Macros and Running?

So I’ve been running for a few years now. Like most of you, I’m sure, I’ve had ups and downs in my consistency, performance etc. Last few months I’ve only been running 1-3 times a week (depending on how I’m feeling). Whereas last year, I was running 4-5 times a week... and at a 7 min/mile average. (5 miles per run on average)... now I’m doing 8-9 mins/mile and only 3 miles per run. So definitely slacking. 

I really want to get back into running consistently and want to see a boost in my performance again. I was motivated to start a thread on diet... wondering what other runners eat? In terms of macros especially. I know as runners, its emphasised that we include carbs as the bulk of our diet. 

I’ve been vegan for close to 4 years and I’ve messed around with my diet for a long time, always mixing things up to figure out what’s optimal for me. I’d followed a lot of runners on youtube and things who were really into low fat, high carb diets.... and my performance was good following this. But as someone who’s never had skin issues, I started noticing small breakouts in my chest, which I can only assume was hormonal, relating to a low fat diet? I maybe wasn’t getting enough of the fat soluble vitamins in? 

Since, I had tried a higher fat diet, including lots of avocados, olives, coconut, nuts and seeds... I noticed a huge improvement in my skin again, though my performance became really sluggish?

I guess, I’m curious to know what you’re all eating? What foods do you find boost your performance? What macro ratios suit you more? Have you tried low fat, high carb? Or low carb, high fat? - How did you find each affected you? Etc. 

Comments

• Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to deal with the eating disorder (veganism) before worrying about athletic performance.  
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Silly comment above (and I’m not a vegan). 

As a Type 1 Diabetic I eat LCHF. When I occasionally track what I eat, it ends up being around 15-20% C, 35 -40% P, 40-50% F. I guess I am used to it as I have eaten this way for 3 years now. I stick with this for all long runs for marathon training and it works great. If I am doing a shorter race I will include a banana and some cashews with breakfast. 

I’d say it’s most important to do what makes you feel best. Performance in running certainly shouldn’t come at a personal health cost. Everyone is different so take your time establishing what works for you.