The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• I know we've lost Little Nell but have we also lost Steven and Lilly now?

• Enjoy smashing through the 1000 miles Donnie...what's the next target for the end of the year?

I guess some of the races we do over here in Wild West Wales do seem a bit odd...no drugs are involved apart from a lot of cake. The night Nobbler was weird because in among all of the silliness it is still a proper night trail race with timing chips and some passing consideration for safety, it's just that these events hare hosted by small towns who all get behind it and support it not so much of a company doing it to make money. A lot of races around here give a lot of the entry money to local charity.

Hope we get everyone in this group back in touch again, would be great to hear what they're up to.

A couple of runs with my Couch to 5k group and a club 7 miler for me this week.

1346 miles YTD

• Nice negative split Donnie! If the course for this weekend is fast then you should be able to achieve your targets (as long as you don't exhaust yourself by going full out at parkrun the day before of course!).

4 miles for me last night, so I'm up to 790 YTD now.

Hobie - at some point in late December I'm sure someone will set up a new thread for 2019 to keep us all in contact. I think this year is about the 4th year of this challenge already.

• Hey all,

Yeah I'm still lurking ... i haven't been able to put down any more miles. Whatever is wrong with me every time I put down some effort, that's me unwell for another week. I'm planning to run again tomorrow, if it sets me back again ... it's off to the quack again.

Terrific running all you guys, sorry I've not really been around to give you guys the kudos you deserve. Being unable to run is getting me down a bit.
  • Hope you're feeling much better soon Steven.

Planning a C25k group run tonight...it's currently blowing about 30 mph & more than a wee bit wet...they might not thank me for this.

Then we have the first official 5k for them on Saturday.

• Morning all,

Donnie, Well done at Doncaster, slightly over 46 minutes was better than the target of 47 minutes, so I wouldn't be to disappointed. Good luck for Sundays Percy Pud, hope the weather holds.

Cal, Hope you are now feeling better and can enjoy Valencia this weekend, we love a good race report.

Steven, Hope you are back up and running soon - we all miss you!

Hobie, How was last nights blowy/wet run?

And so to yesterday's marathon on the Kent coast, for those who want to skip the finer details 4.30.41.
    I arrived early and to be blunt the weather was bloody awful, blowing a gale and peeing down with rain, we did have a cosy hut to stay in during registration though, and looking back probably should have stayed in there!

The course was one I had run earlier in the year and completed in 4.02, it was clear that was not going to happen yesterday, it was a 3.28 mile loop (8 for a marathon) with a whole 1K straight directly into the wind.

We set off slightly late and the course would have suited Hobie, it was very wet, muddy with a massive lake half way around, for the first few laps we were trying to run around it by going through some trees, but after a couple of laps we were so wet we just ended up running through it, I wish I had taken a picture of my feet at the end (giant dirty prunes spring to mind).

I did manage a consistent pace throughout with a HM time of around 2.08, so fairly happy with my performance, the 1K run directly into the wind and rain was not fun, it was difficult to even walk at times.

I finished 5th from the 27 people who ran the marathon distance, there were a number who did a HM or other distances as this was a "timed" event.

As always a great medal and goody bag, will be back to run the course again, it is lovely in the right conditions.

29.11.18 - 26.2 

YTD = 1171.45

No more planned events this year, but I am going to do a treadmill marathon in a couple of weeks time with a friend from the gym, sounds like a stupid idea to me :D

• David, I like the sound of that ....the muddy bit, not the multiple loop thing...that would mess with my head. Well done.

Cal, enjoy Valencia, looking forward to a write up that doesn't include mud.

My night run was actually stunning, due to one of my C25k folks (kitchen builder) having a work ethic of working until your customer throws you out because they want to go to bed...we didn't set off until after 9 at night, by then it had stopped raining & blowing and we had a stunning sky full of stars...gorgeous. He put together a full 5k without walking or stopping to spew so I guess we're ready for Parkrun tomorrow.

1357 miles YTD

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi All. Some heroics going on here!
    David....Well done on sticking to your steady running for 8 laps! of serious weather. Now planning for a Treadmill marathon???? Life has got to be easier than that!
    Donnie ....Well done on your Doncaster 10k (nice splits). All the best for this week-end. Looks like there'll be lots of weather around, just to see if you are serious about the 1000'!
    Hobie....Great work with your C25K gp. Hope the parkrun goes well.
    Dubai....Have you recovered from the rain experience? And already looking at Nepal again? (For the full marathon? Sounds like an exclusive few who finish..)
    SM2....Sorry to hear that things are not going well. Hope you can string a few positives together soon.
    Me?....Did I mention a serious taper for a week or two? Well, it's been more serious than intended! Have just had half the week in hospital with viral gastroenteritis. Wonderful attention from the 111 service, including an ambulance to A&E. Couldn't walk, and lost all fluids. High temp and HR. Low blood pressure and oxygen count. All dials now back in the normal sector, thankfully, but not ready to check even a few running steps yet. Still over a week to Malaga; will have to see if I can be more than a spectator. Happy.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I am in London still, feeling sorry for myself. No Valencia for me. Just too ill. :(
    Mr M2 - scary! I hope you can recover but don't push yourself to run if it means tanking your immune system.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal; I'll try to be sensible!
    So sorry that you have had to pull out of Valencia. Get well soon!
  • Steven - hope you get sorted and are back running soon

Cal - shame to hear you're also under the weather. I'm sure you were looking forward to some warmer weather in Valencia

MrM2 - yikes, take it easy! Thinking about going to Nepal in March for the Stupa to Stupa ultra, hopefully the trails would be more runnable - it's a 54k run with a 12 hour cut off. Haven't registered, just thinking about it, don't even know if I can get the time off.

David - those conditions sound horrible, well done on completing the distance

30.11 4.37 miles off road
    1.12 no running yet, too much red wine out with friends last night!!

YTD 1659.48 miles

• Sorry to hear of the illnesses afflicting the group. Makes my mild cold of the last week or so seem pretty minor! Get well soon all!

4 miles for me last night, agonisingly leaves me stuck on 799 YTD lol
  • 8 miles achieved this afternoon to take me through 800. Won’t get to 900 I don’t think, but I’d like to get as close as possible.

807 YTD 
  • UAE national day today so the kids were off school and I also happened to be off, I've worked 4 days in the last 3 weeks and have 11 days of work in December- burning leave! Had a great beach day, bit of body boarding and sea swimming and topping up the tan!

Also ran this morning and then again this evening before having to watch football with my eldest.

2.12 8.32 miles and 3.44 miles

YTD 1671.24 miles

• I love the comment by the idiot above saying

Please note that we do not do face meets as we must remain anonymous for our safety.  

Safety from prosecutionperhaps?

Dingbat
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    YDT: 1001.2

9.2 miles since last reporting which was a steady parkrun yesterday and the Percy Pud 10k organised by the Steel City Striders club in Sheffield today. 

Percy Pud really is a phenomenal successful event organised by a local club. Today was the 26th running, 3,000 places sold in a couple of hours on a Sunday evening in October, its incredible for what is a relatively unremarkable 10k. That's not a criticism, I'd much rather give my money to a club than the more corporate 'city' events, its just how its become so popular which is remarkable. Course was more up and down than I remembered it from my one previous visit, essentially an 'out and back' run along the edge of a reservoir.  

My hope, to be honest, expectation was sub 46, I finished in 47mins and 30 secs. I probably blow my chances before setting off. The hooter starting the run took me slightly by surprise, I was still faffing around with my GPS watch and looking at a 'face' saying 'getting location', I consequently started very near the back of the field. With chip timing this isn't really a problem, but the field was congested, passing people was difficult, with an 'out and back the marshalls were understandable very keen to keep you to the LHS of the road as the quicker runners and lead car would be returning rather soon, basically running with people of a similar pace would have been much better.  A first km of 5 mins 40, more or less, ended hopes of the target time. I reached the 'turn' in 25.20, (over par) and home in 22.15 (a birdie to keep the golf analogy going) although with a bit more down hill to help. Big Christmas pudding and a woolly hat for everyone at the end. The mens winner went home £1000 richer for breaking the course record and Eilish McColgan won the womens race.  

Its a good race with much to recommend it but its almost cult status and its sell out within a couple of hours of it going on sale, do slightly baffle me. Have a look at either the Steel City Striders site or their public facebook page for more of a sense of the event.

Hobie: Great work with your C25K group, I hope they enjoyed their parkrun.

Dave C: Another marathon ticked off, the effort should always be recognised. Well done.

Cal: Huge sympathy with Valencia, all that training and no final event, is a real double whammy. 

Mr MM: Enjoy Malaga, enjoy the run, enjoy the sun.

Dubai: Got to love a bank holiday and if the football was Arsenal v Spurs that was some game (I don't follow either side).
  • Am really enjoying just reading the trials and tribulations of everyone, with the overcoming of personal challenges, landmark miles and you name it.
    Almost feel left out as have no more (planned} marathons till 2019.

So, I did the usual Tuesday and Thursday 10.48 miles and the 10.19 miles including Parkrun yesterday. Did a lazy 13.48 miles LSR this morning after which I tied up the loose admin ends for our club's annual Dawn to Dusk event on 16 December - has taken me all day but had some breaks watching the three derby games in between.

Our club runner completed the Valencia marathon earlier today - awaiting for his report back to see if its worth doing it next year (Brexit permitting).

YTD = 2344.45 miles
  • Donnie, great write up, yeah I love club or charity events rathar than big cormprate cash cows...trying not to think Ironman at this point but struggling...great work on the 1000 miles.
    Cal, shame you weren't able to do Valencia, hope you're feeling better.

I gained a couple of extra friends who have run in the past but not for a while to our little group, so we had 7 of us on a damp, windy parkrun in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. They were all brilliant...I of course abandoned them at the start and managed to finish 6th in 22:03. I did retrace the route a couple of times (cool down) to run in with the C25k members. All mamaged to (mostly) run all the way and it only cost me a round of tea & cake. Important thing is they enjoyed it and will keep going.

1361 miles YTD
  • Dubai runnerDubai runner ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Harmander - either the message above your comment has been removed or I'm the idiot!

Donnie congrats on the 10k And passing 1000 miles, and it was the north London derby that I had to watch, my son is an arsenal fan, so he's a happy boy today

8.52 miles this morning

YTD 1679.76 miles

• Lol,

It has been removed - it was one of those stupid counterfeit spam messages. The one which said they do not meet face to face for safety reasons

I think once four people flag it as abuse or spam it gets removed.

Rather emabarrassing as my message looks as if it is referring to yours - I can assure you that it isn't.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

You are doing really well at about 150 miles a month in the conditions you are running in - most impressive.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Donnie; such a popular 10k...and celebrities.
    Was feeling ready to look at a treadmill today. Two miles of walking, warm-up, followed by three miles of steady running, without testing much beyond mara. pace. Got to be happy after nine days of zero running.
    YTD:1420.
  • Well done at getting back at it MrM2

Second run yesterday of 3.92 miles off road and today long run of 17.01 through one of the desert country parks, pleasant 32 degrees at midday!

YTD 1700.69 miles 

• And thanks Harmander although some people would consider me an idiot for the temperatures I run in!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dubai.
    Another outing today; Seafront 10k in just under the hour. YTD:1426' Happy.
    (Malaga this week-end. Not sure if I'll be running or spectating?)
  • Dubai Runner,

Many who know me say I am an idiot without an reference to running - that includes 'er indoors
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Dubai%20runner">Dubai runner</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">I know we've lost Little Nell but have we also lost Steven and Lilly now?

</div>
    </blockquote>
    Hi mate, yes still with you, I have had some personal issues to deal with of late that have meant all my priorities have been there. I am missing my running and you guys bht hopefully will be back on track soon enough.
  • Hope all sorts itself out Lilly.

A couple of runs for me to report:
    Yesterday - 4 miles
    Today - 3.5 miles 

814.5 YTD 

• Good to have you back Lilly, hope everything gets sorted soon.

Lots of weather here this week but nothing that kept me in...lots of wet, muddy shoes lying around the house though.

I found a new route around work on Monday where they've made a pavement to link up a bit of Wales coast path...5.5 mile route.

Tuesday evening was 4 miles with one of my C25k runners. Last night was 7 miles with running club.

1377 miles YTD

• And I'm back. Not quite 100% but I'm much better than last week. I managed a tentative 4 miles on Tuesday and then a better 4 miles yesterday. Rest today (yoga) and will run again tomorrow. Given I've been sat on my bum for 10 days I'm pretty tight, so I don't want to risk an injury by doing too much too quickly. Made that mistake before.

Donnie - I'm sad about Valencia but the training wasn't wasted as the bulk of my training was done for Chester (where I got a PB) - Valencia was really just piggybacked onto that. Anyway, onwards....thinking about Vienna now, but also the halves I have booked before that, where I'd like to shave some more time off my PB.
  • Good luck Lilly, hope things get sorted out.

10.15 miles this morning.

YTD 1710.84 miles