The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks senidM...enjoy your end of year 10', and 2019.
    Enjoyed a 10k run today; only the last mile in a shower of very cold rain!
    My thread tally seems to have strayed slightly from my log total. So, adjusted YTD:1488'. Happy running everyone; never easy to balance everything over the last couple of weeks of December.
  • MrM2 only 22 degrees on this mornings run and only going to reach 29 today, love the winter!!

16.12 3.85 miles
    17.12 7.77 miles

YTD 1761.48 miles

• Harmander,

Just wanted to say congratulations for the "Dawn to Dusk" event yesterday, I have read so many excellent reports from individuals and from other event organisers who attended.
    Maybe a new career as Race director is calling! Well done again.
  • Just click on the race options and further breakdown by gender

Clicking on the runners name will give you lap times - each lap is 2014 m

Only one person has broken 3 hours for the marathon

Nathan Montague holds the record of 48 laps in 7 hours 47 minute run time.
  • It is where we train several times a week.

Thinking of organising a Summer version around Midsummer - calling it 

Dolly Parton Nine Till five

lol
  • Some pictures on our club Facebook thingy

Sikhs In The City
  • Fantastically well done Harmander.

Blustery Parkrun on Saturday in 21 mins... And a bit 4th overall and 2nd in age group... I'll take that.

6 miles around work today. So 1411 YTD
  • 6.01 miles today

YTD 1767.49 miles

• Harmander,

Not sure on the Santa outfit! Well done again.
  • Some pictures on our club Facebook thingy

Sikhs In The City
  • Brilliant, Harmander.
    6 miles for me again today, but as a progression. Not too cold.
  • Thank you all.

Why not take part next year.

Will do a better risk assessment and dress up as Elf with my mate Safety

Terrible I know
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone, for the welcome!

Cal, I love the idea of combining fairs/rollercoasters with race tourism. I see now why Vienna was of interest :) I'm sure you'll have a great time there - I went years ago and remember it being a lovely city. Sounds like York has worked out perfectly - there is definitely a lot to do/see there - and it should give enough recovery time for Valencia if you do decide to go for it next year (you should!). 

MrM2, you've recovered quickly from Malaga, then! Hope the nasty weather conditions here weren't too much of a shock - I was unimpressed upon my return from Spain. Am being tempted at the moment by adverts for a half-marathon in Barcelona in February - could 'pop across' for a night! Might well do it if I can find a cheap hotel - flights aren't too bad...

Harmander - your mileage and achievements are amazing! 

Hobie, think you're right about Valencia and what you're used to - it's certainly a lot drier than wherever your profile picture was taken :D they did have a load of rain/mild flooding a couple of weeks before the race, but it was back to sunshine by the time we went over! Well done on your parkrun.

Am up to 1035 miles now for the year - 2x short-but-sweet early morning runs round a lake and 1x couldn't-face-the-weather treadmill at the weekend. (Had originally been planning to go to a local evening 5-mile trail race, but glad I didn't, as apparently there was black ice on the course and a lot of falling over!) 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai...think I might enjoy your winter! (22C)
    Gipfel...yes, very pleased with recovery from Malaga, and not suffering too much with the temperatures at the moment. The wind and rain are another story! 
    Really enjoyed running Vienna last year; the start is well out of town but the transport is v.good. Great location for pasta party and finish.
    Evening 8' yesterday, so YTD:1496'.
  • Afternoon,

Senidm, Good luck with the end of year run, and fingers crossed for a better 2019.

Dubai, Glad you are enjoying the weather, its just grim here at the moment, absolutely chucking a bucket this morning and dark!

Hobie, Great Parkrun, 4th overall is amazing.

Harmander, Maybe keep to the running :D 

So, to the "Dreadmill" Marathon, I know stupid. I have wanted to have a go at one of these for a while and a local running group "Sussex Trial Events" are looking to put one on for 20 people early next year (apparently the first in the country), the same group have also put on the first "car park" marathon and first "pier" marathon.

My so called mate who I am going to name and shame "Tim" apparently was put on call today (yeah right) so couldn't run with me :D 
    I got to the gym nice and early 06.00 with plenty of fluids, nuts and a energy bar.

I wanted to break the run into 4 one hour sections as follows;

Section 1 - 11km
    Section 2 - 10.6km
    Section 3 - 10.4km
    section 4 - 10.2km
    Hence the 42.2km

All went to plan, the last 10.2 km took 1.03 and with an added "comfort" break after the 2nd section, final time was 4.08.39.
    Surprisingly it was a lot easier than I expected, but probably wont enter the ballot for the run or probably do another one any time soon.

17.12.18 - 8
    19.12.18 - 26.2

YTD = 1258.65

• Hey fellow runners,
    Great running from everyone.

Life is conspiring to keep me out of running rhythm, what with work issues and this and that - the excuses and weasel reasons for not getting out are easy to find at the moment.
    Managed to get back out this morning, very tired and not much fun.
    Sitting in the office today my lower legs keep cramping up - folk in the office are laughing at me as I go for a John Cleese silly walk round the room and then sit back down. No doubt I'm going to leap out of bed at 3am tonight with a searing cramp - I'm going to be popular with the wife! I hate getting post-run cramps.

12 Dec - 4.0m
    19 Dec - 6.9m

YTD: 1089.9 Miles
  • David Morrison 2,

Try drinking more fluids with a pinch of salt in them - my favourite is dead Tizer with salt - keeps the post cramps away.

• YTD: 1047.9

Bit of stuff on the gym tread mill and a bitterly cold parkrun since last posting. 

Dave C: Over the years I've done a fair amount on treadmills but never stayed on beyond an hour. Have to admit I rather fancy the idea of a treadmill marathon. Well done for the mental fortitude as much as the physical side.

Harmander: Well done on D2D, looks a very credible event.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    David C. Treadmill Marathon...? Respect! Interesting plan and well executed.
    SM2...Hope you'll soon be back enjoying your running.
    Another 8' this evening; in the dark again but at least I avoided the showers. YTD: 1504'.
  • 5.8 miles

YTD 1773.29 miles

• David, huge respect for the treadmill marathon...sounds hideous...Well done sir.

Harmander, I haven't had Tizer for years, this sounds like the ideal excuse to try it out again, thanks for the tip :-)

Steven, stick with it, you'll be back to full working order before long I'm sure.

Me...running club handicap 5k last night...nailed it, started 3rd and finished 1st with 2nd fastest time of 19:22...chocolate prize for me (obviously shared among everyone else)

1416 miles YTD

• Plodding on slowly here, up to 851 YTD now.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    David Charman, amazing to have completed a treadmill marathon - if you have the mental strength for that, you can do anything! I once managed 16 miles, but struggled. I actually quite like running on them and use them a lot for interval sessions/tempo runs - but find there's a barrier around 10 miles beyond which it suddenly becomes hugely mentally difficult!

Steven Morrison 2, it's hard to find enthusiasm on these dark, horrible days at the best of times. Hope you can get back into a routine soon - maybe find a good event to enter early next year (which I've just done myself)?

Hobie, congratulations on your 5k!

YTD 1042 miles for me - just gone over last year's total of 1040. The OCD part of my brain is telling me it would have been nice to get to 1100 this year, but realistically there's not enough time now!
  • Howdy folks,
    David Charman - superb display of mental toughness - how interesting was the patch of wall in front of you?
    Donnie2 - well done on the icerun, I mean parkrun ;)
    MrM2 - you look like you've recovered nicely - nice to hear.
    Hobie - nice running sir, where's our chocolate? ;)
    AndrewD - Well done on plodding on - it's more than half the battle.
    Gipfel - change it into km and it's 1676.94 km ... round that up to 1700km before the end of the year ... just a little over 14 miles to do that. In all seriousness, nice work pipping last years total with over a week to spare!
    Dubai - I'm gonna start calling you and Harmander the metronome twins.
    Harmander - I'm gonna have a think about next years D2D, sounds interesting - if completely beyond anything I've ever tried.

Thanks for the thoughts/wishes and suggestions you guys. I didn't have Tizer in the house (and I'm staying away from Supermarkets until after the 25th - scary places right now  :# ) so I had to make do with Apple and Blackcurrant Squash with a pinch of salt in ... not sold on the taste. But, there wasn't a bout of silly walks in the middle of the night - RESULT! I'll have to try the salty Tizer and see if that's more palatable.
    Out this morning for a cold wet wheezing run - enjoyed it in hindsight - but not during ;)
    21 Dec - 4.0m

YTD:1093.9 Miles
  • Ran a 10 miler on Wednesday in the dark and managed to roll my ankle just as I entered the final mile. Really hurt, but I was able to keep going, once I'd stopped hopping and swearing. I miss the light mornings but I guess they will be round again soon enough.
    Rest day yesterday and then did a slow 4 today to see how my ankle was. It did twinge a bit depending on how I landed and it prefers downhills to up but I can manage on it. It's not a sprain - the sore spot is on the inside ankle bone. Did the exact same thing twice during the summer so I'm not worried - it will calm down eventually.
  • Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sorry to hear that Cal ... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie...well done on the 5k handicap.
    SM2...Thanks, and well done for getting out this morning.
    Me? (hangs head in shame) 5' on the treadmill this evening. YTD:1509'.
  • An almost disastrous parkrun yesterday (touring Gunnersbury, and made the mistake of going to Gunnersbury station, not Acton Town which is closer, so I had to peg it to the start in my coat and was then stressed and tired for the run itself). 15 rainy miles today. Ankle is barely twinging now but achilles had a bit of a grumble at some of the hills on today's route. I'm really going to have to get religious about doing my calf raises in the new year.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Gunnersbury stn....nowhere near the park! (Was one of my playgrounds as a child.) Out for an early, drizzly run today (best part of 14'). YTD:1523'.