VLM 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'd say red, but they are not vast distances apart, I always get the blue train in and stroll up to red. What compo did you win Porty?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Portlanders.. have you got any idea what your race number is?  This detail came on my entry confirmation.  You can usually work out your start from that, e.g no's 33381 to 59480 were on red last year.  Good prize to win!
  • Chances are you will be Blue start as sponcers/ clubs/freebies etc are there, Red is for the charities, but as 1owez says the two starts are only 5minutes apart, well done and best of luck 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Id wager blue start but as wardi says, if you have confirmation of your place then looking at lasts years allication will provide a reasonable idea. 

Based on last year, this years number has me in fgfa cat. That's unlikely however I'd quite like to be at the gfa red start for a change. Its definitely the fastest start. 
  • Cheers Guys, After i failed at the ballot i subscribed to all the VLM sponsors websites i could find, and emails of competitions started to appear in my inbox - about 4 i entered, but won the New Balance comp - which was pretty cool as do wear NB shoes. Won a place and new pair of shoes - not the pair i usually wear, so sold them and put the money towards the pair i do wear. 

All i have been given is a username for the guaranteed entry console  (a mixture of letters and numbers) - that's only used once to register your details, you then get email confirmation saying final instructions will be received in March. 

I am supporting the charity Mind, seeing as i got my place for free thought it a good idea to raise a bit of dosh for a charity - plus it being my first time they give some good support, especially in their private facebook groups so i know more of what to expect. In there they didn't know where i'm likely to be placed, but certainly not in the charity start - so odds on looks like Blue then.

Thanks chaps, most helpful. 
  • Portlanders, well done on securing a place at VLM 2019.
    I have started from all three colours - Red, Blue and Green (Celeb because of the people I was with - Fauja and Louise). I have only paced from the Blue start but would like to be given the opportunity to do so from Green one day.
    I take the view that the distance is the same but each start has its own great feeling.
    The Green is the fastest start but after about a mile it merges from the left of the Blue start and can be a bit tricky like joining a motorway at speed.
    The Blue is the flatter of the three starts but has more speed humps between miles one and two. The Red has the most turns in the first three miles.
    They are all the same thereafter.
    What time are you hoping for or are you simply going to enjoy the experience?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well done portlanders, love that you are charitying it up even though you have a "free" place now, no pressure to smash a specific total but still doing a load of good :) London is such an amazing run, I do some charity for most marathons I run, London is quite a tall ask if you are on an actual charity ticket, but the counter point to that is its amazing to be able to run London if you are up to collecting the target. I'll be back every year if my legs keep going.
  • Harm thanks for the info, Blue looks good to me. If training goes well like it has been doing, optimistically would like a 4 hour finish, though equally pleased with under 4 1/2. Haven't ventured past 16 miles yet, but done a few runs at that distance at the same easy pace and my HR is dropping so that's a good sign. I have my first HM in March. 

Cheers Lowrez, I wouldn't be able to meet the min targets for a charity place, so was lucky with the comp win - it's kinda once in a lifetime opportunity for me. 
  • Portlander, You will definitely be ahead of me as I have paced at 5 hour (4:58 actually)) for the last three years.  But I am at the Blue start again I was told.
    Which HM are you doing in March?
    If you are anywhere near London then feel free to join me on Sunday 10 February for a very easy pace (for you) 14 miles of the VLM course when I will next be taking first timers to help them feel comfortable on the day.
    This applies to anyone on this forum - details given earlier.  Basically from Tower Bridge at 10:30 am to the finish line.
  • Cheers Harm, but i'm not local - I'm travelling down for the Reading Half in March. 
  • Portlanders - nice course Reading - you will enjoy it.
    In March I have 
    Tokyo marathon on 3 March
    The Big Half on 10th (pacing)
    Fauja Singh Birthday Challenge (Marathon) on 31 March.

• Hi. Got in on a ballot place .Booked an air b and b in Cutty Sark...wondering how I get to the start line from there. It's 1 minute walk from DLR and 5 from Greenwich train station...but I'm not sure what colour start I'll Bd in.
    Any advice appreciated
    Hope all training is going well 
  • Prince 1979,

Ballot entries are Blue start.

When you get out of the Cutty Sark DLR station, walk up through Greenwich Park till you reach the ornamental gates (you may be directed around them on your right if they are still locked) then make your way toward s the blue blimp in the sky which will be about 400m away.

All the best
  • Thanks so much for that .It looks I  booked a good location so.  
    Now for my next question are the wave starts within the blue start and how do I know what wave I'm in.

How is everyone's training going?
  • On your running number you will find a small number that will tell you what pen/wave you will be.

This will be based on the lie (wishful thinking) about predicted finishing time you told when entering.

My training is on schedule - I have completed two marathons so far this year and have four more to do before the VLM 2019.  Am on 265.30 miles of running to date.
  • Haha I think I said sub 4....I'm assuming this year will be perfect conditions.

Fantastic milage. Hoping to hit 16 mile long run soon.

• FYI Just been told by my charity that London aren't doing vest printing at the expo (or where you send it in) at all this year.
  • Prince, I've hit 16 miles a couple of times last month - a bit ahead of myself, so having a couple of recovery weeks to settle some niggles. But training going very well for my first marathon, have my first hm in 5 weeks time too!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

I've actually spun up to 26 already this year on 6th Jan in China clocking 4:48 which I was dead pleased at as I needed a sub 4:50 for summat else, and, a fortnight later I made the local newspaper being a bit daft as Batman in a local half clocking 2:09. Its been difficult to capitalize on that for the last couple of weeks and I haven't got out at all, hoping to address that this weekend and the next few weeks.

I'm running Boston 3 weeks prior to London, although I should admit that's in Lincolnshire, put it in as a safety net in case I didn't crack 4:50 in Xiamen. Thankfully though I can treat both that and London as training runs now, party, party, so definitely looking to dress up as something entertaining in London.

Sounds like everyone is in really good shape already! Great going folks :)  

• @portlanders yes we don't want to burn out or peak to soon. So step back weeks are important.

@lowrez will batman be coming on the 28th lol
  • Prince1979, Absolutely as you guys are going for a good time.

Oldies like me realise we are not going to get PB's anymore so only going to have a good time - explains why my schedule for this year is 22 full and four half marathons. lol
  • First time poster on here, just wondering how you know which start you're likely to be allocated? I got a space for London through my club rather than the ballot. Never done a marathon before but excited about it!

Training isn't going well though. Just had the flu and before that had a pain in the top of my foot. Had hoped my enforced layoff would help that clear up but it seems to have returned and I'm now worried about both my training and the race itself :(
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Stu, welcome aboard, the starts are all within easy reach of each other, just a bit of a stroll, I think from your runner number you can tell which one, but also from how you got your place as well, I'm not up on that but I bet someone on here will have a good idea if it is a club place.

So do you run a bit already? You are in a club so do you go there plenty of nights per week? Depending how big they are they might have access to someone who could take a look at your foot. If it were a non-club runner asking I'd be looking at your shoes. How long have you had them, and, have you significantly upped the mileage you do in them recently, it could be as simple as getting a good new pair appropriate for marathon running.

There are still a good few weeks left before the big day so you have time to get some training in and have a comfortable grand day out :)   

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Prince, last year I was Mary Quant, was so pleased when I got a shout out of that going through Docklands :)

This year I fancy appearing as Lt Gay Ellis from Gerry Anderson's UFO, but that is a big ask, can I get that thin and can I find an outfit like this...

I hope that wasn't too much information! :) My appearances are meant to be "stupid bloke makes a bad attempt at..." no body hair is lost (apart from chafing), no makeup is applied, but I do stretch to a wig and trying to get the costume to look the part. These antics help with my charity collection, the girls at work fall about laughing at my antics and "bribe" me to "go further" each time with their donations (at least that is one of my excuses - I suppose I am not complaining at having to do this either!)

• > @1owrez said:
    > Hi Stu, welcome aboard, the starts are all within easy reach of each other, just a bit of a stroll, I think from your runner number you can tell which one, but also from how you got your place as well, I'm not up on that but I bet someone on here will have a good idea if it is a club place.
    >
    > So do you run a bit already? You are in a club so do you go there plenty of nights per week? Depending how big they are they might have access to someone who could take a look at your foot. If it were a non-club runner asking I'd be looking at your shoes. How long have you had them, and, have you significantly upped the mileage you do in them recently, it could be as simple as getting a good new pair appropriate for marathon running.
    >
    > There are still a good few weeks left before the big day so you have time to get some training in and have a comfortable grand day out :)   

Thanks 1owrez. Where do I find my runner number? There's nothing obvious in the e-mail I've had.

I've been running for a few years and have done a few half marathons but no marathons yet. Before my injury woes I was up to about 50 miles a week with a long run of 18/19 miles so was in good shape before these problems happened.

Have been trying to keep things ticking over on the cross trainer. The irony is I got new shoes for Christmas and they were fine - the problems started after I went back to my old shoes one club night as it was pouring down!

I've been to a sports physio in the past for problems with my bum so may end up going there to see if they can take a look at my foot.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Stu, you are obviously well on the road to completing a marathon, great training, even with a bit of a break, you will be able to pick up and be in great shape on the day. Numbers come out in a few weeks I think. Best if you have someone take a look at that foot, I can't figure anything more specific from what you have said :) 

• @1owrez Thanks - think the last few weeks have knocked me mentally as well as physically so you're reassurance is what I was after :)
  • had a look at my confirmation e-mail and noticed the reference number 12517_001 - is the first part of that my race number?
  • I don't know, my first time and won my place through a comp. But i'm told our race numbers will be on our registrations forms which are sent out last week of March with the final instructions. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Club places are usually on the blue start.  I certainly wouldn't fret about it, I've been off all three starts and they are all ok.