Monday 7th May 2018 - Well, I'm so tired of crying

Morning.

Lyrics - Well, I'm so tired of crying

Just because you haven't previously doesn't mean that you can't Donaldo - you're likely to be back running sooner if you know what you're dealing with and the best way to manage it. With two lots of club mates you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting a recommendation for a physio.

Another hot day forecast here - hooray - not a breath of wind this morning. Knee feels ok this morning so I may actually be off the bench.

What:           easy miles
Why:            I want to be out running 
Last hard:    getting back to this point hasn't been easy
Last rest:     4/5

Yesterday's lyrics - Hot In The City - Billy Idol.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Emz: That extra mile will make you stronger! I’ve had a couple of instances of ‘getting lost’ miles, last year in Dalby forest near me, my over confident I know this place like the back of the hand (I must have been wearing gloves) heading back to the visitor centre only to find I’d done 2 miles in the complete opposite direction and no visitor centre, after meeting an Australian with his visitors map he turned me back. So an extra 4 miles of shame added to my run.

OH: That’s impressive completing an ultra, well done, I doff my hat to you.

RFJ: That’s a good rack of time and miles yesterday. Have a good 10k today if you are still intending.

Donaldo: That hamstring, hope it is a temporary issue.

LMH: Steady away miles sounds like an enjoying and promising venture today.

Can’t believe was stumped by yesterdays lyrics, Hot in the City! I feel like I need to apologise, “disgraceful Benjamin you can do better than that” I can hear from the ghost of my secondary school physics teacher echoing around the room.

Got a gym session in yesterday, but didn’t get to the beach yesterday, myself and daughters had a last minute invite to a BBQ. I really need a run today, feeling like I’ve been living a lifestyle like Henry VIII this bank holiday weekend.

What: A run early on, looking at a steady 6, then today it is either a beach day or bike ride with daughters and friends, the big decision is yet to be made.

Why: The weather is perfect.

Lyrics: Well I think I do.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Morning LMH  :)

I know I should see someone but I find it difficult to change - will maybe arange something if it doesn’t sort itself out this week.  Will probably have another rest day today and then see how it feels at the club on Tuesday before making a decision on whether to race at the weekend or not. 
    I hope you manage to get out there in the heat. I am melting already and I am just sitting having breakfast.  

No on the lyrics again! 
  • I like it hot Donaldo  :) I guess it depends on how much you want to race the half - I'd be trying to find out what's wrong with it so that I could either fix or manage it in time or know that if I race I'm going to do more damage etc but then I'm probably a bit more of a control freak than you.

I was surprised you said you didn't know the lyrics yesterday Benjy. Another BBQ? Sounds as though you'll need to be running some of it off and then refuelling with ice cream  :)
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
     BenjyBenjy said:

Can’t believe was stumped by yesterdays lyrics, Hot in the City! I feel like I need to apologise, “disgraceful Benjamin you can do better than that” I can hear from the ghost of my secondary school physics teacher echoing around the room.

Exactly what I was thinking (apart from the bit about the physics teacher :D )

I managed to drag my tired body out of bed early enough for a run in the cool hours of the morning. Beautiful. 11 degrees and no wind. Birds singing gloriously. Just lovely.

Don: Hope you get to the bottom of it but perhaps a little tweak from the physio will speed things up a bit.

LMH: Hope you're off the bench for good.

What: 6.5 miles
    Why: wanted to
    Last hard: 18/4/18
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: yes

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Don: I'd be saying what LMH said. The top guys at Central must know someone decent to see.

What: 29 mins 25 secs, largely cinder paths

Why: at one time I would have been sure to make it up to 30 minutes. Not a good run, but had to remind myself near the end that years ago we always used to say when not fit, two out of three runs are poor ones; when fit two out of three are good. Stopped to stretch the Achilles a couple of times and knew it wasn't going well when the first bench I stretched against collapsed. Perhaps it was my weight. Went out unusually early for me and not long after breakfast (had decided to run later but changed my mind because of the heat): breakfast didn't help. Anyway, I ran. And that has been quite unusual for ten months. Cautiously onwards and hopefully upwards.

Wonder how SC got on? And go well RFJ, although I imagine the legs will be tired after yesterday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Ale: That's good news, it's not a case of not a good run, any run at the moment is a good run. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Just had a lovely 6.5 miler, went down to see what the sea is doing, flat as a pancake, on the way back on old railway track did a 7:10 pace for three-quarters of a mile, wasn't an intention, just felt right as got on a straight flat track, reassuring as my pace seemed to have dwindled the last 6 months. Couldn't keep it up though for the full mile, but nonetheless...

Off to beach now to meet friends, apparently I will be going on a paddle board today, hmm... not sure about that.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Benjy: one way to restore speed I find is to do almost what you did today and throw in a few harder, faster sections of varying length. I always use very unstructured fartleks as a precursor to speed work. Again, it will be a long time before I will be thinking of going down those lines. I am fit enough to start running, but not fit enough to start training! Enjoy the beach. Not sure about the sea, though. 

Gardening, then off to a barbeque, also.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I'm with Benjy Alehouse - surely at the minute any run is a good run?

I tried SUP whilst on holiday in Florida Benjy, absolutely loved it, you should have good core strength with your gym and TKD which will help. A bit to cold for me to be doing it in our seas though, just in case I fell in!

Sounds as though we have the same weather chicksta - I'm loving it, need to make the most as it's downhill again after tomorrow. I'm still a bit cautious, mostly because the knee didn't let me know it was unhappy until the morning after last time, but am hopeful that I'm off the bench - just as well if Alehouse is going round breaking them  :)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, LMH...at present any run is indeed a good run! "I ran", to quote myself!

Just back in from the garden: getting too warm for working in it. Am re-configuring and re-laying two lawns after building work and having the drive done. Am at the stage where I wish I hadn't started. Have lessons to prepare so that will have to take priority for the next couple of hours anyway.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: 17km to the bluebell woods
    Why: I wanted to see the bluebells
    Last hard: getting lost!  Was expecting it to be 13km, but then we took a wrong turn in the woods.  Got back on track then were chased by a goat and had to detour again!
    Lyrics: nope

Well done on getting out Ale
    Ben yes the extra mile will make me stronger!  Today was an extra 3 miles!

Have a lovely day all
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

Ale - indeed legs were tired, and linked with the head was 5 mins down on last year but about the same placing (potentially inside top 20)

Harewood forest 10k, hot hard and hilly, (its about 10.5k overall) 51:29 on the watch, a good slog after the weekends running efforts... did ask for a stewards enquiry after the tree root at 4k deliberately tripped me up :-) just where the path narrowed and went in to a sort gulley shrouded in trees and  change in light... that's my excuse.... knee and shoulder blooded, but all ok.... Mr Bump strikes again... :-)

Take care all
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all
    Been awol much of the weekend but just had a read back through and it looks like everyone's been out lapping up the sunshine.
    Brief summary:
    Saturday - Brecon Trail Marathon. 8,000ft of climbing, roasting temperatures and, as usual, stunning views from the Fans. Bit of quad cramping at 20, but picked up last 5 or so. Time 5h23, 15th place. 
    Sunday - 7 miles recovery trail
    Today - not been out yet, but will do an easy 7-10 later.

Have I really got work tomorrow?
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

Hope all is well with everybody.

AH: Nice going on getting the run in, 'Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead,' etc. :)

What: Run by the Goyt.
    Why: Felt like it.

Have a good day, and enjoy the sun while it's out. 
    Have a good day. image
  • Well done Dustin.

Hope you haven't done too much damage RFJ.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    LMH, just cuts and bruises, but a friend of mine broke her arm this morning in a nasty fall. 

Dustin, tough running, well done
  • Not nice RFJ - I hope it isn't a complicated break.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    LMH she has broken the top of the radial head, so not comfortable, and doubtful they will put in plaster for her (sling at present), makes me feel blessed the amount I fall and don't really injure myself badly...