Options

Sunday 11th March 2018 - I am happy

Morning.

Lyrics - I am happy
            That I have you

A foggy start here and the same forecast for Retford - hope that clears quickly. Mark has decided that he doesn't feel well and doesn't want to go - not stressful at all. I'm hoping that P won't mind driving but am waiting to hear back from him.

What:          hopefully Retford Half
Why:           I'm not sure at the moment
Last hard:   not being mad at Mark (he's fine)
Last rest:     6/3

Yesterday's lyrics - Flesh and Bone by The Killers.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh dammit LMH. Hassle is the last thing you need you onto of race nerves....
    Hope you get there and have a good one.

Foggy here too. Seeing my parents for breakfast and then I hope to get some miles in.
  • Options
    He's now decided that actually he wants to go and run.................and breathe. Mother's Day dinner out for us chicksta. Hope you and your parents enjoy breakfast and the fog lifts for your run, it's not great with the asthma.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Hope Retford goes well, LMH!

What: walk and possibly the fitness suite

Why: beautiful morning/not been since Thursday.

Think I have someone to help cut the flooring.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Men,  LMH......

Good that you've recruited some help, ale

Fog has lifted to turn into a gorgeous spring day with 15 degrees. Wow. Loving it.

What: a little over 15 miles or 25k
    Why: on a day like this...
    Last hard: not doing more but that would have catapulted my weekly total over 63 miles and I want to build back sensibly
    Last rest: 1/3
    lyrics: no
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Afternoon!

Less of the "men", Chick!!

And well done LMH!!! I have a suspicion that the course may have been a little tougher than you imagined it would be, so if I am correct you would be quicker elsewhere! Think you should be pleased!

Ended up getting carried away and got into a routine laying the floor: finished apart from skirting! Help not required so far!

What: just a walk. 

Why: too much time spent on floor laying. Kept taking rest breaks though!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    It definitely wasn't quite as flat as I was expecting Alehouse. Glad you've found a way to do the floor - hope you haven't upset your back.

Sounds like a good run chicksta. Well done on being sensible.

Well, how not to prepare for a race continued after mark had decided that he would go and run after all. We went and picked up P then set off, about five miles from home Mark announced that the car was over heating badly and we'd have to return home. P offered to drive so we went back to his and swapped cars but he didn't have enough petrol so we had to divert to the petrol station so we were about twenty minutes late leaving so the spare half an hour we should have had was just about gone. Arrived at the race venue ten minutes before the end of race number collection but the car parking was full so I was designated to jump out and get everyone's numbers if I could whilst the boys went and parked the car. I collected the numbers but there followed an anxious wait (with Mark not responding to my text message) to see if the boys would make it back in time - I had three numbers but my kit was in the car............

Eventually they showed up at which point we fortunately realised that I had inadvertently put P's number on. Cue a hasty change. I was in the queue to drop my bag when the man next to me took a gel out of his - reminding me that I didn't have my inhaler - just over ten minutes until the start of the race and P appears and tells me to go and warm up and he'll sort my bag - hero of the day. A nice mile warm up finished about two minutes before the gun went off so I put myself about four rows back from the start (there are a lot of whippet club runners at this race) and off we went. After a mile or so there were two women running with me and someone aid that the first of these was fourth lady so I assumed there were some fast ones up the road (the first woman ran around 1.20 last year). I soon settled in running with Matt, the only Shelton Strider in the race (he told me, they are my old club). and we had a nice few miles chatting whilst the two girls and I swapped places until by the half way point and an out and back section there was one in front of me and one behind, it became obvious here that the shout had actually been 'first woman' as I was very definitely in second which was most unexpected. I had seen though that there were quite a few women relatively close behind. At about 7.5 miles still running with Matt I caught first lady, closing on her quite quickly so I assume she was having a bit of a bad patch. I then started catching and passing more men who would give the occasional 'first woman, god running' to which my response was usually - only if I can keep it up! I lost the will to live a bit around mile 9-10, just wasn't sure why I was bothering and if I could keep it up but thoughts of Poppy being ill and being unable to run gave me a better perspective so I stuck the smile back on and got on with it. I had been warned that there was a bit of a hill around mile 11 but this turned out to be a bit of a drag more than anything though I did record my slowest mile. Matt pulled away a little at this point and I was wondering who was behind me and how they were doing but reminded myself that I could only control what I was doing. Fortunately it was all downhill from here which I love, nice, gentle, let your legs turn over and go past lots of men for a couple of miles and I made the best I could of it. Crossed the line in 1.24.08 gun time which is one second over my PB - but chip time was 1.24.06. A one second PB! Older and faster is the way to go:-)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report LMH! Didn't spot the pb! Definitely more to come on a quicker course! Hope prizes...and lunch...were good! How did the boys do?
  • Options
    P PB'd by over five minutes:-) Mark was faster than he was expecting. We are out for Mother's Day this evening so lunch was a roll eaten waiting for the presentation, plus date and oat flapjack I'd made plus everything that hasn't moved quickly enough since I got back from walking Grace this afternoon - I seem to be inordinately hungry. Prizes slightly unusual, a glass trophy thing, £30, a voucher for some VO2 testing too far away for me to use and non-transferable and a voucher for a pair of New Balance trainers (like them or not!) only valid on the day or at the Lincolnshire Runner - fortunately they had a pair of the NB equivalent to my Bostons in my size so I have those to try if I dare.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    oops, not with it today, posted on yesterdays thread..

well done LMH and Mark

Afternoon all

Surrey half - don't know how it went as never made it (out of bed in time), lock and stock of it I was just too dammed tired, rolled over and went back to sleep, nothing lost as won the entry anyway....

So message went on facebook to the club, and lo and behold a group going out on the ridgeway.... so a nice muddy off road 11.75m with company, and a comedy slide into a puddle that gout me rather wet. followed up an hour ago with a 4.25m progressive run. so has been a good day all in all.

All that has helped take the sting out of Mums passing 10 years ago today and equally hard as it is Mothers Day.

Take care all
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    RFJ: good use of the day.  Your body must have needed those extra zzzz

Great report and result LMH :+1:
    It always amazes me how you knock out these superfast paces without ever practising them in training. I would never have the confidence to try something in a race that I haven't tried in training for a couple of miles...

That must have been a good confidence boost post January illness :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening again!

Interesting mix of prizes, LMH! Apart from wearing them as slippers I wouldn't use the New Balance until late April! Stick with what you know until then! Actually I know a few people who swear by NB, BR being one. Any idea what you went through 10k in? 

Yes, Mothering Sunday can be quite difficult, RFJ.

• Options
    Great report LMH I am so pleased you Pb'd with all the drama at the start well done and enjoy your well earned prizes! a Great result after a bad January with illness :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Oh wow! Sounds like you all had a successful day? Congratulations!