Options

Monday 2nd April 2018 - Grandma has got new dentures

Morning.

Lyrics - Grandma has got new dentures

We have had some snow but mostly we have rain, lots of rain, my routes were flooded yesterday so I don't know where I'll be able to go today - not far without wet feet I don't think! I may actually be grateful that I'm in the taper.

No eggs Dustin?

Go well today's racers and enjoy the day off those who have it.

What:         short and easy/gym
Why:          weather is foul/Mark wants to go
Last hard:  sleeping
Last rest:   6/3
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's were, "Only Fools Rush In," Elvis Presley.

Typical wet bank holiday here: very wet. Actually hasn't rained here for days, surprisingly for the north-west. No snow hereabouts either.

What: probably just some walking

Why: bad night's sleep with the back being the culprit.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that your back is bad Alehouse. It's foul here, cold, wet, breezy with standing water/flooding and overflowing storm drains. I'm going to make a virtue of the fact that I'm tapering and take to the treadie then have a swim steam/sauna to warm up.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

LMH: I think that the back is at the vicious circle stage; I need to do things to strengthen the muscles but that leads to tenderness and discomfort, particularly when l lie down. 

Was sent this the other day: 
    http://benhurley.co.uk/dont-mess-up-your-london-marathon-prep-with-a-few-weeks-to-go/

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Is it a different pain then ale?  I could feel a huge difference between the actual back pain caused by disc slippage vs. muscular pain after exercise
    Loved the article.  No new Kama Sutra poses then folks :)

Beautiful here with sun and blue skies but very cold. Lovely winter morning. Nothing to do with spring.

Enjoy gym LMH.

What: hopefully a run but it needs to warm up first
    Why: have time
    Last hard: this winter
    Last rest: 18/3
    lyrics: yes
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Chick: the discomfort, rather than pain, is pretty even across both sides of the back and seems muscular rather than anything else. And I, also, enjoyed the article: basically a reminder not to do anything different in the weeks leading up to a major race (this applies to other races also, I would suggest) and to cut back significantly in terms of volume; no fitness gains related to the race in question can be made, and if one is not careful training can be detrimental. And I would add not to change anything dietary, particularly gels.

Still icy, heavy, rain here. Fitness suite is closed today, being a bank holiday. Perhaps a good thing.
  • Options
    I had the same with my shoulder Alehouse, had to tolerate additional discomfort in order to strengthen it.

As we drove to the gym through flooded bit after flooded bit (lots of them that I have never seen flooded in all the years I've lived here) I was glad that we'd made the decision to go rather than 'tough it out' - no idea where I'm going to find to run tomorrow either though as the rain has barely relented all day.

Hope it warmed up for your run chicksta.
  • Options
    Sounds like we have the best of the weather here today. Beautiful clear sunny spring day if a few bits of ice still on the ground.
    What:. Part 2 of St Magnus Way (slow 10 miles) sandwiched by swim before (4°C) and cycle back afterwards (6 miles)
    Why: joining dots and making most of weather (due to change tomorrow)
    Last hard: any running
    Last rest: Thursday
    Lyrics no

Has the back been any better through the day AH, once you're up and mobilising?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's better training, OH...triathlon in mind?! And thanks for asking about the back: indeed, once a couple of hours or three have passed after getting up I would barely know that there was a back problem; it does become a little tired in the evening though. Is this typical of what to expect, do you think?

Rain stopped for a couple of hours around lunchtime but soon came back with a vengeance. 
  • Options
    AH triathlon no way! I prefer sporting sports  ;)
    ( pugilists aside, there are few sports where you can get away with punching the opposition)

re back - I would regard night pain that settles through day as a lot more reassuring. Take some analgesia at night if you're not already doing so.

Have you been lurking in dark ForEign parts?

Not the best section of St Magnus Way today - a large section on main road and off road section were wet  and not paths. Just last (5th) section to go now.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    evening all,

feeling fat after being fed at Sisters after racing :-)

Beaconsfield 5m trail race (very wet and very muddy) therefore happy with 37:43 and 79/548, Mrs RFJ had a good race too. So a good set of bank holiday racing :-)

Take care
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Evening!

Well done Mrs RFJ, and your good self of course, RFJ!

ForEign, OH? Iron levels? And yes, have watched the swimming in tri! Dangerous! I was of course joking re taking part: just that you did all three elements today! How far is the St. Magnus Way in total? And re analgesics, I don't take anything but may down a couple of paracetamol tonight.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Well done RFJ (& Mrs)
    What - last 20 of this campaign
    Why - schedule
    last rest - 15/12
    last hard - probably today. Not so much the run but the non stop rain. Averaged around 8:30s so pretty happy. 
    LmH - yep no eggs. My two girls had loads. I'm not a huge chocolate lover though (cake on the other hand...)
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Arbitrarily 55 miles to SMW, Alehouse
    https://www.stmagnusway.com/ 

No need for ferrous sulphate;
    Just thought I'd seen you about on the dark side where Everyone Fetches up  ;)

Well done Mr and Mrs RFJ  :D
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I've been on Fetch for years, OH...but have never used it! Was exploring in case this forum ever shuts. Think I changed my profile slightly and that's the total of my activity!
    Re St. Magnus, do they plan to make it into a circular route?