The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Dave C: Good luck with the marathon this week. Please let us all know how it goes and a bit about the event.

Harmander: Two marathons for the year already, I'm always impressed. Is Wed the day we get the answer to the riddle you set a while ago?

Lilly: Good luck with Brighton - full report required

Well done to the 200 club, you're well on target. 

YTD: 132.2
  • Donnie2 - The answer to the riddle will be on Thursday.
    Incidentally I have two half marathons coming up before my next marathon on 18 March.
    Yes good luck David Charman and everyone else who is racing this week.
  • Congrats on joining the 200 club Nell and Steven and to Harmander on passing the 300 mark! Good luck to all racing this week as well.

First run of the year requiring sunscreen, was 33 degrees for this afternoons run but with low humidity it felt okay. Looks like winter might be over.

9.2  6.01 miles
    10.2 6.46 miles
    11.2 7.21 miles
    12.2 7.68 miles
    13.2 8.16 miles

YTD 276.65 miles

• Thank You Dubai Runner, I have never tasted sunscreen lol.
    Well, I am trying this running every day malarky and t be honest, it is not as bad as I thought it would be - was 13 seconds faster than yesterday over the 13.72 miles.
    YTD = 362.50 miles
    Will see how it goes tomorrow 
  • A tidy 5.5 miles this evening in the light drizzle. Included 3.5 miles at tempo pace (7.15m/m average) in the middle which was fun!

121.5 YTD 
  • Hola mis amigos!

Cheers, everyone!

Sounds like a nice run from you, Lilly - well done on making it out the door.

Congrats, David! Fab run at Worthing... really well done on a nice big PB. All the very best for your marathon on Thursday - enjoy :smiley:

Excellent fortitude demonstrated by you, Steven... really pleased that we've all played some small part in convincing you to go out and get the miles in. Hope your foot feels better soon!

Harmander, well done on your "streak" and increasing pace of runs... good going :smile:

Well done on your 18-miler Hobie - you're so close to that 200 mark now :wink:

Donnie - I've managed to establish that Harmander's news does not relate to a new grandchild (apparently the event has happened to him three times before - if anyone else has any more guesses)... but apart from that I'm none the wiser. We're all on tenterhooks :lol: Ooo - hang on a minute...

Harmander - is it a trip to either Downing Street or Buckingham Palace? Does it involve you meeting someone even more important than yourself!? :wink:

Dubai - you've crossed into "unacceptably hot" territory, IMHO :astonished: Really well done on racking up the mileage in those conditions. How did you adapt given that you previously described yourself as ex-pat Irish?

Nice run Andrew - great increase to tempo pace in inclement conditions... I know how hard that is to do!

Forgot to mention on Sunday - my arms survived unscathed after 20 miles and all is fine... have NO IDEA what happened last weeekend - oh well! Had a tempo run planned for lunchtime today - but that was scuppered by the track near work being flooded in parts and me just not feeling it. Ended up doing a short Fartlek session instead, while the guys did a 60 fast, 30 recover session. My total miles was 3.92 mi. (a lot less than I was hoping).

Did managed to force myself out of the door - a la Steven - to the club track session tonight. It was probably the most challenging one I've done so far: 6 x (5 mins fast, 2 mins recover) + 4 x (30 sprint, 30 recover). I had 7:20/mi. in mind for each 5 min rep. .... and managed to nail it on the head - by feel rather than looking at my watch. The coach even said "that's good lap timing" as I went past him at one point - very chuffed!!! The coach is an ex-Olympian at the 800 metres and one time GB record holder :smile: Session totalled 7.09 mi. incl. w/u and c/d. Making 11.01 miles for the day.

YTD: 215.02 miles.

• Nell, that’s a good session and the miles are building nicely.

To be honest, 33 degrees is fine as the humidity was low, around 20%.

The body is an amazing thing and adapts very quickly to the environment. I’ve lived in the Middle East for quite a few years and it’s my norm, I lived in Baghdad before Dubai and have no intention of returning to work in Europe anytime soon. Crappy weather and tax!! No thanks!!
  • Hey all,

Just a quick update as must sleep! 

3.6 miles today with a PB of 26.30 for 5k! Been trying to break 27m for a while, felt really strong and think without gail force winds could have broken 26 as well.

74.13 YTD

Steven - sounds like a blistering run out for you there (will get my coat)

David Charman - I havent run Brighton before but am looking forward to it, expecting a lot of wind coming in which will not help tired legs!! Congratulations on your new PB as well

Nell - well done Nell on your long run and if your gonna have a cbeat day make it a pizza!!! 

Night all 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Hey Harmander, nice pic of you amongst the London Marathon pacers! Well Done you.

• senidM,
    OMG it is out then?
    I was hoping to keep a low profile - NOT - lol
    I think from those shown I am the oldest - I will be running with Patsy instead of Camilla this year - both are fantastic ladies and runners.
    Another 13.71 miles and 18 seconds faster - at this rate I will beat Mo Farah at the Great North Run soon.
    YTD = 376.21 miles

• Hobie - you're sounding much more comfortable than me on your long runs - 18 hilly miles and feeling good, great news!

Nell - Impressive running at your club session, great control. And great news about your arms feeling better that must be a relief to get that off your mind.

Harmander - 13+ miles every day ... cap doffed again.

Dubai - My warmest run of the year was 9C and that was a freak, mine have mostly been 1-5C, 33 Degrees??? running 5 days in a row - You're a machine man!

lilly - Well done on the 5K PB, and well done on your puntastic post as well ;)

I went out before work as usual, still feeling tired today and I don't fancy a repeat of how I felt last Fri/Sat so I opted for a nice even pace hoping I feel more rested come friday. I think it went to plan, it was a pretty uneventful morning - apart from my foot no longer being sore woohoo!

14 Feb - 11.6m

YTD: 223.4 Miles
  • Nell: Another riddle, GB captain, 800m record holder and now coaching in the north west, google may have to be my friend.

Steve M: Admire early morning runners, other than my weekly 9am parkrun I just cant face morning running. Much rather go late in the day.

Harmander: A question, how many pairs of trainers a year, I'm guessing 4. 

YTD: 140.3 - since last posting an unofficial trot around my park run course and 5 treadmill miles (its cold out and I could watch Pointless on the gym TV)
  • Donnie - not GB captain... ex-Olympian for GB (also European Champs, European Cup and Commonwealth Games) - made the 800 m final of the Olympics, and held the GB record at 800 m - will be interested to see if you work it out.

I sort of guessed the answer to Harmander's riddle (in a separate text conversation) but wasn't allowed to win because I've had too many guesses! :neutral::lol:

• Steven Morrison, to be fair I only did 13 miles for three consecutive days because after the marathon on Saturday i only did 10 odd miles as the recovery run on Sunday.
    Donnie2 - I just counted and it is seven in two years so pretty close.
    Little Nell - you had about three goes I think and although you correctly guessed it among your three, when given a choice as to which one you would stick with sadly you chose your final answer that was wrong.
    I had the honour of being commanded by Her Majesty to attend a reception at Buckingham Palace this evening - I know they don't make mistakes but those commanded (one is not invited but commanded - and you cannot refuse giving the reason you had a prior engagement - seriously) were those who had made notable contribution to the community/society (I was told). I met Her Majesty, Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall and for balance also met Boris. I did see the Prime Minister there too but she appeared otherwise engaged lol.
    I will leave it to Forum members to decide if I have to run the extra 25 miles I said I would do if anyone guessed correctly - or buy Little Nell a bite to eat at the VLM Expo.
  • Congratulations, Harmander - on your recognition! :smiley:

You are correct... I guessed Downing Street or Buckingham Palace and, when pushed, plumped for Downing street *DOH* So I didn't win legally... certainly no Bookie would pay out on that! :wink:

• No worries Little Nell,
    I insist on buying you a bite to eat at the Expo - and rope you in to do some pacing for me lol.
    I still think they got me confused with some other guy who probably done some fantastic stuff but I am not complaining.
  • Congrats Harmander, a great recognition. 
  • Congratulations on being commanded Harmander.

Good news on foot no longer sore Steven, you're still well ahead of me.

Great PB Lilly, tail wind next time & you'll smash 26mins.

Nell, no doubt you're still racking up plenty of miles, I did a 2 run day of 4 miles each on Tuesday & a very pleasant running club 7 miles last night, a lot warmer than anticipated & lovely starry evening after a foul wet & windy day...just wish I'd done an extra lap of the car park :-)

199 miles YTD

• For the record everyone, it was the reception detailed in the link below.

I met and joked with Billy Vunipola who was sitting down - I asked him why and he said he was tired of standing up.  When he stood up I said let me guess what you do and I said I am going to choose between a ballet dancer or a rugby player - good job he has a sense of humour.
  • Harmander - "for balance I also met Boris" - that made me chuckle. Quite the honour, for Her Majesty I mean ;) In all seriousness congratulations on being commanded, lovely news to hear.
  • Afternoon all,

Just a flying visit today, firstly Huge Congratulations to Harmander, well done on being commanded!

Thank you all for the best wishes for my marathon this morning, it was very muddy with a lot of standing "deep" water, my new socks took a battering, however I did still manage to sneak in just below the 4 hour mark (3.58) - whoopee!
    Full report and confirmed time to follow on Monday.

Finally, Good luck to anyone who is running over the weekend.
  • Thank you all for the kind words, it is indeed an honour and I didn't mind missing out on the Valentines Day Marathon in Gravesend for it - i simply would not have been able to turn up on time as i don't drive (never learnt).
    That is why I only did the 13.71 miles yesterday morning and again today when I was a further four seconds faster - in about 2023 I will beat mo Farah at this rate of progress lol.
    YTD = 389.92 miles
    Am feeling it now and by Sunday I would have run every day for 8 days (was going to say on the trot) and about 130 miles.
  • Sorry I forgot to say that is brilliant to David Charman.
  • Well done David and Harmander for your respective pieces of good news this week!

4.5 miles for me today, nice and slow. Am trying to keep myself fresh for a parkrun on Saturday.

126 YTD 
  • Congrats David, great time, conditions sound horrible.

Harmander I'm also on a streak. I'm doing the run til you drop challenge. Basically run either the km or miles of the day. So 1 Feb at least 1 mile/km ... Etc every day up to 28 miles/km on the last day. So 99 started, 56 have dropped so 43 of us left, though I'm doing the easier option of kilometers.

14.2 14.3k = 8.93 mi
    15.2 15k = 9.37 mi
    16.2 16.1k = 10.06 mi

YTD 305.01 miles 

now for a barbie, ribeyes, ribs and beer! It's hot out there!
  • David C - sounds like wretched conditions, well done sir!

Dubai - thats sounds painful to me, I'd have dropped out days ago - excellent running.

AndrewD - I hope your parkrun goes as planned.

Hobie - Great running, I'm sure by the time of reading this you'll have smashed through the 200.

A nice gentle one for me this morning, just taking something out of my legs for tomorrows long one - felt so much more comfortable than last friday ... we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

16 Feb - 5.85 Miles

YTD: 229.25 Miles
  • Dubai Runner -Congratulations in getting over the 300 mile mark. I reckon you will overtake me by the end of the month doing ten straight 13 milers. My mate asked me if I would join him doing the same in miles a few years ago and I chickened out.
    Amazingly I did exactly the same time (to the second) as yesterday but I guess I did do and extra 0.01 mile today so am going to comfort myself in believing I got faster. Almost looking forward to doing three miles less tomorrow. So with the 13.72 miles today my
    YTD = 403.64 miles
  • Harmander- legs are fine but trying to fit in the runs is the issue with work, kids swimming and athletics. Oh and socializing!!
  • Harmander congrats on passing the 400 mark!!!!
  • Good evening all,

Yup Steven, nailed the 200 miles with a nice 5 miles in the sun today at lunchtime, finally some warmth in the sun...Spring time is on the way here in Wild West Wales...Daffs are coming out to. You're still well ahead.

Great miles Harmander Already double my mileage :-)

Dubai, great miles in that heat, think I'd rather add a layer & run in the chilly weather we've got here but I guess you've acclimatized to it & low humidity makes it less than terrible. 

204 miles YTD