Is the so-called "right of freedom of expression" dead as a concept?

Comments

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Phew, no more Roger Taylor vids.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    You're not being oppressed, you're just full of shit.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    2308 said:

I didn't say I was being oppressed, I said I was being attacked.

You must live a sheltered existence if this is a case of you being attacked.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It's because black people are fundamentally an aberration than need to be sanctioned. Same with Muslims, women, fatties, cyclists etc. Only then can we be truly free, successful and sustain a quality erection.

There you go 2308.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Tatchell did a hell of a job with the gays. It's worse than herding cats.
  • Can we get some perspective here.

Alan Sugar said a stupid thing:
    Was it racist? Probably.
    Should he have apologised? Yes.
    Is he racist? I don't know, but one stupid comment shouldn't condemn him.
    Should he be sacked? I don't give a shit.

Alan Sugar was free to make his comment, other people were free to comment on his comment, he was then free to issue an apology as on reflection it was a dumb stupid thing to say in the first place.

Has anyone's freedom of expression been compromised? NO!

Yes there are situations where ideas are being suppressed through "no platforming" which stifles debate, but getting upset that Alan Sugar gets shit for being a twat does fuck all to defend free speech.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Emigrate to North Korea. You'll soon experience society bereft of freedom of expression.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    2308 said:
    So, did it pass you by that Friedland is also Jewish (or as you put it "The Jews")? Isn't that one of the groups you target?

I guess you have a ranking order in your warped mind.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭

There's some fruity ideas here about homogenous antagonistic groups with interests incompatible to the white straight male that need defending against. Hmm. There are "labels" for these kinds of fictions. Racism, sexism, antisemitism are descriptive terms. They define something. And can be misapplied. The complaint here doesn't seem to be about the terms being misapplied, but a complaint they are applied at all. That's less an appeal to freedom of expression more a personal desire to expouse unfettered prejudice.

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It seems pretty warped and unhinged to me.

Who are 'they'?
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Didn't request it.

2308 said:
    White males in particular ought to appreciate this, and watch what they say. You'll get reported to an employer and lose your job, maybe your career. Or get reported to the police. Is it worth saying what you are minded to say, or is it better just to say nothing at all, not state your view or your opinion at all?

Do you speak from personal experience?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    There's an expression that goes, 'One's man's meat is another man's poison'. 

I grew up thinking that it what that was about, was what suited some, doesn't suit others.
    Now, it's a matter for the social media police.

Freedom of expression?

There used to be this person who lived near to me. Every other person who came close to them for any reason got abuse in some form sooner or later.

When I questioned this, they said, 'Well, this is how I am, others will simply have to accept it'.
    My answer was, ''Well actually they don't have to. They'll simply avoid you'.

That's the real result of being offensive and whatever. You get marginalised. Not invited to the parties.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    However, based on the context or medium in which the abuse takes place. The consequences of said abuse takes varying forms.

In a court of law, you'll be convicted. In a town centre after mid-night - a punch in the mouth. And on the RW forum, you'll get sanctioned under rule 4.2

I wonder if those posting are aware of this.

🙂

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Given the number of fake passport posts that are reported as spam but never removed, I doubt section 4.2 is much of a threat to anyone Ric.

2308 said:

Show me the same fuss about what women say,

Roseanne Barr?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Nessie, I can soak up all manner of insults on this forum, for no better reason that none of them seem to apply to me.

Anyway, it might be best I'm getting hammered by some. If it wasn't me, it'd be someone else getting it.

As for the section 4.2, the lack of application by moderators may simply indicate the forum has become irrelevant to them.

🙂