Thursday 15th March 2018 - Well, I'm running down the road

Morning.

Benjy - I've got faster just by running more easy miles. No speed work for me other than the very occasional race and trying to pull it all together for a faster mile at the end of my runs.

Pod said that the funny foot strike was a consequence of a tight hip flexor so something else to work on, hopefully the physio can have a go at it this afternoon along with everything else. Heavy rain here this morning so on top of the flooding we already had I could be struggling for run routes if the knee feels up to a run once I've walked Grace. Haven't made it to the gym for my (self imposed) mandatory weekly visit to do my little programme so will try to fit that in before the physio too. Forecast for Sunday is getting worse:-(

What:           hopefully some easy miles
Why:            I'm like Benjy and don't do not doing well
Last hard:    getting older and falling apart
Last rest:     6/3

Yesterday's lyrics - Roll The Dice by Stereophonics.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning chaps, LMH: I do Taekwondo as well as running, flexibility is a constant battle, running tells my central nervous system repeatedly I only need to go this far and use these muscles, essentially become efficient with only the muscles it needs. As a result, hip flexibility is something I have to constantly work on daily, my Taekwondo instructor even singles me out with recommendation we we do our stretch routines. I'm like that on the right leg (Hip flexibility) and naturally strike the ground with my right forefoot, hence how I lost the three outer toenails on the last marathon. I have to be really aware of how I strike the ground with my right foot , I slip back in to how I shouldn’t be doing it when I lose myself in poetic thoughts. It was the cause of my dodgy knee last week, missed my stretch routine prior to class. Highy recommend Taekwondo stretches.

What: 8 or 10 (To attend a Thursday meeting)
    Why: Two birds with one stone, run/work
    Lyrics: Yes!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: yes!

What: fitness suite this evening, including working on glute strengthening, Achilles strengthening, exercise bike

Why: work gets in the way until then
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: undecided
    Why: uncertainties
    Last hard: weather forecast for weekend may mean no ferries this weekend (were intending heading down to Loch Katrine then on to Keswick)
    Last rest was yesterday - a deliberate decision not to rush back into training too soon while tired.
  • Morning

What: 6 miles
    Why:Because my hip allowed it
    Last hard: The rain and getting older!
    Lyrics: Yes
    I did know yesterday's after all;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Any stretches you'd particularly recommend Benjy? Nice multitasking.

I take it Els is supposed to be racing OH? I hope you can get away.

I need to make the effort to get to the gym today too Alehouse.

Glad you were able to run Poppy.

Having walked Grace I'm not confident that my knee is going to allow a run this morning but I'm also not sure I'm not just using it as an excuse as it's pretty foul out there so I shall get changed and head out and see what happens. Glad I have a physio appointment this afternoon.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    What - very easy and U11 coaching
    Why - easy Thursday
    last rest - 15/12
    last hard - Tuesday
    High mileage day yesterday in the end: took the opportunity of spring sunshine to put out 10 at lunchtime, first 6 easy with work pal, extra short loop afterwards, also easy. Recovery double run with a couple of the guys I coach in the evening. Very easy 9+ m/miling for another 6. 

"racing" Fleet half this Sunday - but probably aiming for just a bit quicker than MP.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning.  Sorry I'm hiding.  Hopefully will be back next week with news.

Managing to run a bit (in Germany this week), but tiredness is extreme so only just managing to hold it together.  Up for 21 hours on Monday and not sleeping well due to worrying.

See you again next week :)
  • Hope things improve soon emzap.

What's the forecast like for Fleet Dustin? 

My knee got better as my run went on so I managed an enjoyable MLR, the rain even stopped for most of it. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Sorry, been AWOL too. Dad was rushed off to hospital on Tuesday with a near heart attack. He got there in time and they operated 5 hours on him putting in 5 bypasses and a new heart valve! He's awake now and we were able to visit him very briefly in ICU yesterday.  Fingers crossed he makes a good recovery.

Forecast pretty dire for the weekend. I feel for everyone that booked a race and hoped for PB attempt...

LMH: Sorry to hear about the knee. The only way to alleviate tight hip flexors is stretch and then stretch some more. Hold the stretch at least for 30 secs. Muscles are lazy buggers and don't budge if it's just a perfunctory exercise. If you hold a stretch and gradually lean into it some more they'll learn and give way. I'd suggest the following two (although ask your physio to be on the safe side - they may not be the right ones for you with dodgy knees):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fyuOygDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq0g9wlAuXw

In Lizard pose you can skip the down dog bit at the beginning and you don't have to go as deep (I couldn't get my elbows down when I started - it's ok to stay on the hands). Just the general idea of the shape will do. My osteo told me to try and tear the mat apart by applying pressure to the hands and the foot of the straight leg - that'll deepen the stretch.

What: quick 5k before work
    Why: sanity
    Last hard: dad's health scare
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: of course (we stood on the corner when we did Route 66)

• Thanks chicksta - first one is a no as I can't kneel but the Lizard pose looks like a possibility - if I can work out how to do it, I think I'll need the computer on the mat next to me! I'm sure my physio will come up with something too. I hope your dad makes a good and speedy recovery.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics I think yes!!
    Lizard pose looks good I think I need that
    chicksta oh wow, so good your Dad got the correct care he needed, I know what a scare that is! 
    emzap hope all is ok with you
    dustin enjoy your easy
    wp, glad you got 6 miles done, tell me about the older bit!!
    benjy - not the same I know but I do tai chi for the stretching.  Did it today
    what: 4 miles with a mate later
    why: didn't fancy the rain this morning/wanted company
    last hard: yesterday morning
    last rest: 31/12/16

Have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can