Losing stamina on C25K!

:/ I've been doing C25K for the past month or so in order to increase my running time. A couple of weeks ago I got to Week 5 and achieved the first run, then I couldn't complete the second run on (a brisk five-minute walk, then eight minutes of running, five minutes of walking and eight minutes of running). I was initially unable to run 8 minutes both times, however I repeated the run another day that week and ran 8 minutes the first time but couldn't complete it the second time.
Last week I achieved 8 minutes the first time, but had to stop after 6 minutes of running the second time. The next run I ran 8 minutes and managed 7 minutes.
However the last run of the previous week (which I done earlier in the day) I could only run for 5 minutes the first time and ran 1 minute several times apart. I put this down to being on my ADHD medication that day, but today, I only managed to run 6 minutes the first time and 3 minutes the second time (this was also earlier in the day and I wasn't on my medication).
What is causing this loss of stamina I'm experiencing? Are they just off days? Should I go back down in the programme or just stick to the 2x8 minutes runs i'm failing to try and build back up again?

Comments

• from a psychologocial point of view i'd take a step back and do last week again, it will still improve your fitness and give you the confidence that you can do that week (which you can and will be able to)

when you get through that try the 2x8 minutes again just as you have or you could start slower

Another option is to try the week before the 2 x 8 minutes but attack it harder

hang in there, keep going, you will be able to do it!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    What they said ^^^

Also, don't underestimate how fatigue from one week can carry over to the next.  C25K is progressive but you can always take an extra rest day and start again if you need to.  Keep going and you'll get there.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    I remember starting out running with C25k! That was 2.5 years and a few thousand miles ago! Don't  worry - you'll get there!

How hard are you running? While you are trying to build endurance, you must go easy in order for the adaptations to occur. No pain no gain is not true. Running harder will not increase endurance and will just wear your body down unnecessarily. Go as easy as you can.

Also, structuring the week properly is important. Space out the sessions so that they are sandwiched between rest days. If you feel you need an extra day or two off, take it! You must learn to listen to your body. You can modify any day if you don't feel up to it. You can repeat a day or week if need be. 

There are a lot of physiological and biochemical changes you're asking your body to take and it may not be able to keep up with the 'official schedule.'

Good luck!