Options

Labral Tear diagnosis following MRI scan.

Hi all.

I drove on a 7 hour journey over Christmas (huge delays due to traffic incidents galore) and after I ended at my destination I found I couldn't walk: my right leg was in agony (like it had been twisted from top to bottom - I'd already created a thread on this).  I was limping for the rest of the evening, but it eased up over the next day or so and I was able to run again (I'm usually running 20-30k including park runs a week).
In February I ran a half marathon (just an evening 6k run that I just extended!) and over the next few days, my right leg again was not in the greatest shape.  I was struggling to pinpoint exactly where the pain was emanating from (possibly a series of injuries/aches including hamstring).  I mentioned this to my doctor on a visit (there for something else - I had a breakdown over Christmas resulting in me having to go on Sertraline.  Running, of course, helped enormously through those hard few months. I'm now in a much better mental state at the moment and aside from the odd down day, I'm fitter, healthier, stronger and more confident than I've been in my entire life.
The doctor (kindly) referred me to a physiotherapist and the appointment came up pretty quickly.  Through manipulation she diasnosed possible piriformis syndrome and referred me for a MRI scan.
That was a couple of weeks back and she rang back to tell me the results.  Seems I have a labral tear and I've been passed to a surgeon now (may or may not require surgery).  
The MRI required an injection of dye into the hip joint in order for the results to be clearer and the joint to open up a little.
I swear since then it's exacerbated the issue as I've been limping a little on long walks (although it's starting to ease up as of today).
The physio advised no running...but I cannot stress (and this will be very well understood on here) how much running has changed my life (boith physically and mentally).
From the few bits of research I've done so far on the operation to fix the issue it seems all isn't particularly rosy post op...with some saying it made the hip worse.  

I'm just wondering if there's any experience of a labral tear and the operation on here?  I'd much rather go through the muscle stretching/strengthening route if possible...and get back to running (even if it's shorter distances) asap.  
I'll also wait until I speak with the surgeon (some of the feedback I've read on forums are from people who know good surgeons...I do not know any surgeons!).

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi, I had the surgery in September. I was told 95% chance of it solving the problems so I decided to have it. I am now back running however it has been a very, very long, frustrating and difficult road back. I recommend finding a surgeon who does the op regularly. 
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Thanks TT. Was it absolutely necessary for you to have it? My physio advised me that it may be sorted with injections before surgery is considered, but until I chat with the surgeon I'm a little in the dark.  As of today, the pain is beginning to vanish, but it can be felt when my leg is twisted in a certain manner.  I think a  few more days off running and the pain will be gone.  Whether this means I should go back out I don't know (it did disappear after Christmas and I was running for quite some time...possibly over doing it and exacerbated this injury.
    From the limited research I've carried out, it seems that they 'staple' the labral tear - was that the case with you?  I guess I can't plan for anything until I've spoken with the hospital.
    Did you manage to run before the surgery or was it simply too painful (or not advised)?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi, I tried physio, injection, then surgery. Surgery was much more extensive than the consultant thought and eight months later I am still doing physio. Finished C25K two weeks ago. Before surgery I was told by the consultant I would be running a PB HM after six months! After surgery I was told I might never run again. I know people for whom surgery has not worked, and people who are now back to elite level.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Thanks TT. I'll have to wait until I speak with the surgeon before I know my route. The pain since dropping running over the past couple of weeks has subsided quite substantially (and I do miss running). I do notice it when tying shoe laces (for example),
    Did you run at all before your surgery? May do a gentle park run this weekend and take it easy.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi, I did not run between the MRI and injection, but did run (max five miles three times a week) between the injection and surgery. However it was all with the agreement of my consultant. 
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Thanks TT. I'll play it be ear (it's not particularly painful at the moment) then await the surgeon's discussion.
    Many thanks.