Running and throwing up phlegm - Signs of acid reflux and anxiety

Just been for a 4km run (20 min, normal 153bpm and peak 175 bpm) and during the run, I had to throw up twice, the last one forcing myself so had to cough up some of my lunch and forcing me to stop running or I would throw up more. I want to love running but felt nervous before running and was overthinking things while running and making sure I take water with me and clean my nose before going. I have been dealing with anxiety for a while now and feel like I always having something in my throat. Believing that exercise will be good for me and I do love running. Can anyone suggest any good running methods for anxiety, exercises to do before a run or any guidance? Thanks

Comments

• How soon before running did you eat your lunch?

You don't need to worry about taking water with you for a 20 minute run (unless you're somewhere really hot!).

How does your anxiety affect you usually? Have you ever had any CBT to help you to manage it?

Do you know anyone else who runs? Finding a friend to run and chat with could be a way forward.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Thanks for replying

My lunch was 2 hours after eating a toasted sandwich

At the moment, my anxiety is up and down, I've been yawning quite a bit to catch my breath and was congested in the shower this morning that caused me to cough up.

I've done CBT and I'm on the waiting list to do some more

I use to do 5km twice a week but have also had an issue with congestion and phlegm
  • @Little M.iss Happy Going to do another run before lunch and see if that makes a difference
  • Could it be the time of year causing increased congestion and phlegm wsr? I am asthmatic and whilst I don't usually have hay fever symptoms I do find I have more phlegm and congestion.

Can you apply the CBT techniques you learnt to your running? Or would it help to take the pressure off yourself by setting out to cover 5k however you can - walking, run/walking, running depending on how you feel?

I wouldn't expect eating lunch two hours before you ran to have been close enough to have had an adverse impact.

Sorry - sort of thinking out loud so feel free to ignore anything unhelpful.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.