Best way to get best time on a 10k

i only started running in November last year. I did a 5k in December which was a mix between slow jog and fast walk all way. I was aware of a 10k this April which I decided I’d do to start with there wasn’t going to be a time limit, but now I’ve been told by the man who organises and runs it there is a 90 min time limit. Now if you do go over that time it doesn’t really matter it just delays everyone finishing and going home. 

The man man has been giving me personal training so does have an idea what I can manage and it has been a long running thing that I can manage more than he thinks proving it on most sessions with him. He is very encouraging but cautious. I managed to run just over 7k on last session which he insisted he didn’t think I would I think he knew I would push to prove him wrong so he pretended to not think I would.

Now or the week before I ran 7k I did 6k but struggled so he was like not sure about me signing up to 10k because he wasn’t sure I’d manage it in 90 min and if I’m honest I’m doubtful, but rather than give up running which I would have if I hadn’t signed up I have signed up and training for it.

theres a few things I know I need to work on speed and distance. I have never ran more than 7k before and like everyone the longer I run the slower I go. My legs start aching a bit after 3 or 4K so 10k is going to be hard. I have been practicing a minute fast run 30 second walk and done a 4K run today but was finding it hard towards the end. I can carry on but find it hard.

The man who organises the run has agreed to do some running with me end of this month and a few next month to help me. I have said I’d like to use same route as the 10k will be on just so I know any hills or anything where I can speed up or need to push myself more. I’m also wondering if a run, walk may work out faster. Like a minute fast run then 30 second walk all way, but doing that would mean the walks would be slowish to let me recover for next fast run. Any advice or tips?

Comments

• sounds like you are doing fine, just keep going.  Don't worry about the time limit just run and try and run as far as you can. It'll take them a while to clear up so they can do that around you.

Can you find a park run near you?  do that each saturday, get yurself a 5k pb and then work on improving it.

running is about perseverence more than anything else, keep going, 7k is an achievement, feel proud of yourself and just try and build a weekly routine of running.
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Yea on the day the time limit is going to be last thing on my mind. I think the main thing that is making me want to really push to get best time is the man who organises it has done so much to help me get better running and he said after last month he wasn’t going to do any more with me. Mainly cos he didn’t feel it was fair on other people going to the group I go to as he doesn’t have time to help everyone. He agreed to do another session end of this month and then completely unexpectedly said he would do a few next month to help towards the 10k. I am finding that I can push myself to run further so by time I do 10k I should be able to at least keep slowly jogging all way. Also another bonus is man who will be having few runs with me could probably change few things round so I have longer or whatever. As long as I manage it in 100 min or less I’ll be happy.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    What you need to do first is to acheive the distance in training. Irrespective of how long it takes. You can certainly begin using walk breaks, which should decrease slightly every week. You should run 3 or 4 times a week, no more and not less and space them out evenly. One day per week run a longer run. This can start at 5k and increase 1k every week. Increase your mileage every week by 3 or 4k. 

Very importantly, though, is that you must run easy. Easy enough to chat comfortably with someone or to be able to breathe through your nose. This is because speed will increase by itself only after endurance. Running harder at this point will hurt your efforts rather than help.

Good luck 
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Will do some practice 10k running as much as I can. I did a 5k today and for first time I wasn’t struggling at all towards end. I went for run with woman I know today and it did make it more enjoyable. I’m going to go for another run with her in 2 week hopefully manage 7 or 8k to get me ready for week after going for run with man who been giving me personal training. Thinking of asking him if we can do the full 10k route tho he doesn’t seem keen on having walk breaks so hoping I will manage full 10k slow running by then.