Monday 23rd April 2018 - I get out of bed at half past ten

Morning.

Lyrics - I get out of bed at half past ten

Sorry it wasn't your day Dustin. I always tell people that you never know what you're going to get with the marathon. You can have the best build up (as you did, amazing training) but it can still go wrong on the day - nothing you can do about the weather. Will you look for an autumn marathon to target?

What:          a swim or nothing
Why:           still can't run
Last hard:   not doing VLM yesterday
Last rest:    23/4
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Dustin!: Well done that is amazing in that heat, also a lot of walkers to weave through. I doff my (cricket) hat to you! Amazing!

Sky News reported 24.3c after mid-day, and I'm with Dustin on the fact it seemed hotter than that, the tarmac warming up, no cloud cover, no breeze. Glad I had my cricket hat, it stayed the whole journey and became basically a wet flannel on the head.

For me after a slowish start out of the charity pens and lots of weaving, by the time I got to half-way it was not going anywhere and the midday heat was intense so decided it was sensible to ease off and steady away. 40mins slower than my last two marathons with a finish of 4:21. Couldn't take the risk of it getting it to be too much then been stranded on the Mall delirious on my own thinking how do I get 250 miles north now. Soon as over finish quick change behind a lorry then straight for Kings Cross, had to walk it through all the quieter side street through Holburn (old stomping ground), tube stations were impossible. That was a desperate walk then.

Really feel sorry for people that were collapsing, those poor souls that have trained for this, there were was a lot of people injured. Also a lot of people sensibly walking from 18 to the finish.

Got home, grandma and grandad looking after my girls, my girls wanted my news first I wanted their news first, whilst I was running they were doing their swimming badges, 8 year-old got her 400m and 9 year-old got her 2000m, really please with them. It was my eldests turn to get the VLM medal, my girls get my event medals, then I never see them again.

Have a great day chaps, windy and mild up here!

What: A recovery 4/5 after work, (unless detached toenail is too painful it will be weights session instead)
    Why: Can't sit still
    Last hard: Walk from Mall to King's Cross after VLM
    Lyrics: Most certainly

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Well done Ben and Dustin, fantastic (and sensible) performances in tough conditions.

What: start new job then a short run after work
    Why: today's the day
    Last hard: Saturday
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely day all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Morning!

Lyrics: no. Yesterday's were Dream the Impossible Dream, by a whole range of artists.

Sorry yesterday didn't go to plan Benjy, but sensible head definitely won! When's the next one?!

Not many positive stories from yesterday in London, but a guy from my club ran 1:16/1:14 for a negative split and massive PB. We always say,"train heavy, race light" and I wonder how much the lots of layers helps with acclimatisation. 

And another great story is Parkrunfan's partner, Hannah, who was the first British runner in the mass start, running a 2:46 pb (by 4 minutes) with a negative split, and the first few 5ks were her slowest. Currently working in New Zealand, so that may have helped with acclimatisation.

What: probably just a short walk or two 

Why: awaiting deliveries and workmen.

Enjoy your day, especially Emz! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Morning
    Dustin I am sorry you did not get the time you deserved  with your fab training but not a day for PB's in that heat well done.

Benjy: Thank goodness sensible head won well done, glad cricket hat helped you.I hope the toe is not too painful. 
    Will both you and Dustin target an autumn marathon?
    Em: Good luck with new job.
    LMH: Enjoy the swim if you can:-)

What: 8.1 miles
    Why: Because my body she said lets do it:-)
    Last hard: Past two weeks
    lyrics; Yes
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done to Dustin and Benjy, brutal conditions to run in.  All my club mates were way out on their targets and some never adjusted pace until it was too late.  Some horror stories but all okay in the end.

Stirling this Sunday looks to be starting at 6 or 7 degrees which means we avoid the torture you had to run in.  Phew! 

Back to work today, routine will kick in again.  Easy, short run, later on.

Lyrics, nope. 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well done Benjy and also to your young ladies on their water skills.
    Thanks for the comments. LmH - yeah I always say the marathon is a fickle mistress, you can do everything right on the months leading up, but some things you can't control.
    As Ale says the good news stories are few and far between, but a couple at my club ran decent times - 2:55 for a first sub 3 for one guy, a 3:03 GFA for another and one of the local guys I coach ran a 4:07 12 minute pb.
    On the flip side, some of my club mates - all quicker than me in 3:0x territory - ran 3:40, 3:48 and 3:54. 
    I don't think I've ever seen so many receiving St Johns care or cramping up in the closing miles 

I'm down to run a marathon in the Brecons in two weeks - this is in lieu of the Dorset one cancelled in March. It will be slow and easy. Also our club event is in Mid June which again will be 'jogging' round.
    I'll check GFA cut off, as I'm loathe to target an Autumn marathon unless that fits with the timings. I was planning a summer of 5 and 10k training.

What - a few easy miles
    Why - recovery
    last rest - a week ago
    last hard - yesterday
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Dustin: GFA has to be achieved by 10th August!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hope the job goes well Emzap, if you are lucky they may make you watch the start-new-job health and safety VHS tape with poor actors getting in to all sorts of strife.

Ale/Welsh: Nothing planned, my mate is running York Mara again and I said I will train with him, but not entered. just heard there is a half in May at Ravenscar next month, might see if I can do that not too late, it coastal cliff tracks (I think).

Dustin/Donaldo thanks for comments, good results from your chaps. Dustin, one positive spin for people that didn't get desired results is that they ran the hottest London in its history, that is a memorable one.

LMH: That hat tip, saved my bacon, thanks again.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all

benjy thats so lovely you and your girls had a great day! You give your medals away, so nice!!! Well done
    dustin another well done, sensible head was the only one to wear yesterday!
    Donaldo, hope all your pals are ok
    WP nice one!! I only managed 3 my body said that's enough...
    alehouse, interesting theory about layers, makes sense 
    emzap enjoy the new job first day 
    Benjy I gave the guy a t work the hat tip, he said the same

He got round in 4.45 and I am sure 4 was achievable if the weather had been kinder
    lmh sorry about your injury

what: 3 miles d&d
    why: inspired yesterday
    last hard: that was 
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a great day and hope people are not too sore today
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hope it's going well emzap.

I do some over dressed runs to help with acclimatisation Alehouse as do a few of the guys on the sub 3 thread. I'm sure it does help.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed the day and that the cap helped Benjy. Well done to your girls. That half in Ravenscar sounds interesting - doubt I could persuade Mark to plan a weekend away for it unfortunately. I'm thinking of Hull for an autumn marathon. I usually walk back to the train station after VLM and I'm sure that it helps with my recovery. Try taping the errant nail, if it doesn't move it shouldn't hurt.

Could you not target the club marathon in June Dustin? You only really need to recover so just having a few weeks to 'train' before tapering should be about right.

Hope work doesn't interfere with play too much Donaldo, at least you're tapering:-)

Thanks Poppy, it was a bit busy at first but much better than doing nothing and my sit bones would not have thanked me for asking them to sit on a bike saddle again today!

I think I'm on the mend thanks Wabo. Really hoping to be running again by the end of the week as it looks as though I'm going to be running Yeovil marathon in June as P is going to try for his revised GFA there and Mark and I happen to be on our way home from a holiday in Devon the day before so it seems silly not to stop over for an extra night.......
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    LmH - our club race is a hilly, trail one, not really conducive to a PB/GFA. 
    Ale - Yeah someone mentioned August yesterday so I'll see if there is anything early/late July (I'm away in the middle)
    Benjy - there is that, however I had previously run the hottest London (1996)!
    I prefer to say I raced Mo into breaking the British record!!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Well done Ben and Dustin and in such tough conditions

LMH I have a book written by an American Runner Ron Daws he did the overdressing thing too

What: about a km
    Why: a promise to Alehouse
    Last Hard: a little
    Lyrics: Familiar

New Start In a new location best part is I can do loops and you  can make the loops bigger. I just  did one  small loop and  managed to run all the way
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Pammie! Hopefully in a few days soon I will be thinking of you as I start to run/walk. Keep it up! And post progress of course! And remember, progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ah, that's a shame Dustin.

Let's hope this is the beginning of your getting back to regular running Pammie. Nice to have new routes to run. Are you still close to your gym?

Is your back feeling any better Alehouse?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Doing a lot more with it, LMH: lots of cross training in the garden today, which now only partially looks like a building site. Not going to run until physio or consultant say so: unsure about putting the greater stresses of running through the body. Still feels uncomfortable after walking, particularly downhill. 

• Sounds like progress Alehouse which is good to hear. When is your next appointment with physio/consultant?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Will speak with physio tomorrow! Am awaiting an email from consultant's secretary about a few things; noticed he was away in Ireland at the weekend, running his "home" parkrun! 
  • Well done all in London yesterday. Most folk I know are significantly over their usual times so don't be hard on yourselves regarding a time.
    9.7 for me today, not much in the general run of things but longest for me for a month.
    Trying to up mileage (probably too late for Glen Lyon ultra but Cape Wrath strata on 14 May)
    Last rest yesterday
    Last hard today
    Lyrics no
    Offer on my  father's house being accepted so end of an era for family. I had never known any other house for my parents.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Running will always come before work, LMH, although I love my work too so it's never really an issue.

OH, end of an era, lots of emotion I am sure.  My folks just moved out of their home of 35 years, will be sad never to be the house again.

4 miles easy, just less than half an hour.  
  • 60 years for my father in that house and my parents will never have another earthly home. Definitely end of era.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, the end of an era, OH, but will still think of you when I pass the end of the road! Is everything cleared now? Still got tons of my parents stuff here which I really need to move on! And a better distance run from you today! Make sure you are not running too quickly! 
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Evening all,

Well done Dustin and Benjy for yesterday's marathon.  Sounds like it was a tough day out there.
    Congrats also to Benjy's daughters for the swimming badges.

Didn't bother cycling yesterday as the weather wasn't great, hopefully next weekend.

What: Cycle to and from work.
    Why: Means I can avoid the 192 bus.

Lyrics: Nope.

Have a good evening.
    Have a good day. image