Are you an overeating overexerciser? Do you consider this to be an "eating disorder"?

I did this for years. It has only just occurred to me that actually it's an eating disorder. Duh!

The synthesis of the problem is:
* that you eat too much on a regular basis. (Easily done. Especially if you're a bloke.)
* you get heavy (however perceived) due to the overconsumption of calories,
* someone says to you you could run that bulk off, why not exercise? Or, you read about people exercising to rid of overweightness and think, let's do likewise.
* So you turn to running!
* You discover running sort of solves the issue. "Hey yeah running works as a magic solution - I can run off my fatness (overweightness) 100 calories a mile. Just run 30 miles to run off each pound of weight I want to shed, seems a good solution to me." So you crack on. weeks of long steady mileage.

You thereby TRAP yourself. You find a cure for your overeating, in running!

But you don't see the trap. You don't see yourself as trapped. The trap is invisible.

What you fail to do is what you should have done in the first place if you'd been a bit brighter about the problem you were faced with: actually curb your overeating (i.e. eat and drink an appropriate number of food-calories, instead of carrying on overeating). So you condemn yourself to having to run 25, 30, 40 miles a week. You get out there to do your "weekly mileage". As a sort of obligation to your waistline.

You are "exercising more", but you forgot/omitted to "eat less". What a dummy.

Of course we all say (or pretend) all of this running is fun. I mean, yes, it is fun. Or it can be. In a way. But when you HAVE TO get your mileage done in order to trim your waistline because you haven't taken the more sensible, far simpler, far less time consuming course of stopping eating so much, actually you're being a bit of an idiot. (Me, I mean.)

I've sorted it out now. What you have to do (obvious to some I expect) is to eat a right amount (of good nutritious food) in the first place (instead of overeating) and then do the amount of running you actually want to do.
i.e. what you need to avoid doing (obvious to some I expect) is to avoid eating MORE THAN a right amount of food and then be forced to do a great deal of running (and/or other exercise) you would prefer not to be having to do, in order to cancel out the calories from the unnecessary excessive food intake.

I just thought I would highlight this because I suspect a lot of other people are trapped in the same synthesis I got trapped in, and don't even see it as a trap and maybe they should in order to free themselves from it by curbing their eating somewhat instead of having to run and run and run. I'm not saying running isn't amazingly great, but it is time consuming and you don't want to be wasting your time doing too much running because you are doing too much eating, rather than taking the simpler solution of reducing your eating.

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I don't really agree with this.

When I first got into running, it could have been true - i.e., I was running to try and lose weight.  But these days, I try and lose weight to help with the running.