Options

Returning to running after injury

I was training for the Manchester full when on my 16 miler my right ankle rolled on some uneven pavement and I fell hard on my left knee onto some jagged pavement causing a nasty 4 inch wide bone exposing laceration just below my knee. I was extremely lucky in the sense it was just about as severe as a wound can be without damaging structures or bones. I was stitched up and couldn't bend my knee for 2 weeks, but its now 6 weeks post injury, the skin is healed and I have mild boney tenderness.

I was told full recovery will be 3 months, but I would like to start running again in possible 2 weeks, so a 2 month resting period as I have a fitness test sometime in may I want to prepare for.

Questions are - 1. How much fitness would I have lost? I can feel I have lost a fair amount of muscle already

2. How easy should I take it when I do start out? Should I literally do a slow mile and see how it is?

I have full range of painless movement and really want to run again, even if it's short and slow.

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You won't have lost as much fitness as you think and you'll recover to the same level of fitness fairly quickly.   But start gently, walking with a little running and gradually increasing the distance of the overall session and the amount of running.