Tuesday 13th March 2018 - I have the time so I will sing yeah

Morning.

Lyrics - I have the time so I will sing yeah

Benjy - Alehouse is nearly correct (it was sub 2 though Alehouse). It was 2004 when I started running this time round. I agree with your intrinsic motivation, my primary aim is to enjoy my running, if running isn't enjoyable why would you do it? It is supposed to be something that we do for fun. Having said how important I think it is to enjoy the process I have enjoyed getting older and faster though that actually came about because of a bad bike accident which stopped me swimming and cycling (I can do both again now but not as I did).

Haven't seen SC for ages Alehouse - has he been parkrunning? Hope the ironing hasn't aggravated your back after you got away with doing the flooring!

I had some GI issues after my run which mostly settled Sunday evening but were rather troublesome during my run and for the rest of yesterday, feeling slightly delicate in that department this morning so will have to plan my route around floods and available pit stops I think:-( Also noticed in the race photos that I'm striking on the outside of my right foot, I have felt this to be a little sore after some longer runs though it resolves quickly, not something that I've noticed until the past few weeks so I don't know if it's related to my knackered knees or what. Physio has forwarded said photos to the pod for an opinion. I have an appointment with the pod tomorrow anyway (though only for a foot scrape) so hopefully she'll have some ideas and I just need to strengthen something. I have to say at the moment the stomach feels like the bigger issue.

What:            easy miles if I can/maybe gym
Why:             need the stress relief before work
Last hard:     getting warm after yesterday's run
Last rest:      6/3

Yesterday's lyrics - Here Comes The Rain by The Mavericks.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

LMH: was sure you were slower than that to start with, LMH! Great progress anyway! Hope it continues, and hope the foot problem sorts itself out with appropriate exercises. 

SC did indeed parkrun. And where is Emz? And OH  hasn't posted since last week. 

What: walk and fitness suite

Why: I can. Back is not so bad now I am up; was uncomfortable at times in the night. 

Lyrics: well I wouldn't score any points on Popmaster.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

LMH: I hope you have no issues this morning and have an enjoyable run.

What: 1.5 miles run 1.5 mile walk
    Why: Stabbing hip pain
    Last hard: See above
    Lyrics: nil points for me

Totally gutted about pain but I am hoping with stretching some magic cream it will be okay if not I will be walking lots till it is repaired!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Benjy - Although not in the same league as LmH, I've managed to hit a reasonable spell of consistency (and faster) running a bit later in life (I'm 51). Much of that is down to having the time: kids older, less pubbing, less inclined to work late.
    I ran my quickest marathon last year for around 10 years (3h20) and although my half times weren't quite up to it, I did three consistent ones when I really wasn't going 'eyeballs out' (~1:35). Oh and fastest 800m & mile time, again for at least half a dozen years.
    I agree though - you have to enjoy it. I relish those hard track sessions that leave you close to (or in) the puke zone. By the same token, those long runs through the countryside and the recent snowscape are equally rewarding.
    What - club marathon group VO2 max set: 5x1k
    Why - puke zone beckons
    last rest - 15/12 although yesterday was a mere two miles back from a QoP pummelling
    last hard - QoP elbows. 
    lyric - familiar....
  • LMH: Getting better with age is spot on, I was really active when young, then seriously unfit from 20-31 out of breath from a small flight of stairs unfit, now in 40s am the fittest I've ever been. Got two daughters (9 & 8) so am glad I made the change when I did, but because of this I haven't seen a natural age decline because I was so rubbish, really rubbish in my twenties/30.

Dustin: That is superb!, outstanding, that is inspiring me to think should really go for it for VLM2018 and see if I get the best time I can when I had settled in my mind to having a 'fun run' 4-4.5. I got 3:42 for York in October, it was a masssive effort for me but not uncomfortable, feel I could have pushed it more, but then again is that what a lot of people maybe think afterwards on reflection, if only had taken this and that stretch a bit quicker, not slowed at that stage, keep reserves in the tank in case start flagging later etc. What you have said there I'm thinking should I really give a try and aim of 3:30 (if possible) massive effort for the event, then back to my running normality after the event. Um... what to do? If I do I reckon I will need to stop at a London travel lodge on the Sunday like Alan Partridge and travel back Monday morning.

Bit of advice then if I could ask you folks that are more experienced marathon runners to me, what advice would you give to not burn out in the last quarter. Is just a case of speeding up my 16/18/22 milers now prior to event? I think that was my thing last two marahons, push hard to keep going but don't burn out, you don't know what the last quarter will need. Psychological approach, physiological approach, both? Sorry not an easy question and sorry another waffle/essay.

What: Dumbbells day
    Why: Leg and knees reset
    Lyrics: Rather not say. Hurumph!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Benjy: Brilliant story. Thanks for sharing. And there's no reason why you shouldn't get faster. It may just happen as you put consistent mileage in. I only took up running in 2008 because of a silly '10 things to do before you hit 40' bucket list. You can guess that running a marathon was on it. With only 8 weeks of something very vaguely resembling structured training I managed 4:07 in April 2008. Loved :heart: every single training session and was hooked. I got a teensy bit faster every year until 2013 (1:34 HM and 3:24 full marathon) but then I had a serious back injury and from then on I struggled big time (bad running style leading to stress fractures and all sorts of issues). To cut a long story short: My injury is (hopefully) history and I've started running again in September last year, building back to marathon distance for the autumn. I have a ballot place for Berlin. Never thought I would run pain free again but so far, so good. These days I don't care about times anymore. I'm just so glad I can run without pain and simply go out there and enjoy. Even the treadmill has its appeal on certain days :) So, I'm with you on the intrinsic value.

Dustin: enjoy the puke zone :hushed: - rather you than me

LMH: Hope the GI issues settle. That's when I usually resort to the treadmill ... Interesting re. foot. Sometimes race pics can be quite valuable.

Poppy: oh no. Sounds awful. Do you know how this came about?

Ale: Glad the back is ok now.

What: Gym session and a bit of running
    Why: tired
    Last hard: the cold weather is set to return (they call it the Russian Whip over here)
    Last rest: 1/3
    Lyrics: yes

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    great post benjy yesterday, love your reason for starting and continuing
    great post too ah
    great advice to be had here Benjy
    alehouse, re the races, I have done 8, Feb was not good! I still have 60 in mind. I am having a big party on Saturday, I think people won't like it, but park run maybe on my birthday!!! Then the run is out of the way!
    WP, I too am getting  some hip pain but not when I run.  I'm squatting like a mad woman.  Hope yours eases up.
    Dustin enjoy puke zone....
    LMH have a good day

what: 2.25 miles done this morning, 3 last night
    why: I streak
    last hard: this morning 
    last rest: 31/12/16
    have agreat day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What: heading home (rail and plane). Nothing else planned.
    Why: physically and emotionally jiggered
    Last hard: waking up after dreaming of mum & dad last night.
    Last rest: not much exercise on Thursday.
    Lyrics: no
  • (((OH))) hope you have a stress free journey.

Oh no Poppy - and just when you were back out running.

Benjy - don't speed up your long runs! If you want to finish the marathon strongly it's all about lots of easy mils and good pacing on the day. I'm a great believer in training the mental side too (hence my tag line). I think you can talk yourself in to and out of anything. I ran London last year with a fracture to my radial head and two very painful knees following a fall a couple of weeks before. At about 20 miles it became apparent that a PB was not going to happen (there's a surprise!) and a part of my head was telling me to just back off and cruise in, it didn't matter but another part decided that even if I couldn't PB I could still run another sub 3. I spent those last 6 miles repeating 'I can' - and I did! My marathon debut (I can't remember whether it was 2005 or 2006, the former I think) was 4.28 as I just wanted to do one and to get under 4.30 - I will be catching Dustin up age wise in a couple of weeks and my PB (set in September last year) is 2.55.38 and that is off a diet of easy miles.

Dustin - hope the QoP helped.

chicksta - for some reason the photographer had taken a nice sequence of shots of me so it's like watching myself run in slow motion as I move through them. Stomach was better today though still not great and I did resorts to drugs which I wouldn't usually. Hopefully whatever it is is sorting itself out now. I hope the weather doesn't turn too bad again, we are forecast a downturn in temperatures too - a 'high' of 3C on Sunday, I may regret getting that Ashby place.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Afternoon!

Wabo
    : what time do you want us all round on Saturday? And surely your parkrun is a definite?!

I would largely agree with LMHBenjy: I would not speed up the long runs...although I might advocate speeding up towards the end, so on a 20 miler it might be 15 to 19 that see an increase in speed, with the last mile easier. Has psychological benefits, at least! 

And yes, I am increasingly aware of the psychological side: see my tag line (and previous ones have included "Pain is temporary, pride is permanent" (which I borrowed from somewhere long before Mr Armstrong adopted it) and "Think positive thoughts, banish negative ideas and visualize your success," (borrowed from Andrew Strauss, former England cricket captain).
    And talking of which, think positive thoughts, OH...and have a safe and speedy journey!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.