London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• Jesus, have you read the comments on that page?  There are some sick people about.
  • dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    IllI show him the same sympathy he showed the real runner who's medal he stole, none! Looks like he didn't get much from the judge at Uxbridge court either, lol. 
  • He certainly appears to have done some distasteful stuff, but on the marathon thing he took a medal that he hadn't earned, he didn't steal it from the other runner.  The other guy was already DQ'd for losing his number, nothing anybody could do about that.

Let the courts deal with him - there's still no excuse for the racist xenophobic bile in the metro comments pages.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Convenient timing - just as he goes to court, he becomes the "victim"? Really - he's so famous for marathon cheating that he's instantly recognisable in the street?

On the plus side - if his leg injury is real, then he's not going to be cheating at any more races for a while.

• dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip, how can you suggest that this upright, model citizen would stoop so low to feign injury just for public sympathy,lo l
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Not so upright now......
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I notice that Jason Scotland-Williams was conspicuous by his absence this year (perhaps didn't want to embarrass the Kenyans with his second-half times?) - it seems like we've now got more competition for who's the biggest cheating twat at VLM.

• rodeoflip said:

it seems like we've now got more competition for who's the biggest cheating twat at VLM.

You'll struggle to beat forum favourite Tommy the Clown, who used to get away with it year on year.

Or Liliya Shobukhova, but that's going down a whole different road.

• JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    I was wondering when our old friend Jason would come up! He was great, instead of admitting you cut the course (for whatever reason) just suggest you ran the second half in an hour!

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Maybe JSW has gotten older and is now struggling to hit WR pace on the second half? Maybe he's retired on a high?
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    This is more like it! A proper Friday afternoon, plenty of good humoured banter, just like it used to be.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    It is just me who finds all this a little unsavory.

All part and parcel of the most over subscribed marathon in the entire world. 

Writing to local newspapers to out people, really? It's bad and he's been outed everywhere online - is that not enough.

I ran the Blackpool marathon on the same day as London and doubt one single person chested despite endless opportunities. 

London is a freak show, the whole world is watching and when big charity money is at stake and numbers are so incredibly hard to come by you (or at least I) can understand why it happens.

But choosing to spend your own time investigating and outing people - that's just weird. My tuppence anyway.
  • There's cheats everywhere - if you look at some of the marathoninvestigation website when he finds a cheat he finds that the perpetrator has usually got odd times for other races along the way.

Cheating at Blackpool to get a gfa place in London is a definite possibility.

Have you not heard the phrase cheats never prosper ? Some people really don't like cheating which seems fair enough to me.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Running is a sport. The worst thing you can be in sports is a cheat.

The people that cheat are taking places / prizes away from those that have worked incredibly hard to either qualify for a time. Especially now the GFA process has changed.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

LOL at the idea that there are no cheats in a marathon because it's not London. There are cheats in every race. For all sorts of reasons.

London is easier to analyse just because of how they publish the results. And people rightly get irritated with London cheats because the whole thing is so over subscribed.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    We've had cheats in our local 10k fun run - one woman drove to the half-way point and parked up then joined the race and finished as if nothing had happened. There are always dickheads who can convince themselves they should feel a sense of achievement for something they know they didn't do.
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Rob Sloan comes to mind.
    Calling London a 'freak show' is just plain nasty. I love watching it, and full respect to all those who complete it, except for the cheats that is.
  • Are there any detailed Blackpool Marathon results up ? The only ones I see are just the final time - so it's very possible that people have been cheating there - but without the splits - you can't tell. 
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Even if there was I wouldn't be overly bothered let alone spend my leisure time investigating it. Read somewhere over the weekend the last who lost his number at mile 24 was disqualified despite it being an accident and raising 48k for Bloodwise. The London Marathon is an amazing event but there is so much about it which is almost anti running, particularly marathoning.
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Judging by your previous and the above post, you must have spent quite a few minutes of your leisure time going through the info on here.
    It is about raising money for charity as well as running, well liked by many as others have said, due to being over subscribed each year. Plenty of other events to be had, as you know and ran in. Hopefully not too hot that day in Blackpool?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, CSM - you think it's bad here.  You should check out the guys over on LetsRun.  When they smell a cheater, they totally get stuck in and leave no stone unturned.

I agree with the others that cheating can happen at any race, and if the cheater gets called out on it, I've no problem with that at all.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    All's I'm saying is the size and draw of London creates it's own problems and with demand getting bigger it's only going to get worse. I'm not for a minute justifying cheating but from what I've seen on here the vast majority aren't at the sharp end of the race are they. I can also understand some of the pressure fundraisers are under too with in most cases a £2k gun to their head! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    But they know that before they apply for (with full details as to how they think they can raise it) the charity place. I still don't see that it justifies cheating and then the subsequent pretence of completion.
  • CSMLFC said:
    Even if there was I wouldn't be overly bothered let alone spend my leisure time investigating it. Read somewhere over the weekend the last who lost his number at mile 24 was disqualified despite it being an accident and raising 48k for Bloodwise. The London Marathon is an amazing event but there is so much about it which is almost anti running, particularly marathoning.
    Brilliant - you say the biggest Marathon in Europe is anti running and bizarrely anti marathoning ??

It's entirely the runners fault that he lost his number. How he did it I have no idea. They even provide you 4 pins for the number - and the number is rip proof. 

It's pretty obvious that you have to have your number to finish the marathon - it's impossible to work the race otherwise. Good luck finding any other big race that would have done anything different. 

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

It was obviously an accident that he lost his number - but unfortunately this means he can't finish the race, which is a shame - he must have been gutted. The villain of the peace is the guy who picks up the number, runs part way and then takes the plaudits for running a marathon. But this is unusual and he was just opportunistic - the real villains are the course cutters. The whole point of a marathon is that it's 26.2 miles and it's hard. Otherwise it wouldn't mean anything. To choose to opt out of the distance just because it's a bit hard goes against everything the marathon stands for. Anyone who doesn't complete the distance but then claims they did is a pretty poor excuse for a human being. I've put myself through all sorts of pain to finish marathons, and I take pride in knowing that I can achieve my goals despite adversity. I just don't understand why someone would cheat, they have to live with knowing what kind of person they are. No excuses, I'm happy to see these people called out for what they are - if they want to take the medal and pose for the pictures then they deserve to be shamed.

They should also be permanently disqualified to prevent them taking up a real runner's place in a race which is very much in demand.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Anyway, rant over. Why can't they just introduce some sort of system where you don't get into the finisher's funnel (and get your medal, photos, etc) until the system confirms that you've run over every timing mat? If you haven't, you could be diverted through a  different channel to either pick up your bag (if you've not run the full distance) or have your result queried (e.g.- race officials could confirm that your chip has indeed failed). I'm sure a simple barcode scan after the finish line could talk to the timing system and easily send the vast majority of honest runners through the normal finish process, while accommodating the DNFs and the timing "anomalies"?

VLM - if you read this, feel free to use my idea, all it will cost you is lifetime entry for me..........

• They could put a timing mat at the end of the mall.  Anyone crossing that without the full set of timings from the rest of the course gets taken out by snipers from the roof of Buckingham Palace.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I like it. Or diverted down an alternative "It's a Knockout"-style route to the finish line