Monday 12th March 2018 - Your love's a heartache

Morning.

Lyrics - Your love's a heartache

Thanks for the comments.

Don't worry Alehouse - I won't be running in them for the next few weeks. I've entered Boston.

chicksta - it's hard to explain but I don't try to run at any pace in the race I just run to feel as I do in training and whatever I get is what I get, sometimes I'll ease back a bit and sometimes I'll try to push on but that will only vary the pace by a few seconds a mile. Not sure if that makes sense.

Sounds as though you needed the sleep RFJ.

Heavy rain forecast for us most of the morning and I have a sore throat so I probably won't do the LSR I was sort of planning. I don't want to make myself ill.

What:            easy miles
Why:             recovery/being sensible maybe
Last hard:     yesterday's stress wasn't easy to deal with
Last rest:      6/3

Yesterday's lyrics - It Doesn't Matter by Depeche Mode.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Yes, I knew about Boston, LMH, hence saying not wearing until later in April! And if you were even thinking about a LSR you didn't run hard enough yesterday! Hope the sore throat comes to nothing!

What: walk plus fitness suite

Why: the nearest to running, and I didn't get to the fitness suite, again, yesterday. 

Back is no more sore after the floor laying than it is on a usual morning.

Lyrics: no

Not long now, Dibs
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

LMH: well done again and I hope the sore throat does not develop and you can have a good run.

What: 4,5 miles
    Why: first run since Tuesday and taking it easy
    Last hard: Last week
    Lyrics: Yes I believe so
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning
    LmH - wowzers, well done to you and the boys, outstanding effort!
    What - easy run
    Why - knackered
    last rest - 15/12
    last hard - Yesterday: 9 mile recovery on tired legs after Saturday's LSR.
    lyric - possibly

• LMH: Amazing! Well done. Fastest half for me is 1:44, can't imagine getting near that.

AH: Floor laying! Sympathise. Easier to pass an SAS selection.

What: 7 miler after finishing current work load
    Why: Just to make sure it all still works
    Last Hard: Saturday an 18
    Lyrics: Just got 24 points on Ken Bruce's Popmaster (yes I stop for Popmaster, who doesn't, it is a moral obligation) but this one, not a chance. Hurumph!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

LMH: Looking at your stellar performances it makes perfect sense :) Having said that my best races were when the Garmin broke/failed and I ran to feel. Food for thought. Although my days of PBs are long gone.

Hope the sore throat eases.

That's not Boston, Massachusetts though, is it?

Poppy: Glad you're running again.

Ale: Good news re. back

Benjy: I'm drawing a blank with todays's lyrics too ...

What: 5 very slow recovery miles
    Why: went long yesterday
    Last hard: looking at the weather forecast
    Last rest: 1/3
    Lyrics: no

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Fitness suite d&d and did my glute exercises for the first time since early January without them affecting my back...or I hope it hasn't. Plus exercise bike and single leg presses for the Achilles.

Walk of some description this pm. The weather is pretty foul.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lmh, you never ever fail to amaze me! what a start to a race, Adrenalin must have been going bonkers!!
    Alehouse good good hope that is right!
    chicksta nice miles
    benjy nice miles also and nice points on popmaster!!
    wp, hope you are feeling better
    lyrics no

What: 3 later
    why: didn't want to this morning
    last hard: yesterday am 3 off road
    last easy: 31/12/16
    happy monday all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

So, how many races so far, Wabo? And more importantly, anything planned for Saturday?! 
  • It sounds as though you are making progress Alehouse - I really hope that's the case. Obviously didn't try hard enough yesterday as legs were fine this morning.

Unfortunately not chicksta, Boston Lincs (though flatter I think!).

Benjy - it took me  along time to get there so don't write it off, if I can get older and faster I don't see why you shouldn't:-)

I was somewhat stressed to say the least Wabo, I did my fastest warm up mile ever - just needed to let some of it go I think!

Time for a day off Dustin?

It was foul out this morning, cold, wet and breezy and it just kept getting worse, I was ankle deep in water in several places and gradually got colder and slower so just did a MLR. We have had heavy rain all day so I think tomorrow's run will involve wading rather than paddling:-(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Managed to get a walk in (Burnage parkrun from Tesco, OH). And not seen you on here for a few days! Managed to avoid the rain, just. 

Back seemed a lot better but then made the mistake of ironing some shirts for the rest of the week. Surprising how much the back is involved and how one-sided an activity it is, for me anyway! Hopefully a little anaesthetic later will help (out tonight for an hour to make up for Friday).

BenjyLMH's story of improvement over the years is a tale of hope! I was first aware of her when she was trying to run her first half (I can't remember the time but LMH was aiming for something like 2 hours 30). After years of steady running, she now sits at 8th on the all-time list for the marathon for her age group...and there is no reason why she can't go faster in 2018! Consistent consistency, lots of miles, mostly easy. (Hope that is a reasonably accurate resume, LMH!) Inspirational!

• AH: It's interesting you say that, and really positive thing to discuss and share, it is really appreciated and an inspirational story (LMH). It goes to show that people can achieve really great things where they did not expect it. There must a huge amount of interesting/inspiring backstories on here.

With myself I spent my 20s living in London boozing every night (the Alton Towers of pub land), eating takeaways, when I came back up north at 30 I was four plus stone overweight. People who didn't know me then can't believe the pictures are of me. One day 11 years ago I thought I'd go for a run, got to the end of the road and nearly spewed. I started for the wrong reasons to lose weight only, I had to find a hook that made the activity interesting and let weight loss be a by-product, so I turned it in to my own mystery tours. I gradually built up 1K, 1.5K then kilometers to miles, 4 miles I perceived as being a marathon, now it is 6 to 8 miles as an average run and do roughly 1500 miles a year.

I try not to run for speed or competitiveness, but more for the getting out 'sightseeing' and maintain general heath. I did my Masters focussing mainly on intinsic motivation (play and curiosity) and extrinsic motivation (reward based)  as it's a subject I'm really in to, I won't go in to that too much as I can get boring about it, but I try to run for enjoyment at that moment in time (intrinsic) and not time or achieveing PBs (extrinsic) as it is what makes me keep at it. For me a good time is a bonus and an absolute delight if it happens.

Just like these Popmaster style threads, add an element of play and curiosity in to a different activity then suddenly it becomes a difficult animal. When I saw the Talking Heads post last week I was drawn in, but then the answers that are not known the curiosity is even better "what was it? what was it?"

With all this in mind why did I enter 10ks then halfs and then marathons? Don't know, does it go against everything I've just claimed? Don't know really, I think it is something to look forward to and prove to myself.

Either I look back now and think I am so glad I started running, best thing I did for many reasons. Sorry bit over-sharing, I'm a bit like a fish biting at the bait there.

Cheers AH

• That should say different animal above not difficult by the way, sorry a hurried typo.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Glad you're hooked, Benjy!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    evening all,

quick post 

Club run 6.25m with a few faster miles

Work continues to be busy

Lyrics - no

Take care