The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Afternoon all,

Andrew, Glad you are okay, it's funny how you can run 100 times fine then it all goes to the toilet, strange thing this running lark!

MrM2, Some great training and long run.

Dubai, Best of luck in Nepal, as Hobie has mentioned, look forward to the write up.

And so to today, up nice and early and went to pick up mum who was doing a half.
    Weather was terrible, absolutely chucking it down, however as luck would have it, it did stay dry for the whole run and the thunder only started once we had both finished, how lucky are we, now them lottery numbers!
    The course was a 6.6 mile out and back (so 4 laps for just over a marathon) with the aid station in the middle, and it was a new course to Running miles who had organised it. I have to be honest, this has been one of my favourites to date, right along the Thames on pretty good paths, around some locks, under and over bridges with Windsor castle in the background, all in all lovely.
    I managed to finish in about 4.10 (final time to be confirmed) and felt pretty good the whole way round, probably should have pushed harder, I think a sub 4 was achievable today, however always next time.
    As always it was very well organised, and a pretty decent bit of bling.

P.s, Mum walked her half in 4.05

08.11.18 - 6.25
    09.11.18 - 3.75
    12.11.18 - 26.4

YTD = 1104.75
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Lots of interesting 'weather-dodging' going on here!
    Best of all: David...managing a whole marathon! Congrats.
    And Hobie: 15'. Tell us how you are going to prepare for a 10k which involves 'fire-eaters and wolves'???
    Donnie...have to confess to using your tactics today...8km on treadmill, including a 'speed-play' 5k.
    YTD:1345'
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    You do some fun runs Hobie 1495, what with Snowdon and now Running with Wolves, am getting quite jealous.

Well done on the Marathon, David Charman, its a nice part of the world to run round, I've done a few stages of the Green Belt relay around there, starting from Hampton Ct and going along the Thames, v scenic.

Looking forward to the race report, Dubai runner, that's the most exotic venue for a marathon I've heard of, beats Gt Wall of China easily (not that I've run it, just a fellow club member, but about the furthest away I'd heard of before)

And well done everyone else.

Still not sure what has happened to Little Nell, have been quite concerned, thought she might be injured, but I think she's still running (all club athletes are on Powerof10) so......... Be nice to hear from her again!!

For me, still fairly quiet, getting back into it, have just run a few 10milers, Tiptree & Stebbing, and still got another half before the year end, but the 1000 may not quite come off.

YTD        803.73
  • You beat me to it senidM, 
    Good running everyone - I have been trundling along quietly because I did not want to steal the thunder of everyone reaching milestones and fantastic times for races.
    The problemsI have been having have been attributed to sciatica (had similar aches/pains in the past but just used to ignore them). Anyways, a lot of extra stretching seems to be doing the trick - my times were slow during the last week as well as the marathon two Saturdays ago but since last posting I have run the following:

10.19 (including Parkrun )
    12.10 LSR
    making my

YTD = 2204.21 miles

Planning another three runs before taking it really easy at the Peace Marathon on Sunday - will walk if I have to
  • Hey Harmander, I met you at Barking parkrun the week after Richmond Runfest (you commented on my race shirt and talked about pacing) - I must admit I didn't realise who you were until I saw the results later and a lightbulb went off in my brain. So sorry about that! :D

I've logged over 1000 miles this year and have Valencia in a couple of weeks but am benched this week on the physio's advice due to various niggles flaring up. Hopefully they'll calm down as it'll be my first foreign marathon and I'm rather hoping not to have to cancel hotels and flights on top of everything else. :/
  • Hello and welcome Cal.
    Good to connect - I know how you feel but good to hear you are still going to Valencia  Our Sikhs In The City Club Secretary Ghanaya Singh Talewar is doing Valencia I believe - he is chasing 10 marathons before he turns 50 in two years time - he is currently on 70.  He does 4 hour pace when he is in good shape.

• I'm not too far off 4 hours now (I got a PB in Chester of 4:10:42) but I think Valencia's a bit too soon to be trying to hack 30 seconds off per mile. I reckon I'll need another year for that, but we'll see!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...'extra stretching' is the way to go! All the best for your marathon.
    Cal....not the best time to be unsettled in your preps. for Valencia. On the other hand, this is taper time, and you could easily be drawn into too much, too late. Enjoy the anticipation, and hope all is well for Spain. (I ran Valencia last year and really enjoyed it!)
    A fine day today for my second 20'. YTD:1365'.
  • Morning all - 5.5 miles for me last night, which leaves me on 749.5 YTD.

Will be winding down with a couple of easy paced runs over the next few days before a 10k race on Sunday.

• Come on AndrewD, you can still make the 1000 miles - six weeks to go.

Some news on our club project in the local news this week.

Check out the link below

• YTD: 952.3

In light of my up coming 2 x 10k events, I've been hitting my 'four mile' course and targetting 30 mins. It flat and its been still, happy with my efforts.

Dubai: Nepal? is it done yet? Hope it was a success.

Harmander: project look great, good luck and keep the updates coming.

Dave: Congratulations to you and mum. 

Andrew: Hope Sunday goes well, sub 45? (with a fair wind behind you)
  • Good afternoon all, sitting in Kathmandu after an amazing life experience.

I arrived in Kathmandu last Saturday, not a very modern airport with long queues, immigration took nearly 2 hrs! Fill out form, join queue to pay in dollars, join queue to get visa....

Anyway was up at 0400 Sunday for a walk through Kathmandu to the monkey temple at Swayambhunath, a few hundred steps to climb to the Buddist stupa but well worth it. Monkeys jumping around, locals stretching and monks prostrating and touching prayer wheels.

After that back for breakfast and then a trip to the holy river which flows to the Ganges, the Bagmati river - full of rubbish of course - Hindu and Buddist cremations taking place, the men arrive with the recently deceased and after a blessing they are set on fire after their robe draped bodies have been covered with ghee, felt a bit voyeurist for my liking. Then another Buddist stupa, the largest in the world and finished the day with curry and beer.

Monday up at 0500 and live Kathmandu for the countryside, 3 hours to go 75 kilometers to Bhimkori region. Have to park in the valley due no roads and a 3 hour trek up to the village where we were greeted by the villagers, a band and many namastes. They provided a wonderful dinner of vegetable curry, soup and rice.

Tuesday up at 0500 for a breakfast of fried potatoes and cake. Most of us have now dropped from the marathon. Only 4 did the marathon, experienced ultra runners with pedigree. Most do the half, 3 of us opt for a 30k option. We are blessed and set off on a dusty track and before long we are bouldering, climbing rock and trying to run on narrow dust track with a 1000 foot drop with a wrong step. In some places it's hard to determine the way, although every so often there are arrows. Sometimes you just need to stop and imagine where the path is. At the highest point, 2400m or 7874 ft we are blessed and receive a bindi. Continue with the path and boiled eggs, mango juice and fruit we were given, the 3 of us stick together. We pass through houses, rivers and a hand driven corn mill. Children who should be at school but their parents can't afford to send them greet us, there is a bit of a path and then climbing over rocks. There are no markers and gps doesn't work here. 

Eventually we see prayer flags, it's the finish! 30 k in 5 hours 3 minutes with 1692 meters of gain, 5551 feet. We enjoy beer and omelettes. We have a ceremony and receive a statue of Buddha. Only 2 half marathoners finished before me and my 2 fellow runners, the rest finished the 21k after we finished the 30k.

Next day we had to trek out, quads did not appreciate and then 3 hours back to Kathmandu. Yesterday for sight seeing, today flying home!,
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well!!! Dubai Runner, sound absolutely amazing (in the proper sense of the word, not that you've just had a PB at a parkrun  :)) but, I think, rather you then me.

a real adventure, and for you to opt for the "easier" option tells me just how tough/scary that must have been.

Well done you.
  • Sounds like a great experience Dubai - well done!

Donnie - thanks, I'm aiming for around 43.45, based upon recent training paces and race times.

4.5 easy yesterday, takes me to 754 YTD.

• Cheers it was a great experience but confirms that I'm a road runner, bouldering and 20 min miles are not running to me 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew...trust you are ready for tomorrow's 10k. All the best.
    Donnie...when is your first 10k?
    Dubai...what an adventure! I'm certainly with you on the 'running means running'; and have never been tempted by the 'hands and knees' or 'mud-bath' type experience!
    Enjoyed a 10' run this afternoon (first 5' as progression, return 5' steady). Also did 7' two days ago. Gives me 42' for the week. I'll scale down next week, and then two weeks of serious taper; takes me to Malaga.       YTD:1382'. 
  • Wow Dubai, that sounds like a brilliant experience. 30K is hardly a soft option. I'm a road runner myself - I have trouble running down hills (I'm a bit dyspraxic - my brain just freaks out at downhills if they're beyond a certain degree of steepness). I don't think I'd be able to handle that too well.
    After a tentative 4 on Friday and a lacklustre parkrun yesterday, I managed to crank out a 15 today. I wanted to test out a) my niggles and b) new shoes to see if they'd be comfortable enough for Valencia, and both passed. Ran it relatively quickly too. Feel a lot better now.
  • Sounds like an amazing experience Dubai, as you say maybe not your normal race but still running & new experiences.
    MrM2 great weekly miles.
    Cal, good to test out new shoes, I once bought a pair the night before Snowdonia Marathon and raced in them next day...not a problem & took lots of time off my PB.

For me, I feel I've struggled this week, calfs felt sore and just felt lacking energy but got some runs in, including one around the NEC.

1322 miles YTD
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    43:25! Pb by 24 seconds.

8 in total day with warm up and down.

762 YTD 
  • Forgot to add in Friday’s miles - actually 765 YTD 

Email: Jamestheodosius@gmail.com

Gmail : Jamestheodosius@gmail.com

Phone : +1 (863) 438-1348

PLEASE DONT CONTACT ME FOR FREE TRANSFER ANS TOOLS TEST.

*****PROOF OF TRANSACTIONS****
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Flagged above as spam, 4 more flags and it disappears!
  • YTD: 959.3

Dubai: Possibly the most adventurous race we've received a report about. Sounds like a genuine experience. I'm not envious in the sense that I wish it had been me, I wouldn't but i'm envious in the sense that I'd like that person running to be me. Well, I know what I mean!

Andrew: Great PB, thats a very decent run.

MrMM, you asked about my up coming 10ks. I've events on the next two Sundays, Doncaster and Percy Pud.  Percy Pud is an incredibly popular event, organised by the Steel City Striders club in Sheffield, field of 2500 runners and sells out every year in a couple of hours. Both are quick courses. I'm aiming for sub 47. Since last reporting I've done my local park run in 22:45 and my '4 mile' course in 30:11. with a fair wind behind me I should be there or thereabouts. 

Cal; great to have a new name on board, hope you stick around. 
  • Good luck Donnie - if you can hold close to that 7.30mm pace for 6 miles then that gets you there in 45ish minutes, so nearly 2 minutes to run the dregs (anything up to 0.3 miles from my experience!) to get in under 47!

I'm enjoying a nice rest day today!

• PS - race report on the Middle Ground thread on the Training forum, for anyone interested.
  • Fantastic reports - wish I could write so well - makes one think they are there running alongside.

Since last week I have run:

10.19 (including Parkrun )
    SITC Peace Marathon

making my
    YTD = 2261.59 miles
  • Blimey, Harmander, that's a lot of miles! How do you manage to stay injury free on that load? I'm fighting a constant battle with my body even though I do yoga and pilates.

Took two rest days after Sunday so a 7 miler this morning. I'm tapering so mileage is not going to be much for the next couple of weeks.
  • Cal Jones

Its because I don't do the stressful Yoga and Pilates - I have nothing against either than just a personal aversion to both. (Never met a world class yoga or Pilates runner yet) lol

I have increased the stretching routine I have always followed due to self inflicted injuries but to answer your question, I always run within myself and incorporate the strength training by doing more of the repetitive hill running, even stevens, team fartlek and stairs.

Hope this helps
  • Afternoon,

Great to read so many achievements over the last week, well done everyone.

Cal, A warm welcome, well done on the 15 miles and I hope those niggles stay away to allow you to enjoy Valencia.

Dudai, Wow, what a report so much more than a run, sounds like an epic experience, well done Sir.

Andrew, Congratulations on the new PB, excellent running.

MrM2, Nice and consistent with plenty of mileage, Malaga should be a walk in the park!

Donnie, Best of luck for the upcoming 10K's, Andrew has set the bench mark :D 

Harmander, Hope the stretching is helping with the sciatica, great mileage as always.

A fairly quite week for me, as I have another marathon in Kent next Thursday, it is at a country park close to the sea, always seems windy, but a lovely circuit, plenty of wild life and traffic free with fairly decent paths and only around 400ft climb for the whole thing!

13.11.18 - 3.75 Recovery run
    16.11.18 - 6.25 Hill Intervals
    19.11.18 - 6.25 Road 10K.

YTD = 1121.00

Will try and fit in a few more outings before next week, did manage to do 2k in the pool (the last 20-25 lengths I was on my own) Bliss!