Options

VLM 2019

Comments

• Options
    Cheers for the update Stu.

Yes Prince, unable to defer, and probably only chance i'll get to run London, so only one question remains - I know i can get round, but how much will it hurt? lol

How's your training going, one long run left?
  • Options
    @portlanders you have been quietly confident about running the distance and have some good long runs already done . You never know all this rest might leave your surprising yourself on the day. Also it may be more enjoyable with no time pressure.

Yes 1 20 left. Aiming for a 50 mile week. Got 10 in last niggt
  • Options
    Let's hope so Prince, an enjoyable race would be great regardless of time, and being my first marathon it sets an easy target to get a pb on my 2nd one! lol

Your training seems to have been going really well, so pleased for you, and i hope it results in a successful race for you. 
  • Options
    Hello all first timers who have joined this thread late.

I am one of the 65 Runners World Pacers at the VLM 2019 - this number has been expanded from 43 in previous years to help everyone but particularly those who may take longer than 5 hours - this is because about 30% (14,000) of the finishers in previous years took longer than 5 hours. 

While I acknowledge that there are very many better runners than myself on this thread already and they give excellent advice in their own right as a result of their own experience, (I too have learnt new things from them too) please feel free to still ask the most basic question about the VLM without fear of it not being treated seriously by me.

On the VLM website for example I discovered the link below which answers or works out the different pacing speeds on your different runs.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a761676/rws-training-pace-calculator/

I never knew about this until today - partly because I have always trained the old fashioned way - really simple, loads of roadwork over different terrain and challenging repetitive hills, Fartlek, tempo etc, but I never really knew their technical names until years later.

I personally do not use any fancy gadgets, just a simple £5.99 watch which has large digits I do not have to struggle to see while running.

Although I keep a record of all my runs noting the distance and time taken, I am not really a spreadsheet geek because I figured out long ago that no matter how detailed your record keeping and analysis on paper or via electronic wearables, the race is not on paper but the road. I have therefore relied on regular sensible training in all weathers to condition myself to be race ready at short notice.

On Sunday I ran my fifth marathon or longer distance race this year and unfortunately will have to skip my sixth on Sunday due to logistical problems in not being able to get to Manchester from London in time.

I total, I have just got over the 700 mile mark for the year and am likely to be over the 900 mile mark before the VLM - all because like other pacer colleagues, I want to make sure that I am 100% ready to deliver the expected finish time (within seconds) with even pace throughout for others.

All my pacing colleagues get a buzz out of helping others achieve their dream times - we have all been there, seen it, done it and got the tee-shirts but the sight of joy in others getting over the finish line having achieved their personal goal is worth more to us than our own knowing that in some little way we have helped them do it.

All we ask for is a smile or a thank you after you cross the finish line - oh and any little message to the fantastic Runner's World staff who arrange for us to be there for you.

Finally, I intend to run the second and last of the 20 mile course familirastion runs for this year's VLM on Sunday.  It will start from the Cutty Sark DLR station at 9:00 am and follow the VLM course till the finih line at a pace of about 5 miles an hour.  Please let me know if you are interested by Friday evening - there is no cost to you but if you treat me to a Big Mac Meal at the end I will be very happy.

• Options
    davewooddavewood ✭✭✭
    Okay J, sorted,make sure Rodger phones and registers! I’m booked on night sleeper on 25th so will be at Croydon about 10.00, hopefully see you both there later in the day. Have a good one tuss.lol 😂
  • Options
    Anyone get an email?
  • Options
    Nothing yet Prince, been checking to see if the app is live, and the website page updated - but nothing. 
  • Options
    Haha all as bad as each other I see
  • Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one checking my e-mail every five minutes!
  • Options
    It all comes to those that wait lol
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, constant checking here too! Surely it can't be too much longer!

portlanders, sorry to hear the injury is being so troublesome. I agree though that getting round is the main thing - which will definitely be fine. My physio put it like this: 'You're going to be in all kinds of pain at the end of a marathon anyway, whether or not you are carrying an injury' - which I guess is a fair point!! From all I hear, London is such an experience that it's probably quite good not to put too much pressure on yourself anyway and take time to enjoy the day. That is generally going to be my plan - my feeling is that London is quite unique and, for me too, likely to be a one-off. There are plenty of marathons to do in the future, including less crowded ones where it might be easier (especially when you're not injured!) to push for a good time.

Prince, sounds as if your training is going really well - have you got a target time in mind yourself? I am also aiming for one last 20 this weekend. I feel as if the tapering phase is approaching all too quickly, probably because I got my London place a bit last minute so started the proper training phase quite late!

Harmander, I do wish I lived closer to London so that I could come to one of your familiarisation runs. I hope to see you at the expo instead, although I am yet to work out timings for going there!

• Options
    I hope I'm not responsible for everyone staring at their inboxes willing this message to arrive :D

I was told "most likely" Thursday so maybe something has happened?
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Stu, it's actually thanks to your info that I haven't spent Monday onwards constantly looking at my inbox, seeing as they had said 'early April' on the website and of course I took that to mean the 1st :D
  • Options
    No Stu, as Gipfel says, you've done us a favour by giving us some peace from our inbox since Monday lol 

I'm itching to know what colour start i'll be in. I won my entry through a NB competition and been told competition winners go from the green start, but ensure how true this is. 

Maybe it will be tomorrow now we'll get the email.
  • Options
    Ah that's OK then! Looks like it won't be today after all. I noticed someone's comment on the VLM Facebook page saying the final instructions would be issued in the weekly newsletter tomorrow afternoon.

What do folk make of this? Laudable intentions but not sure I like the sound of seaweed capsules three miles from the end!

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/london-marathon-events-aims-to-become-world-leader-in-sustainable-mass-participation-events/
  • Options
    Yeah Stu, i sent an email to the helpdesk and they replied saying final instructions will be emailed out tomorrow. 

No, don't like the capsule thing. 

I also got this email confirming i'm in the green start and offering me the chance to trial a cape instead of a kitbag... not sure what to make of it myself, probably best to ignore, especially as my first marathon. 

http://elinkeu.clickdimensions.com/m/1/70043150/p1-b19094-bc3546151b2e4ac586955d3451bb78f1/3/432/ddaa7f88-ddd6-4d39-a7ee-0f33e7f7aff3?_cldee=dHJldm9yLmh1bnQyNDEwQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ==&recipientid=lead-c06090a7f056e911a99700224800c3e8-41c5eb5f48504aa3b317b7266f6b549b&esid=97952975-fa55-e911-a982-00224800c719

Also see as a Green start runner, my race number will be printed on demand at the show - hope they still have enough ink left by Saturday! 
  • Options
    They print off all numbers at the Berlin marathon
  • Options
    It shows how stupid I am that I thought that meant they printed the number directly on to your running top :D

Got an e-mail confirming pre-registration will be tomorrow and there will be a chance for folk to opt into a bottle belt trial.
  • Options
    Stu, quite a few in my charity group have the same email - probably be a lot of uptake for those.

Good idea to print the bibs on collection, if helps the environment and reduces waste. Though still prefer drinks in a bottle than a cup. 

Exciting day tomorrow, though apart from knowing our race numbers, is there anything else we should look out for?
  • Options
    Yes some who got offered a cape instead of a kit bag will have to figure out how they are going to get their fresh clothes at the end of the race as it seems you cannot have both - it could work if you have someone waiting for you but if the eventual aim is to not have ANY kit bags it will be fun to have 50,000 people waiting near Horseguard's Parade - a security nightmare if you ask me. Can only work if the start/finish was at the same place
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I know everyone is trying to reduce plastic use but really?  The paper cups they tried last year were dreadful IMHO, particularly on a hot day - you end up spilling approx half of it.  If all of the plastic bottles are gathered up at the various drinks stations then surely they are recycled?  When I grab a lucozade bottle I run with with it for 2-3m and drink the lot - it is fuel after all.  Strikes me as a bit of well meant tokenism mixed in with good intentions.  I agree with Portlanders - bottles are more practical for runners to drink out of without spillage.  I just wish they wouldn't dump them in the middle of the road at every drinks station.  :|  I've run London around 16-17 times and my kitbags have been re-used loads of times, a very handy size occasionally.
    Harmander.. at the Barca marathon the Expo/start/finish are all in the same place.  I always book a hotel close by so I have never needed a kitbag.  Finish the race, back to hotel for a shower, out again for a celebratory beer :)
  • Options
    davewooddavewood ✭✭✭
    Let’s hope it’s not as hot as last year as I notice that they are also reducing the number of water stations by7 and supplying 215,000 less bottles, mind you I’m looking forward to the energy gel wrapped up in seaweed, just what you need after running 20 odd miles,lol. Wardi, I think you’ve pre-empted the next big shake up, a route change to start/finish at same location 😁
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some of these changes seem a little late in the day given we are advised to try nothing new on race day.

ive had an e mail about trialling the water belt. By the time i receive it all my big training runs will be done.

The lucazade capsule at mile 23 is a big no. Im sure they are fine but I'm taking no risks at that stage.

As for this garment, how about wallet, phone, towel, recovery drink, fresh clothes etc. 
  • Options
    Just noticed the app is now available to download, just search London Marathon (it's stated to search virgin london marathon, but nothing came up until i took the 'virgin' out)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    can you get from that what start you are on? 
  • Options
    No, it's just general info really - Tracking tool is there, but says not activated till race week. 

You'll get an email today which will have what start you are in. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ok thanks. Im not normally too bothered but the number i have, in the last 2 years would have been a fast good for age enclosure number which I'd be quite pleased to be in!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    DT19.. on your GFA letter there is a ref.No - I'm pretty sure this is your race number as it tallies with me being on green as per last year.  My mate is on fast GFA with a 3.04 qualifier.  Fast GFA numbers were 30921 to 33380 last year.
  • Options
    davewooddavewood ✭✭✭
    And no goody bags at the expo, lol 😂, one more reason not to hang around wasting time and effort