London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• You mean running on a wet plastic sheet while marshalls dressed as Mr Blobby pelt you with wet sponges?

Or maybe put on a bus back to Greenwich and told to "do it properly, or not at all."

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    I have definitely patented the it's a knockout idea for the finishing stretch - it's been a key part of my pre marathon dreams for a few years now!!
  • They could do you a Gladiators Travelator ramp for the ones with missed times to try and run up. The speed of it should be what you're claiming is your average speed for the last half....
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    And PIE THEM!!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    doers this open the floodgates?? For me the biggest frauds are those clearly identified as leaping a barrier at 13 miles, finishing the race and deceiving all those that sponsored them. To me, this one is the least offensive of the various scenarios.
  • According to the Guardian article he got 13 weeks for claiming a VLM medal he wasn't entitled to (the fraud offence) but only 3 weeks for 3 unrelated theft offences.  FFS, the world has gone completely mad.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Madness, he doesn't deserve 13 weeks for a marathon medal.  Although, maybe a bed and food for 13 weeks is appreciated, who knows?!
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    I think it is madness, when you look at other offences that receive far lighter punishments than this. Suppose he will be happy though on full board & with a roof over his head for however long they keep him in. Possibly an incentive for him to carry on with his current behaviour when he's out.
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Agree 13 weeks for the marathon medal fraud / theft seems a bit OTT. (There seem to have been other issues involved with this individual, e.g. found in possession of property that wasn't his at Heathrow, so not sure if everything can be separated out).

But the result is that it could have a significant impact on anyone considering cheating for the next several years. Which may be what VMLM wanted to achieve.

One message seems clear: if you haven't legally entered the race and paid the entry fee, then crossing the finish line and claiming a medal /goody bag risks prosecution & jail for fraud/theft. (It is not inconceivable that they could prosecute for running any part of the course and using drinks stations, but this seems less likely). Anyone running with a photocopied or old number is in this category.

Course cutters have at least paid an entry fee, so the stated policy of just asking them to return their medal (if they crossed the finish line and claimed one) seems more appropriate.

Bib swappers are a bit more of a grey area, since someone will have paid an entry fee. But bibs are not transferable. So the bib donor is perhaps just in breach of contract - probably risking future entry applications being refused. But the bib recipient could be regarded as in the first category above, and risking prosecution.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Agree OTT. People cheat at London every year - are they going to prosecute all of them? The only thing that's different about this guy is that it was high-profile. This is no worse than the short-cutters, and they don't seem too fussed about that.

They should have sent him  back to the start line and made him run the full route on the day, that would have been punishment enough!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    mentions this thread. 
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    The chap who wrote it called me and did an interview, he didn't end up using anything we talked about (which I'm kinda glad of). As you said it's a good article but I do wonder how much the average person on the street really will care. I am impressed, however, that he managed to get hold of the infamous Jason Scotland-Williams 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    same here. I spoke with him but he didn't use it. 
  • I spoke with him (Liam Convery, as mentioned in the article) -fame at last! I mentioned JSW to him, we had a long conversation which he distilled down to a couple of sentences (and removed any verbal expletives!). He seemed really interested and obviously took time to do his research and I thought the article was well-written and well-balanced.

I was interested in JSW's response, and the fact that he didn't really deny cheating outright, he sounded more like a politician dodging the question by saying "I think the important issue here is....(insert favourite subject, don't answer the question)....." He is quoted as saying later that "“I’m an achiever, I’m a competitive person, I like to be the best at what I do,” he says. “That’s just how I am. If other people don’t have that drive or that thirst for success or that hunger, I can’t help that.”

Hmm...you're not an achiever, you didn't even finish a marathon.

Hardly competitive - taking over 2 hours to run a half and then cheating to skip the second half is hardly impressive.

The best at what you do? There are about 38000 people even just on that day that ran all the way and are therefore better than you. You're just about the worst at what you do. You're not even the best cheat - you got caught.

And if you had the drive or thirst for success then maybe you would have kept running and actually achieved that success. As it is, you're just a dickhead who has been shown to be a pathetic loser - every marathon is full of individual stories of personal achievement, and you are worse than just an onlooker.

Then - "At the same time, that doesn’t take away from my previous accomplishments, doesn’t take away from what I’ve achieved in terms of fundraising, and certainly doesn’t take away from who I am as a person". Errr, yes it does, Massively. Presumably your previous "achievements" were also based on deliberate cheating, and you never actually achieved what you said you did. You took money from people under false pretences, whether intended for charity or not. And who you are as a person - that can only be judged based on what you've done and on how you're responded. That makes you a four-star bell-end.

Sheesh - I had just about got over my rage with VLM cheats since April, and now I'm all annoyed all over again!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, good article!  I hadn't really appreciated that the MarathonInvestigation guy had taken down older posts...shame really, but I suppose as he's got so big his reasons for investigating cheats may have changed a bit over time.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Top rant, Rodeoflip. :smiley:
  • Cheers Nessie. Glad to get it out of the system!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Reply on the ABC Twitter feed made me laugh

• At least they took action and did something about it there.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yes, good to see that. The video footage is crazy. I am popping out there to run the Xiamen marathon on 6th Jan, they do take this seriously, they are IAAF and AIMS registered and would only consider previous AIMS finishes for starting pen placement.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Good to see cheaters being caught, but is it legal use of traffic camera footage?  ;)
  • Reminds me of the Paris marathon where there was a bunch of people turned right after entering the first big park, and skipped out that pesky part of the route through the park. Must have been dozens of them scurrying through the bushes.
  • In the news today was that in China some races have started taking a picture of everyone coming to collect their number, then using cameras out on the course with facial recognition software to DQ anyone whose face doesn't match the number.  They're certainly taking this seriously!
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    In the news today was that in China some races have started taking a picture of everyone coming to collect their number, then using cameras out on the course with facial recognition software to DQ anyone whose face doesn't match the number.  They're certainly taking this seriously!
    It must be good software they are using in China. 
  • What a good idea, this year I collected my friends paperwork for him, I’m 5 foot 4 ,101/2 stone clean shaven face and head, he’s 6 foot 2, 14+stone,full head of hair and beard, he’d have been dragged off the course at the start,lol 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes London would need to change their system as they currently allow others to collect numbers.