 8.07 miles

YTD 682.15 miles

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    42!! It’s about 5 degrees here!

5 this afternoon for me, nice and steady.

Finished with 82 in April.

323 YTD
  • Well done Harmander, you need a new category all to yourself...very impressive milage sir.

I feel bad about having a bit of a rest today, this week sees the start of our club Summer handicap series...hilly 5k...it's going to hurt but does make a big difference in fitness levels.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Well done Harmander. 3,000 by years end?
    Replaced the snapped chain on my bike but turns out the cassette needs replacing as well. Needs a bike repair shop for that and a service. Had a week of trying to fix stuff that is broken only to discover it's more broken than it seemed. Bugger. Went for a run in the cold to shed some of the frustration.
    Still clocking up 40+miles a week. Something's going to go crack or ping eventually. 760miles down.
  • 495.5 miles YTD
    By this time tomorrow it will be 500
    By this time in August it should be 1000+ 
    By the end of the year I want it to be 1500+
    I will stay in touch.

• Thank you all.
    Keep going with a smile
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Wotcha peeps!

In reading back over the London Marathon and GFA changes comments I unearthed two other big achievements I failed to comment on...

Firstly, Hobie's bronze bling - great going, well done! :grin:

Secondly, David racking up another nice time in a multi-lap marathon... you have my great respect, sir - nice one!

And, of course, fab pacing again Harmander - that was some achievement in those conditions! I've said it before and I'll say it again... you are a machine! :lol: I had no idea about your running history and background - it's really amazing :smile: ETA: congratulations on crashing through the 1000 miles barrier - exactly as you predicted.

Andrew - I totally get where you're coming from regarding the wish to run a marathon... I was the same a few years back. The first time I ran a sub-2:00 HM I walked back to my car with a work colleague who asked me if it was a marathon for me next and my precise reply was "Nope! A marathon is a silly distance... far too far to run", and that's how I stayed for a further year or so. I don't really know why I suddenly decided I could run a marathon - but one day I found myself "accidentally" entering Manchester Marathon and once I'd entered I knew I had to commit to it 100%. Having been more successful than I expected at Manchester I felt I had to use my BQ and GFA since I had no idea whether or not I would ever run that fast again! I now appear to be addicted... hahaha :lol: Of course, it's not for everyone and many, many outstanding recreational runners never do a marathon. It's a lot of work and if you don't put in the training it's not a nice experience - as I understand it.

I'm in for Manchester again next year (hoping for another Abbott WMM qualifying time) - come and join us, Donnie... and lilly - if you don't get in for the VMLM it'd be good to see you in Manchester too!

Regarding the changes to GFA - they certainly do seem harsh on the male contingent! They've actually made the time for my age group (FV45-49) easier... I needed 3:50 to get in this year - but it's now 3:53 and I totally agree with Dubai that the differential between M and F times seems incredibly unfair. Fundamentally. the qualifying times can't be the same for M and F because men can, inherently, run faster than women but increasing the gap in the way they have is a bit much. I can understand the change to the Boston style "filling a glass from the bottom" since using that method means the organisers are 100% in control of the numbers of entrants - with the old method they had no control over how many people would run the GFA targets, and also how many deferrals would take up their places. With a quota they are in control throughout.

The contrast between Boston and London was striking IMHO (and I don't just mean in the weather!). Boston felt like a "runner's marathon" whereas London felt like a "charity event". I'm making no moral judgement about either - they, of course, both have their place.

And so to some actual running... 

A wee bit of cyber-stalking enables me to say our boy Steven "done good" - hope he's happy with it!

A little "back to running" trot out for me this afternoon... 4.52 miles at an average pace of of 8:41/mi. - faster than I'd intended as I'd forgotten to turn off my pace alert from the marathon so rather than change it or have it constantly bleep at me I thought I'd do a marathon pace run. I felt great and threw in a few sections at sub-8:00/mi. pace just for the hell of it :grin:

YTD: 538.07 miles.

(Ooopps... sorry - I said I wouldn't post a huge long post again but I appear to have done so anyway!)

• Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hey folks,

First off let me Congratulate Harmander on breaking the 1000, superb running sir and my cap is well and truly doffed.

Thanks all for the wishes it was much appreciated.

Well, my day in Stirling - still a lot of mixed emotions for me. For those uninterested in any sense of drama let me say up front that I missed my goal. Sub 4 was the target I had obsessed about and trained for since the turn of the year - and it eluded me, tantalisingly so.

Got to the race without any dramas and after initial milling about made my way into my pen. Much warmer and friendlier than any pre-race start I have experienced much more general talking to other runners, I wonder if its because you know everyone around you has been through the same hard months you have - anyway the race.

The one thing I didn't want to do was take off too fast - all the advice was watch the adrenaline and take it easy. PAH! fat chance, I felt heavy legged from the very first mile - so I consoled myself that it was advantageous I wont waste energy early I'll just ease my way in the legs will come back to me.

The first four miles at Stirling are flat and I worked through them fairly easily without circumstance, a bit behind 4hr pace. Then the course climbs for the next 6 miles so I got my head down and started working ... thankfully on the climb there are a few towns and villages and lots of people had turned out to cheer us on, which really helped. Upon cresting the climb I had pulled myself back to 4hr pace, I was more or less in position. My legs however felt heavy as they had all day, my quads and calves were faintly twinging telling me how hard I was working. I'll admit to being a little surprised I was sure I had this pace in me. But, I had just climbed to the high point of the course I was generally down hill from here (or so I thought).

The third quarter of any race is the section in which I generally suffer, lack of concentration/fatigue/badly twisted sock/troublesome eyelash whatever it is I usually find my pace drifts. Miles 15-20 were a toil, an agonising toil - the feeling of lead boots I had had since the beginning of the race hadn't passed as I had hoped following cresting the course high point. I went back to focusing on breathing and technique and just slogged my way through them. "Get to the 20 mile marker at 3:03:00" I kept telling myself, be in position and lets see from there. I went through the 20 mile marker at 3:03:33 (ish) I knew the next 6.2 miles were gonna hurt if i wanted Sub-4. Luckily for me, there were a couple of runners up ahead running at that pace and I just hung on doggedly to them.

I took one mile at a time and just grit my teeth 21-9:01 22-9:02 23-9:03 24-9:04 25-9:11

Then I entered Stirling City Centre for the final 1.2 miles - I knew there were a few inclines to be run and a final half mile climb to the finish but it was the last mile just throw everything at it. I can honestly say, I have never felt so exhausted in all my life as I did in that last mile, every gentle incline looked like a Munro - and I ran up that last hill in anger determined not to let it beat me, when I passed the 26 mile marker I knew it wasn't happening, the finish line was just too far away - but I still drove as hard as I could to the line, who knows maybe the watch is wrong? Maybe 2 plus 2 wont equal four today.

But, they always have done and they did today - 4:00:44 it added up to today. I leaned over a railing at the finish and kicked the barrier in frustration. There's nothing wrong with my finish time - many wonderful runners finished behind me with wide grins on their faces proud of their achievement and rightly so! But it isn't what I trained for and it wasn't what I believed I was capable of - I was gutted.

Then I turned around to see my wife smiling at me, elated, giving me a thumbs up - then my wee girl (who was fairly indifferent about the whole thing - 22 months old rightly so lol) and that helped. For the rest of the day all the family and friends who had turned up to support me kept telling me how proud they were - that helped my mood enormously.

However I'm still a bit sick about it to be honest. I'm not sure I would say I enjoyed the marathon - truth be told I'm not sure you're meant to - and if I had dipped under the 4 hours, I think I might be done with it. But, there is no way I'm leaving it like this ... I'll go mad if I don't go under 4 now - but that's another race for another time.

Anyone still awake after all that ;)

29 Apr - 26.2m

YTD: 638.4m
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done Steven! Just sounds like, for whatever reason, you weren't feeling quite right from the start so you did very well to even get so close to your target. Maybe try a flatter course next time too ;-)

Nell - interesting to hear your take on things. Also wouldn't criticise 'charity' runners in any way, but that sort of race really isn't for me. No problem with races that are organised to raise money (the last 10k I did, the race entry fees were for a local hospice) but I much prefer the actual event o be a 'runner's' event too!

Horrible weather down here again today - glad I have other commitments tonight and can't get out for a run!

• Well done Steven, so close! Guess you'll have to have another crack. Unless it's changed and it has been several years since I've done it,  but Edinburgh was a flat course and sub 4 should be no problem for you.

I decided to see what all the hype was about and sign up for the London marathon through the ballot. However as an overseas runner I was prevented but they could guarantee a spot if I signed up with their approved tour group. You can't just take marathon entry, but flights, hotels and their transfers..etc
    I have declined, I wonder how much they make out of this? 

Up early this morning, 2 hour slow run planned. At 2.53 miles tripped and ended up with grazed knees, cut hands and a bruised right ankle. Limped home for 3.81 miles. Will see how it feels tomorrow.

YTD 685.something - was hoping to get to 700 today...
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Steven: Well done but I absolutely feel your pain. Whatever you do, DONT leave it here. Go again. If you fancy a weekend away, I'd highly recommend the Yorkshire marathon based in York. Flat course, well organised, small enough to be a runners event rather than a charity sponsored walk but big enough to be an event. Lots for the family to do in the city, excellent hub at York Uni and plenty of city centre accommodation. Its early Oct. See you there?

YTD: 389.1
  • Well done Steven!

I can fully understand why you were disappointed as you crossed the line... that's why I posted that I hoped you were happy. I know exactly how you feel - but your narrow miss was even closer than mine.

I hope you realise what a fantastic achievement your run was. I recommend re-framing your result to see it in a positive light (as difficult as that can be...). What was your B Target? Was it a new PB... a new course PB...? Perhaps a sub-4:10 was a secondary target? You did fantastically well to carry on when you could feel that you weren't quite on top form - there are many who would have walked or even dropped out - so you should feel very proud.

I too will dangle an alternative marathon for your consideration... Manchester is famously flat with PB potential - would be lovely to see you down here in April next year :grin:

• Or Steven, Dubai in January, flat course set up for a world record. Bit of winter sun?
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Well done Steven, very close but a very good target time for your next one. Does sound like your legs weren't up for it from the start so an awesome time, don't beat yourself up over it.

4.5 miles for me on the coast path last night so 568 Miles YTD

I seem to have signed up for the Preseli Beast in a week & a bit time...24 mile fell race with 4500 feet of climbing...haven't mentioned it to my wife yet :-)

• Afternoon all,

Well quite a lot to catch up on.

Lilly61, Please accept my apologies, In my business one of the first things I was taught is to "never assume" this being due to the fact we deal with live electrical systems, however it would seem I did just that - sorry again.

Harmander, Congratulations on passing the 1000 mile mark, very impressive!

Steven, Well done and brilliant time, as Donnie has already said I feel your pain, so close. I had the same goal in mind for my first marathon last year, however I was well of pace the whole race and finished in 4.23, it took another 7 to finally get under the 4 hours. I am sure next time will be different, at least you now have the experience and will know what to expect in future races. Well done again.

Hobie, 4500 feet of climb, Ouch! Good luck with telling the wife, and if you have any tips please share, as mine seems to not like me booking weekend races, the only plus point is I get a few days of peace & quite afterwards :D 

Nell, Back to running, well done - do you have a nice crisp, white, spreadsheet?

Only a couple of runs to log since my last report as on Friday I did quite a heavy training session which just seemed to half kill me, no idea why, anyway I didn't do anything over the weekend (except for going on the climbing wall with the kids)

26.04.18 - 6.25
    01.05.18 - 10 (Lovely morning for it today)

YTD = 457.50
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Got though another 5 miles last night, not too far behind pro rata now, but I just can't seem to get ahead of the rate!

328 YTD

• Hey folks,

Dubai: I hope you're doing ok after your wee fall. I'm too peely-wally to run in Dubai for four hours ... a milk bottle would start the race but a bottle of Tizer would finish it ;)

Hobie: "I seem to have signed up for" - I do that sort of thing, there are two Stevens; the one who signs up for stuff and the the one who has to train and run them ;)

Nell: Glad to hear you are back running, hopefully everything is going well.

David: Hopefully I don't need to run another 7 Marathons to go under 4 - superb mental toughness there sir!

Thanks everyone for your messages of support and also your suggestions of races, it's much appreciated.

Time lends perspective; which I sorely needed, I didn't achieve a time in a race - I have definitely had worse days lol. Don't worry there is no way I'll be leaving the marathon with a 45 second deficit hanging over me and I'm sure the memory of the feeling I had on Sunday will be a strong motivator in the future.

I have a 10K Series of races coming up rapidly and I'm looking forward to setting a new PB (currently 53:52, but I ran a faster 10K during my HM a few weeks ago, so that really should go) and then a holiday at the start of July. I'll have a think about entering a Marathon when I get back from that - I need to stop thinking about 26.2 miles for a while lol.

Looking at my mileage so far this year suggests I need to re-think my overall target, I'd like to reach 1000 before I go on holiday, that looks tough but do-able and then who knows from there? Hopefully I can get back out for a run tomorrow - I'm beginning to get twitchy lol.

Thanks again all.

YTD: 638.4 Miles
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Evening all

David, I wasnt offended, I get it a lot! My fault for using a ladies name as my username ? 

Steven, a great time really, I would be over the mokn with a time like that when I take part in my first one next year.

Harmander amazing achievment breaking 1000 miles already.... you are a machine!!

Hobie that race sounds like a real challenge.. Beast is the perfect sounding name for it! Ha

Nell, I have applied for London but am going to apply for Manchester as well so either way I will run one of them! I am so excited now to start planning to make this happen.

On to tonight, ran 6.9 miles and am chipoing away at my times slowly but surely as I dip below 55mins for the first time now with a 54.58 min time. Determined to get to sub 50 mins

Ytd 242.58
  • Thank you all,
    If I can do it, so can you.
    Only 10.48 miles yesterday as I build myself up to running Parkrun in 39 minutes with the missus on Saturday - to mark our 39th wedding anniversary. I think the marathon with an option to go for an ultra the next day will be easier.
    Applied for a ballot place for VLM 2019 and alerted a couple of charities to see if I can secure a place next year - one cannot always be sure of securing a pacer place - despite being 55, 1 and 19 seconds within target times over the last three years - an average of 28 seconds.
    YTD = 1012.09 miles
    Guten Abend, meine Lieben.

Dubai - hope you've recovered from your terrible tumble!

Hahaha... Hobie, hope you survived admitting your latest race entry :lol: You sure do like a challenge!

David - I'm feeling bereft and rudderless at the moment as I haven't yet created my next spreadsheet... it's very disconcerting :anguished: It will be one of my Bank Holiday tasks :grin:

Yep - you're pretty much bob on the curve at the moment Andrew.

Very happy to hear you're feeling more positive now Steven - nice new target setting too. Steady when you go back - I think I ran again too soon after Manchester last year but gave myself a full week off this time... feel much better this time :smile:

Woohoo lilly - you're on the marathon roller coaster now! The only bad thing (well... one of the bad things...) is that if you follow a 16 week training plan for either Manchester or London you'll typically have to start on or near either Christmas Day or New Year's Day.

Harmander - they'd be crazy not to pick you to Pace again next year... but I suppose you're right not to assume (eh David?) :wink:

I'm back to my gym PT sessions on Wednesdays... need to work on strength again as I dropped it when the miles started ramping up. Did manage a second post-marathons run yesterday though. 4.73 miles at lunchtime and at quite a clip in the end - 8:37/mi. average pace and at one point a section of 7:06/mi., apparently!

YTD: 542.80 miles.

• Lilly et al,
    you can all check out your fitness/endurance level by entering our Sikhs In The City Dawn To dusk Sunlight Ultra on 16 December (check out  www.sikhsinthecity.org) - you run as much as you can at a pace you want and get rewarded by an appropriate medal but even more even more attractive proposition is the availability of onion bhaji every lap of 2km.
    Every chance of a selfie with our young member Fauja Singh who is now 107.
    Feels weird not performing Polling Station duties for the first time in 26 years - I might as well go for a little jog.
    Salut maintenant!

Harmander - I guess your Dawn to Dusk will always be around that date...? As you know, it's my MIL's birthday and my Dad's birthday at that time so it's virtually impossible for me to join you - much as I'd like to :smile:

Another lunchtime run for me today. My next race is a HM on 24th June - so I did a LT session that was much tougher than I had originally thought (4 x (4 mins. LT, 2 mins. ~10 secs. faster than LT pace))... I had to have a rest after the 3rd rep. :lol: Did manage to spend about 11 mins. in HR zone 5, which I haven't done for ages - nearly fell asleep at my desk this afternoon... luckily didn't have to work in the lab. - probably a good thing for H&S reasons! Came in at 5.22 mi. overall.

YTD: 548.02 miles.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good session Nell (if I understand it correctly!).

I did a tempo session myself today, 1.5 mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo (7:12m/m average), then a mile warm down. 

333.5 YTD (almost exactly 1/3 of the way there!)
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Steven: The 10K series sounds like an excellent antidote post marathon. Good luck and I'm sure PBs await.

Lilly: I'm also hovering over the entry page on the Manchester marathon site, well the 'alert' for next raft of places bit. I'm doing York marathon in October, think I can do a second within 6 months, taking inspiration from Nells recent back-to-back efforts.

Nell: Good luck with the up coming HM, which one is it?

I have my first proper race of the year on Wed 16th, the Askern 10K, I've tried to run shorter and quicker in the past couple of weeks with the aim of 47'ish (optimistically sub 47) finish. Four or fives years ago my 10k times were 44- 45 mins, marathon training definitely slowed me down, at Askern last year I was 48.15. We'll see.

YTD: 405.2
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Just an easy paced 5 miler this evening in the glorious sunshine.

338.5 YTD 
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    I will take a look at that Harmander, always uo for a different challenge!

Just 3.6 miles today but a steady pace of 8.30 in the heat was good going so happy with that.

YTD 246.18 hoping to break 300 now in the bext few weeks 
  • Still no running from me, cuts are healing nicely from my tumble and the swelling has gone down on my ankle, just a bit bruised now. Hopefully I'll try a few slow miles in the morning.