Training program with half in 6 months in mind

Hi all,

I am relatively new to running, i can currently cover a parkrun in about 30 minutes but dont run regularly anymore.

I am about 4 stone overweight, and am looking to shift that this year, so have picked out a local half marathon in 6 months as an incentive to keep me going with my running. (Torbay in devon in case anyone else here is going!)

Can anyone recommend a training plan that I can follow? I would also like to fit in some other races inbetween (10k i guess) so at what point in the year / my training should I try to find one?

My local running club is terrible so am going to have to go it alone!

Any other advice very welcome.

Jamie

Comments

• JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

Hi Jamie,

Have a look at Hal Higdon http://halhigdon.com or grab the Asics Run App (free) you can just pop in your race date and a time you would like and it will get you there. The plans usually state which dates to plan a race in but don’t worry too much if you have to swap a few Sunday runs around to fit it in with a race date. It won’t be the end of the world.

Good luck!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie - there are lots of other running clubs in the area, I live not far from Torbay.   Trial a few and see if you can find one you like.

Good luck with the training, remember that Torbay is at the end of June and can be very hot, that can make it much tougher.

See what's available in the area, races fill very quickly now, but you should be ready for a 10k easily by the end of Feb and you have plenty of time to do a few other races before your half marathon.   The more racing experience you have the easier you will find running the half marathon, getting used to pacing yourself and adjusting to differing weather conditions.

• Thanks for all the advice guys. The ASICS app looks great. The app has predicted me a half marathon time of 2:17- does that sound about right (as something to aim for)

where is the best place to look to find runs / events?