Last week before 10k

kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
Got a 10k next Sunday. Bit nervous never done it before and only ran 10k once before last month in 1 hour 40 min. Could do with getting time down a bit so been practicing shorter faster runs. 

Comments

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    don't stop running entirely but take it easy this week

can you do any cross training? it won't make you any fitter but I find I crave exercise and am a bit of a grump without any so a bit of swimming or high resistance static bike or cross trainer to fill the void is what I do.

You've run 10k before so take confidence from that, but don't start too quickly, the race will carry you along and the danger i always find is to start too quickly and then be fading at the end

Good luck
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    I’ve been taking it but too easy this month to be honest so did a 7.5k yesterday and a 5k today in my fastest time yet still slow but not too bothered I’m not doing any running Friday or Saturday. Honestly on the day I won’t be bothered over my time I’ll just want it done I will be setting off slow and try to speed up towards end but honestly don’t know if I’ll be able to.
  • Kmo86: Many moons ago I couldn't run 10 metres without feeling sick and out of breath. Me doing a 10k was laughable, a half-marathon inconceivable and a Marathon, well they were just for Paula Radcliffe and Mo Farrah types. I stuck at it to to lose weight and get in shape, then after a while I got hooked, it happens. It is the best thing I ever did for many reasons and am going for my third marathon next month. Many people on here it will be the same story.

To echo Richard2 please stick at it, if you have to walk sections and it takes ages, don’t worry, you are getting better and improving massively already. The biggest achievement is the commitment and want to do this so far. I remember my first 10k on the journey there I just wanted to turn the car around and not do it, but the alternative option is to sit on the sofa and watch Coronation Street and wish you could run.

The majority of people at events like this are really decent and supportive people and will cheer you on. Well done, you will be doing a marathon in a few years and think “how did that happen?”

• kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Benji. I know I will struggle and I do feel a bit pushed to get best time I can from the man who organises it. He has helped me get into running and done few runs with me. He did say the 10k needs doing in under 90 min there is no notices saying that or anything and he knows I will be bit over 90 min so I think he’s just said it to make me push harder to get faster time. I know whatever time I get on Sunday he will be full of praise. 

After this next run will be part of a marathon. The group I attend who has organised this 10k is entering I think 4 people in to run as relay team in a marathon. So will be doing like quarter each or I think they said 1 person will do 5, 6, 7 and 8 miles. So that’s next and hopefully will get to have run with man who’s been helping me get into running.