The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    So week 2 of not running! Longest lay off since I started running and a minimum of 2 weeks left yet, trying to keep eating right and been for a few swims instead..

Its difficult though aye... 
  • Cheers everyone for your comments, I'm still grinning like a Cheshire Cat about Sunday ;)

Lilly: March last year I was exactly where you are now. I had run well from the start of the year, was making good progress and then bang! - the niggly shin ache I'd been managing became a constant chronic pain that meant in the early stages of my recovery (3-4 weeks) even walking was painful. I was unable to run for nearly three months and it was absolute mental torture. Keep up the swimming (did me the power of good when I was out - I really threw myself into it) and be patient, it's healed when it's healed ... don't bully it or try to steal a run here or there, they'll just set you back further. If anything an extra week even when you think you're ready to start running it's better in the long run than misjudging it and going back too soon.

If you can get through this period - the rewards are there to be had when you've recovered.

Dubai: Sorry mate, I did mean to answer your question but it went right out of my mind. Off to Portugal, so I'm gonna have some experience of running in real heat this year lol.

AndrewD: Regards the pacer: He's alright in my book, I looked for him after the race to shake his hand but didn't find him.

Back out this morning, legs were heavy (surprise, surprise) but it's done.

19 Jun - 5.85m

YTD: 826.44 Miles

• Enjoy Portugal Steven, only been once but loved it.
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that advice Steven, have taken it all on board! Frustrating but as you say just need to be really patient with it..

Where in Portugal are you heading! 
  • Afternoon,

Lilly, Sorry to hear about the grade 1 tear, sounds painful, lets hope it soon feels better and you can get back out.

Andrew, Seems like you are not having a lot of luck, lets hope the Achilles soon sorts itself out - probably best not to buy that lottery ticket this week :D 

Donnie, Well done on the new Parkrun PB.

Steven, Well what an epic race report, I agree with the others it felt like we were there with you! Well done on the new sub 45 PB, and not forgetting now over 800 miles so only 200 to go!

My week was still blighted by the groin strain, it is slowly improving but still annoying so plenty of swimming instead, but it is not the same as getting out.
    I did go along to the marathon I had planned and just did a half, I ran with a couple of ladies who were running around 6.30km pace which I found fairly comfortable, once I had finished I waited for my mum to finish her lap and then walked her last lap with her, which was nice. The course is a 2.62mile out and back along a service road with Dorney rowing lakes one side and fields and the Thames the other, I really love this circuit for some reason and can't wait to go back and run it again.

This week I shall be mainly swimming again as next Friday 29th I have The Great Barrow challenge marathon "Day 2" I did this last year, a proper road marathon around Suffolk, it was lovely but has got a fair few hills, I am looking forward to this one
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD: 541.1

Time always seems to be against me at the moment.

Main point to make, Steven, what a totally brilliant report and a great effort. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    3 yesterday and 5 today without too much discomfort. Fingers crossed I can get back into some more regular stuff, but I think the 1000 is now gone as a possibility. Hoping for 900 now.

420 YTD 
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    AndrewD said:
    3 yesterday and 5 today without too much discomfort. Fingers crossed I can get back into some more regular stuff, but I think the 1000 is now gone as a possibility. Hoping for 900 now.

420 YTD 
    I didnt think I woukd get it but was starting to push along but now going to set myself a new realistic target of 700 miles when I get going again.

I have 2 more halves this year and a 10k so will hopefully get there.

It does make me realise how well some of you guys do to hit the numbers you do. To show that consistency is amazing
  • Cmon guys a bit more positivity! There's still over half a year to go!

20.6 7.41 
    21.6 5.61
    22.6 4.12

YTD 900.54 miles

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Loads of time to rack up more miles, obviously also taking care not to get too many more injuries. Good to hear your back up and running Andrew & Lilly.

Well done on breaking 900 Dubai, nice work.

A few 5 milers for me so far this week so I'm on 744 miles YTD & hoping to pass 750 by the weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone, weather is looking very promising.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I don't manage more than 23/24 a week tops even when I am fully fit and firing. I need to do a further 580 miles in approx. 27 weeks = 21.5 per week. Possible, if I can get straight back to mileage at that level very soon, but unlikely I think.
  • 10.48 miles on Tuesday and yesterday maKES MY 
    YTD = 1248,.06 Miles
    AndrewD 
    - of course you can
  • Afternoon,

After re-reading my post from Wednesday, it would seem I left of the mileage (must be old age)

12.06.18 - 2
    14.06.18 - 13.1
    17.06.18 - 3

YTD = 592.30

I have been out, but still very stiff and only managing a jog, not run, but never mind I am sure it will sort itself out soon.

I am now doing "Day 8" not day 2 up at Barrow due to a large delivery at work.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Forgot to say,

Best of luck Harmander for tomorrows midnight marathon, enjoy.
  • Thank you David Charman
    I will be taking it easy
    Does anyone want to be a pacer at Hever Castle Marathon on 8 July?
    4 hours
    4:30 and 5 hour pacers required
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I've managed to add a Park run PB at 22.50 and 7.1 treadmill miles since last posting.

YTD: 552.2

I'm not sure our group had to much racing at the weekend, maybe Harmander was at the Midnight marathon, but what a weekend of sport.
  • Donnie2,

You are right,
    I jogged slowly to Parkrun (2 miles), did Parkrun as Tailwalker, jogged another Parkrun course with a beginer, then jogged back home, this made 10.19 miles - and then ran the Dartford Midnight Marathon in the evening (a mini lap to start followed by 8 long laps) I ran the half lap with Kat McVicar from the 100 Marathon Club who had run 50km in the morning in 18:29 minutes but sped up just a tad to run the next 7 full laps at 38 minutes each but as midnight approached and the temperature dropped, I took the precaution of taking a couple of painkillers at the eand of the 5th lap - this helped with the tightening of my dodgy thigh till the end of the 7th lap by which tim the clock said 4:50:00 - as I am pacing at Hever Castle in a fortnight, I walked the last lap to finish in just under 5:44.
    So I ran about 36 1/2 miles making 
    YTD = 1284.46 miles.

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Hey hey troops,

Just checking in to see how everyone is getting on. Good to see some good running happening even if little racing. 

Harmander sensible running as always and knowing your body makes a difference. Something I am going to try to do more now.

Well Donnie on the new park run PB.. Great effort

Andrew its still on, keep pushing for it!

Dubai, Hobie and David all racking up good miles.. 

I am still on the sidelines frustratingly.. I am going to give it this week then try and get out. I have a 10k planned in 3 weeks so am aiming to try and run that but may have to cancel. I just need my calf healed once and for all (hence the listening to my body) anyway keep posting as it honestly keeps my moral up reading them and makes me want to get back out asap!

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Morning all, not posted since May as have been on Hol, managed some high altitude, just no training, so very little to report.

Only done one run really, a stage of the Roach Valley Way, near lovely Southend-on-Sea, and a couple of little training runs. Unfortunately my double hernia(1st diagnosed about 10 years ago) is now playing up, so off to the Docs as soon as I've posted this. :*

May have to have the op sooner rather than later so this year may fizzle out a bit, but am just on track at the moment.

YTD:      491.43
  • Bst of luck with the hernia senidM, annoying little bugger when it happens.

• Congrats on the Pb Donnie and Harmander for the park runs followed by a marathon!

Sorry to hear you're still sidelined Lilly and that senidM has now joined the injury list.

Battling the heat here so runs are getting shorter and slower.

23.6 3.79 
    24.6 3.37
    25.6 6.38
    26.6 3.18

YTD 917.26 miles
  • Glad to see humidity of the last few days gone, started at 0730 33 degrees and 31% and was 38 degrees and 17% at the finish. Makes a huge difference!

10.15 miles

YTD 927.41 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD: 560.2

SenidM: Hope the trip to the Drs was productive. What is the treatment for a hernia?

Harmander: Keep knocking out those marathons. Great effort.

Dubia: Running in that heat is crazy, time to hit the gym air conditioned treadmill?

• Donnie - I hate the treadmill, it really is a last resort 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Donnie2, trip to Drs very productive, got an appt with Consultant next Monday, quicker than it took to get appt with the Doc!!! Means a small op, keyhole surgery I hope, back home same day, but then probably about 6 weeks off any exercise just to make sure all heals well.

So with any luck won't miss too many races, only big one I've got scheduled is Spitfire Scramble 24hr on 14/15th July, but as was hoping for a 60M+ run perhaps might be best if I was unavoidably precluded.  :/

Only real downside at the moment is, its a double hernia, r side giving me all the trouble for now, but when I said "at least I can get both sides done at once, save further surgery in the future" No, that's not the way it works, one side at a time, so..... sometime in the future, here we go again.  :(

Anyway, its all just a blip, and if I miss out on the 1k this year, there's always another run, another day, another year.
  • senidm,
    Do you want a proxy runner?
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I'm already a poxy runner, Harmander, don't need another one.  ;)
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Hope the trip to the Docs goes well Senid and you're fixed quickly.

Almost feeling your suffering Dubai, actually quite hot here in the UK this week but managing to get a few runs in.

We've got our club handicap race tonight...the one I was silly enough to be fastest in last month so tonight I have to start dead last and try to catch everyone...it ends at the pub so worth pushing for.

761 miles YTD

• Got out for a second run today

3.08 miles

YTD 930.49 miles
  • 3.58 miles

YTD 934.07 miles