Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Should we be worried? Unlike this forum site providing links out to the new US content, that site no longer displays a link in the top navigation saying FORUMS? Are the days numbered for us do you think?
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just in case anyone is still looking for flights!  The exact flights I booked a few months ago on AF/KLM are available today at £329 LHR/JNB return. I thought what I paid (£408) was a bargain not to be missed.  :/  . Jnb/Durban returns are always available at about £80.

SS, how can you think of missing such a bargain? Substitutions begin 1 March! :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You arrive early and leave late don't you Terry, what if we leave LHR Jun 6th return Jun 10th - will there even be any availability? I agree that SS needs a nice long SA holiday right then though!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Just booked my flights today actually. Have gone with emirates and again are a great price at £499 return, best i have ever seen them.

And i have decided i prefer the down run after three goes at each...

• A nice long holiday would be good. I'm unlikely to do a marathon in qualifying time though so will just have to live it through you lot :)
  • Mr SS doing London again. Perhaps we should try again for a meet up somewhere. Theres a few of you doing it I think
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    1owrez said:
    You arrive early and leave late don't you Terry, what if we leave LHR Jun 6th return Jun 10th - will there even be any availability? I agree that SS needs a nice long SA holiday right then though!
    Just checked a minute ago -June 6 to June 10, LHR JNB available for £329.52! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey Terry, I should have waited too! Nice one Marty - I have flown Emirates twice and loved it.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A Saturday night meet sounds good SS. I am currently meeting a non-forum Comrades runner on Golden Jubilee foot bridge that evening with the intention of consuming some pasta with her, I am staying in Waterloo; shall we try and form a merry band with Becca and Dannirr? Is Mr SS going for a time or dressing up? Like Thomas my friend is actually going for qualification at London; I think my dramatic ways are catching!
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I'm in for a London meeting - just let me know where and when.      
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Good to hear Dannirr, I will let SS give us more about her plans and we can plot our coincidence... so are you in the UK for an extended stay in April... this Boston you spoke of... Lincolnshire England or Massachusetts USA?
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    USA!  Not sure how long I'll be in the UK yet - probably not very long.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow :) I am jealous! Am I being too intrusive asking about qualification? Were your recent injury problems related to busting a gut to get the qualification time or did you take another route to entry?
  • Mr SS going for a nice day and finishing although I've obviously drawn him up a schedule and am cracking the whip :)
    The night before might be better for a meet up if that suits everyone plus anyone else that can get there. Just set the time and place Lowrez
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS if I was stringing out the drama and needing to qualify here too it is a comforting thought that you and your whip might be available for a commission :)

Right! I better get researching an eatery, unless anyone else can jump in and recommend somewhere? I am not a native of that there London.
  • > @1owrez said:
    > Hi Gary, you are going for No.6 I see :) have you had a bad time these past 2 years? Sorry if I have raised something you might not want to discuss. Have you qualified yet? Thanks for the lodgings heads up.

Hi Yep last two years injured just before comrades. Last year femur knuckle stress fracture two weeks before . I did ask if I could fit in another 90K and then rest but Dr not impressed :-). Fingers crossed for this year.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Damn Gary that is tough - and you would have been into taper by then too? Were you packing a lot of miles in prior to that? You must have had to drastically adjust your training regime for rehab after that?
  • moved to SA in 2009 and got trail running bug. Main issue not sufficient recovery between events and so learnt the hard way . So for 2019 less millage , more quality and having a coach is the way forward.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    All good measures, glad you have adapted and got back on "the right trail", who is your coach, some of us follow Lindsey Parry's advice, webinars, coaching etc.
  • Also very popular Norrie Williamson. He focused on HR and Time and not distance which stopped my over training.  
  • Even non-running people in my office are talking about Jasmin P - nice to see ultra running getting some mainstream coverage. It was an astonishing run from her - the first man, and also the existing record holder,  was 15 hours behind her.
    In one of those coincidences I was in college with Eoin who was the guy who finished in 2nd place ~15 hours behind her! He did say in his pre-event video that she was a potential winner depending on how well she handled the move to her first multi-day event. Pretty well I'd say!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Did I see that Eoin was in danger of going hypothermic which is why he was forced to break and bring his temperature back up? Its like being hauled off at the base of Fields Hill in a down run and a saline drip being forced upon you. So much more than just putting one foot in front of the other at ultra distance that you have to managed to be a success. JK - what a class reunion that would be in the future - put your hands down if you have run less than 10 miles, 20 miles... 50 miles, look you two stop pi**ing us about!

Ahh - run to heart rate - you need to talk to Becca7 Gary, many fine finishes running to her ticker! But is that the Norrie who did the scare on only gun time marathon finishes being accepted in the future? Give him a slap from each one of us for free! My 4:48 net this year would be a failure in that case at 4:52 gun!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Now, I've grown tired of these miniature squeaky sobbing celebrity chefs over the years, luvvly jubbly, but I've got nothing major against them. Note that I avoided looking at this one for some time but having searched for a while it keeps luvvly bubbling to the top of the list; nice range of pasta dishes, reasonably priced with a 7pm table for 8 currently available on the evening of 27th April, so how does this look:-

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    We get chucked out after an hour and 30 minutes by the way! Plus the 7pm is just a suggestion, earlier, later, its all good to me.
  • > @1owrez said:
    > A Saturday night meet sounds good SS. I am currently meeting a non-forum Comrades runner on Golden Jubilee foot bridge that evening with the intention of consuming some pasta with her, I am staying in Waterloo; shall we try and form a merry band with Becca and Dannirr? Is Mr SS going for a time or dressing up? Like Thomas my friend is actually going for qualification at London; I think my dramatic ways are catching!

I’m starting to think that maybe I should run a marathon before London to practice Comrades pacing. I always go out too fast so I think it’d be a good experiment to run a marathon ‘slowly’, forcing myself to slow down if necessary.

Also.. having not run an ultra before is there merit in trying to run a 30 miler to get an appreciation for running greater than marathon distance? Longer? I could realistically only fit one ‘extra’ very long run into my training..

> @1owrez said:
    > Should we be worried? Unlike this forum site providing links out to the new US content, that site no longer displays a link in the top navigation saying FORUMS? Are the days numbered for us do you think?

Re this. I am a software engineer and am currently working on an iOS app for creating/following training plans. I’ve had lots of suggestions for ‘social’ functionality, finding races, talking about them etc. Would having a basic race by race chat functionality be something people might like? Would people interact with something like that through a mobile app?

> @1owrez said:
    > Now, I've grown tired of these miniature squeaky sobbing celebrity chefs over the years, luvvly jubbly, but I've got nothing major against them. Note that I avoided looking at this one for some time but having searched for a while it keeps luvvly bubbling to the top of the list; nice range of pasta dishes, reasonably priced with a 7pm table for 8 currently available on the evening of 27th April, so how does this look:-
    >
    > Restaurant - Pasta Menu

Is this a pre London meal you are organising? Is it an open invite? :smiley:

Last time I did London I treated myself to a ‘posh’ Italian restaurant. Got about 5 pieces of ravioli :smiley: whilst it tasted good I did end up in Tesco shortly after consuming multiple ‘pasta pots’ :smile:
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Thomas, I am really glad you are thinking of doing more events... I put Boston Lincs in my diary as its a real banker for a qualifying time with only 12ft of ascent on it across the whole 26! Manchester is a very good mainstream event too pretty flat compared to most, I qualified there last year. An ultra would be very beneficial as a long training run and a big confidence booster and experience at going longer, a nice slow n easy 50ks worth of Canalathon would do you no harm at all :)

I was already counting you in the 8 for London pasta Thomas :) I will do a count up next to see if 8 was correct!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

So 8 at the osteria for London:-

• 1owrez + 1
    • SS plus Mr SS
    • Thomas
    • Dannirr
    • Becca
    • Running Rodent

Those are "only" the ones with declared involvement in the event so far (sorry if I have not picked up on other comments made); the invite is of course open to all who want to go :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thomas I have half thought of registering a domain and chucking in an open source bulletin board if this one evaporates, would only cost a few quid per annum - the usual problem with any "commercial" software is the purpose is usually to make a profit and it gets compromised with adverts and other non-relevant sh^t like selling all the personal content of the registrees for profit etc. My idea was to do it for free... but I bet ultimately I would become drawn in to the dark and seedy underworld of profit. I do update this place via my phone every so often; it doesn't seem to have an app but works ok in a browser on mine. If there was a good service elsewhere I suppose we would use it, we kinda have a nostalgic relationship with this place even though the implementation of Vanilla here isn't that good - I better shut up on that front, last time I started making those type of comments this whole thread and my access and id evaporated :( My guffaw comment above was another direct poke in the ribs for the powers that be again - the wonderful new world never did appear in my point of view.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Back to Comrades; Dannirr I was looking at the 2015 thread for my Canalathon report for Thomas and I found this from one of your posts, amazing, the Kearsney Boys Choir flashmob Hillcrest Kwikspar in support of Hillcrest Aids Centre Trust, one of the six Comrades Amabeadibeadi charities