Remembered to post some lyrics today:

It's cold outside
and the paint's peeling off my walls

Not only is it cold but wet too.

So,  more TM running then.

Fingers crossed for a dry weekend.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics (as it was International Women's Day) were Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves by The Eurythmics.

Sorry you aren't able to get out again chicksta.

Glad you had a nice evening Alehouse.

What are people's thoughts on racing a 10k the week before a marathon?

What:           short and easy
    Why:            half on Sunday
    Last hard:    not playing catch up after taking Wednesday off
    Last rest:     7/3

Lyrics - thought I did but reading the second line I'm less confident.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Benjy  +1 for showers at work. We have one but it's 'reserved' for the use of directors only. It's about 50 feet behind me and I see it used about once every three months. I did ask to use it when there were tube strikes (I ran in) and for the Trump / Brexit / Election votes (worked overnight so trained in the evenings). Was turned down as it would 'set a precedent'. Sat here all sweaty instead.
    LmH - On the basis that some elite (Paula, Zatopek) have dabbled in the marathon and 10k at the same Olympics, I guess it depends how quickly you recover. I'm not sure I would as if the latter race doesn't go to plan then I'd be forever wondering if it was the 10k that was to blame. I might run it but not 'eyeballs out' fast on the basis a week back is usually 10-12 miles easy anyway.

What - fitting something easy in.
    Why - Some idiot (not me) has scheduled a meeting for 12-1pm today so that may disrupt lunchtime running. I could go afterwards but will likely be starving by the time I get back (I normally go 11:30ish)
    So maybe tonight for an hour
    Last rest - 15/12
    last hard - Tuesday
    Yesterday was just a 5k with 8x100s fast strides. Then coached the kids (relays) and as sure as night follows day with this session there is always a prime number of them (31). So I ended up making it 4 teams of 8.
    An unofficial ~20 60m strides on grass too then!

• That's pretty pants about the showers Dustin. I know that Paula would advocate racing a 10k the week before - but unfortunately I'm not quite in her league:-) If I did it I know I'd race so need to think about it. I do recover quite quickly usually and it is only 10k.......
  • Dustin: Meeting ruining a run oppurtunity, I guess we all know that feeling, got to get the run in, when? then! Then something scuppers the plan. Work/normal life needs doing, but let me get my run in...

Knackered my left knee, think through Taekwondo overstretching, ok walking forwards and squats, slight turn to left/right ouch! Hoping it is one of those 24 hour things, planned a long run for tomorrow. Still it is Friday, posh lager day! Sorry AH, I mean Spotted Peroni Badger Nest day!

What: Gym session, up, down, up, down with heavy objects. Bench work, no leg interaction, then load of work to get through when get home
    Why: Rest legs, but get hour of activity in
    Last rest: Can't remember if running and gym is combined activity
    Lyrics: Agree with LMH, thought too easy! then second line threw me off. I have a guess, but not confident it is right

Have a good Friday chaps

• P.S. Not sure why the little icon/avatar next to my name shows a frown, it's a bit miserable looking, only just noticed that, might have to change that.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Dustin: That's pretty pathetic. I hate it when a class society is applied in the workplace :angry: And very annoying that your lunchtime running plans are being disrupted.

LMH: I wouldn't coz I'm dead scared I might get tripped up or tear something going too fast. I'm also usually feeling really shite the week before the marathon and a lacklustre 10k performance would mess with my head on marathon day ...

What: 13k on the TM plus upper back strength work
    Why: rubbish weather
    Last hard: being stuck indoors 3 days in a row again. My feet hurt like hell. Looking forward to some road running at the weekend. It will be wet and windy but at least it's going to warm up.
    Last rest: 1/3

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Lyrics: of course not!

LMH: usually the National 6 stage relays take place the weekend before the London Marathon. Lots of people race a long leg (5.4 tough miles, thereabouts, and harder than most 5ks) and then run London. 

What: hydrotherapy pool shortly

Why: get that back moving

And where's SC?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I was thinking that SC was MIA yesterday Alehouse and then Benjy posting about TKD brought him to mind again this morning. The 10k is a trail one, the one I ran last year and missed the course record by 1 second (despite not having the fastest race and nearly getting run over by some deer!) and this year it's on my actual birthday so I'm extra tempted as it's a good excuse to go and see my friends who live locally. Hope the hydrotherapy helps.

Hope you can get outdoors at the weekend chicksta. As I proved before London last year I'm perfectly capable of falling over whilst just out for a run so I'm not too worried from that point of view:-)

Enjoy your beers Benjy!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon again!

Thought it might be that particular race, LMH...and quite possibly the sort of race that one recovers from more quickly than relentless road. And as it is on your birthday...

Hydrotherapy session was particularly good, and as long as there is no reaction the physio says we will be on dry land next Friday. Appointment is booked, and it may well include time on the anti-gravitational treadmill.

And quite possibly no ale for me tonight as my mate that I go out with every Friday (well since 1974 anyway), is not available until Monday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good news Alehouse! Is OH not still about?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Evening all

full of cider and indian here

easy morning run

Of to Soton tomorrow to see Daughter so will take in the parkrun first, then Surrey Half on Sunday

Benjy - sorry to hear about the knee

Lyrics - Possible