Help, race with previous injurys

runner27runner27 ✭✭✭
Background
im young, I use to be runner than couple years ago, uses to cover 11 miles pure running without stopping. I had accident caused fractures and inflammations down my leg, still hurts today when doing stuff on occasion. Have to have several hot baths, heat patches, painkillers and others when it hurts. I cant really run far without it hurting (5 miles) so have to keep doing walk/run to stop it. i can run through it but after it will take week maybe more to stop it hurting.

Im planning to get back into the races but don't know what to due. Its a passion, its a something i have to do. Not doing this or quitting/failing is worse than pain doing it.
I use to run them all without stopping, it felt like i didn't earn it if i walked but don't think i can do pure running anymore.
I have 10km and half coming up in September and after full, but don't know what to do never done run/walk before. I can only train onces a week to make sure it does over do my leg

Does it still count as running it, sound stupid think mentally it matters.
Do other people do this in 10km/halfs/full?
Anybody else got advice on injury maintain or what to do well running or look after
Any advice well doing it
I dont want to be embarrassed coming in at like 3-4 hour mark well other people would have finished it

Comments

• runner27runner27 ✭✭✭
    plus my times are slow now do to it
  • I'm no expert but perhaps consult a doctor about you injury before trying to run.

Also have you built you millage up slowly or have you just thought since you could run 11 miles before the injury you could carry on where you left off? If running 5 miles is a problem try run a shorter distance for a few weeks and then add half a mile each run. You have plenty time to build up to a half marathon by September. 

I wouldn't worry to much about walking!, allot of people do it. 
  • runner27runner27 ✭✭✭
    > @bigballer69 said:
    > I'm no expert but perhaps consult a doctor about you injury before trying to run.
    >
    > Also have you built you millage up slowly or have you just thought since you could run 11 miles before the injury you could carry on where you left off? If running 5 miles is a problem try run a shorter distance for a few weeks and then add half a mile each run. You have plenty time to build up to a half marathon by September. 
    >
    > I wouldn't worry to much about walking!, allot of people do it. 

Thanks for advice
    ya i did, they gave injections

i just ran the 5 miles.
    but leg just hits in at 5 miles, so have to walk then start running again and repeat, but if lower it down to two or three then walk 0.3 mile then run after ever 3 miles i could control it better
  • Hello

Studies among recreational runners have identified previous injuries, running