Options

Stride Length

GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
Hi all,

I'm playing around with cadence v stride length at the moment and trying to figure out what is better. I know I'm looking for a sweet spot in the cadence sense of 160-180, which is fine. However over the last two months I've also started to concentrate on stride length as well and see what works for me.

When I look back at my Garmin data I see from a year ago I was running an average of 168 spm with a stride length of 1.14m and probably just about sneaking under 25 mins for a 5K (Parkrun). Recently, by concentrating more on the stride length (and also doing Parkrun as a progression instead of just going out and attempting to maintain a pace for as long as possible) I've got that down to 23:47 with average 165 spm and 1.28, stride length. 

This change in stride length and also running a bit more 'tactically' has helped as I was able to get up to a maximum of 187 spm by having enough in store to be able to sprint to the finish. I also find I seem to flow more on my runs. But it makes me wonder where my optimum stride length is. Whilst not wanting to over stride and throw myself off balance, I'm wondering if I can afford to lengthen my stride slightly more whilst still maintaining the cadence. This is the joy (and curse) of having this kind of data available. It puts the anal into analyse. I figure with the correct strategy and also optimum cadence/stride length I can get under 23:30 and push close to sub 23. That would then set me up for this year's challenge of doing sub 50 for the 10K.

Does anyone know of a stride length calculator where I can see if I'm hitting that optimum?

Cheers,

GD

Comments

• Options
    That's the problem with having too much data to analyse!
    I'm not sure there is an optimal stride length, it will entirely depend upon your own biomechanics rather than using some theoretical optimum that may have been developed for use by elite athletes who have a mass of data and professional coaching.
    It does sound as if you are doing the right thing as you are getting faster!
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply and that's what I'd figured, that it would be a difficult one to answer and it would very much depend on the individual. 

I think I'll just carry on and take 1.28m as my optimal stride As you say it seems to be working.
  • Options
    What you're actually doing is attempting to increase your stride length by increasing your range of motion -the distance between each foot. This can only be done in two ways -by reaching forward with your swing leg or keeping your support foot on the ground longer. Both of these slow your cadence and your speed!

Landing closer to under your hips (often achieved in a small way by quickening your cadence) will allow you to move forward quicker...and moving quicker will increase your true stride length.

As a test, from standing, stride as far forward with your right leg as possible. Now, how far have you moved forward? Where your forward foot is? Nope. Look where your hips are -that's how far you've moved forward. 

You can't increase your speed by artificially increasing your stride
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Tried the test and you're right about not moving forward too far. Although I'm not trying to increase speed by increasing my stride, I'm trying to find the optimum stride length with optimum cadence.

If I shorten my stride to achieve a greater cadence I find that 'choppy' running style uncomfortable and difficult. Whereas if I lengthen my stride by 10cm I seem to run more freely and with less effort. I guess it's all horses for courses and just finding what works for each of us.
  • Options
    ianbianb ✭✭
    I think maybe it depends on what SSLHP means by artificially lengthening stride. I agree if it's a case of what I'd call having a longer reach (behind or in front), but there's the power element as well to increase stride, where you're off the ground, so I'm not sure if you mean you are driving more power during the same landing time ?

I'd continue playing around anyway, I think these all are good skills to fiddle around with and can come into play at different times, as long as form isn't compromised.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    And I suspect that's the issue, artificially lengthening the stride. I think that's what I was doing when trying to up the cadence (although in that sense shortening the stride to hit the cadence mark). But I will continue to fiddle :smile: