Comrades 2019

Comments

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Thomas, it’s good to have some days off! Looks as if apart from 2 days immediately after London you’ve run every day (and at a pace most of us couldn’t dream of!). I’m no expert, but I would think you need a proper rest and recovery after London, so have a break for a good few days give your body a proper chance to recover, and then just carried on as you planned ( but not trying to make up what you’ve “missed”) and you’ll smash Comrades:-)
  • Mc Hilly: thanks. Legs are still feeling a bit tired - was getting very slow during yesterday morning's club run. Hope they recover in time for NDW50!
    Max, do be careful with that groin strain. Rest a bit!
    Thomas, take the time you need to rest and recover. As the saying goes, 'better undertrained than overstrained'. As Becca says, an extended taper is a better bet than trying to do big miles in the couple of weeks before Comrades. Doing some much shorter fast runs closer to race day might be okay - but not until you've recovered from London.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @McHilly - not sure if any race offers a Rolls-Royce as a prize, but I'm happy to give you a ride n one whether you win or not!

• Dannirr: oh wow - that's  beautiful.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Dannirr, it's quite some collection you have.

Debra, forgot to say before that it's some great prep you've done for the NDW.  Hopefully, you have enough time to recover.  It should be a great race, from what I can remember of running bits of it it's a lovely path.

McH, well done on your Marlborough Downs race, that must have been a good confidence booster and good luck for Windermere.

Max I hope that injury heals well.  

I'm pretty much tapering now and London will have been my last long run.  I've run three marathons this year so I'm not short of long runs, even if I've not done an ultra since Comrades last year.  With my knee laceration on New Year's Day and piriformis/hip flexor problems after that and hip/toe niggles after that I'm about 400 miles down on years when I've had sub 10 Comrades and about 150 down on last year's sub 11 but it's too late to be chasing miles and, similar to what Debra advised above, I think the best thing will be to try and sharpen pace.  After London I did contemplate giving Comrades a miss but I was happy enough with a 1:52 half at the weekend and hopefully I'm sufficiently on track.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I need to send the Comrades training police around - a 34M downhill run, 7h+ runs - please no more.  It's almost time to get the hand-sanitiser out which means no more excessive long runs

Yes Thomas - I agree with Becca - rest now and bank on the fitness you built for London.  There are still 3w and 4 days left.  I would concentrate on getting recovered post London and then try and bag a reasonable 7 days training in 5-10 days from now.

Remarkably my training is progressing to let me cross the start line.  I ran 80km last week off 4 runs which is the most I have been able to manage for 3 years.  This week should also be a big week with 87km the target
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Excellent news that things are going in the right direction Bike It, it's been a long time so fingers crossed.
  • > @Becca7 said:
    > Sorry to hear that things have been tough, Thomas.  I think that recovery at this stage is more important than mileage.  Rest, eat well and hydrate.  The training that you have already done will stand you in good stead and it sounds like an extended taper is what you need.  Certainly, don't try to lump a load of mileage on at the end of the month to try and catch up.

Absolutely. Having had that first day off I have realised that it is better to run and finish and perhaps miss time goals than to be completely broken on the start line. Thanks for your thoughts.

> @Mc Hilly said:
    > Thomas, it’s good to have some days off! Looks as if apart from 2 days immediately after London you’ve run every day (and at a pace most of us couldn’t dream of!). I’m no expert, but I would think you need a proper rest and recovery after London, so have a break for a good few days give your body a proper chance to recover, and then just carried on as you planned ( but not trying to make up what you’ve “missed”) and you’ll smash Comrades:-)

Oh wow. Given that I want to go into coaching down the line I am fairly reckless with my own training. It least its not 'ignorant recklessness' but rather 'concious, lets risk this recklessness'. A break it is !

> @Bike It said:

> Yes Thomas - I agree with Becca - rest now and bank on the fitness you built for London.  There are still 3w and 4 days left.  I would concentrate on getting recovered post London and then try and bag a reasonable 7 days training in 5-10 days from now.

Yes. I agree. I think I just needed others to tell me this was the right thing to do.

> Remarkably my training is progressing to let me cross the start line.  I ran 80km last week off 4 runs which is the most I have been able to manage for 3 years.  This week should also be a big week with 87km the target

Glad to see that your training is going well !
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    My last Comrades I basically didn't run for a month prior to the race. Don't worry too much Thomas!
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Thomas - the sports doc who fixed my hips told me he worked with a Dutch international marathon runner about 20 years back who made up the training with cycling and gym work.  He then ran 2:10 and a PB.  As others have said don't worry too much.  Stay fit and injury free hopefully.

I'm hoping to BEGIN my training soon! 3 months with an achilles injury but I've finally got a decent physio that diagnosed a deep calf problem originating from hip mis-alignment.  After some torture, this has taken the pressure off the achilles and the inflammation is going down such I can now walk without feeling it pulling - reasons to be hopeful! I'm cycling and in the gym.  Also on the SUP board later given the sunny and warmer temperatures in NL!

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - what a lovely motor.  Not shipping it over to recce the course?
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Thomas, It's good to see all the good advice you've received.  I'm sure you'll get a great result on the day after all your superb training.

Bike It and Mac3 - it's nice to hear of some good progress lately. I so wish I could also be running, but I nevertheless look forward to seeing you all soon. Enjoy the current better weather as you start approaching taper time - what a pleasure.
  • Becca, thanks. I did a litle speed session yesterday, just 5x800m on grass, and having been feeling like my legs were tired, was pleasantly surprised (didn't push it too much). Will do a short run this evening and then rest for a couple of days, I think, before NDW on Saturday. I've offered to help this evening in my club's 5-mile road handicap, as I don't want to risk pulling something at this point! Well done on your HM - I know, not 'fast' for you, but not too shabby either!
    Thomas: glad we could all help you make the right decision!
    Bike It: glad the training is now progressing.
    Mac3: really glad to hear that the root problem has been found and addressed - does make a difference! Good luck from here on.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭

My own updated health saga follows:  I’ve had some unexpected good news on that front.  The history was that last August my cardiologist gave me heart MRI results in clinic with the scary news that my aortic root was at a 52mm diameter aneurysm. Along with that she gave me very stern warnings about reducing training and avoiding exertion. Also, that major surgery was soon likely when this reached their recommended surgery threshold of 55mm.  The result was a cut in my training to about 25% of previous.  That 52mm report was separately twice reported by her in writing to me and my GP.  So, I believed all that!

About two months ago I was back for a treadmill stress echocardiograph. This was with a different cardiologist as the previous one had since left Papworth.  My stress exercise performance result was rated as “excellent”. I couldn’t fully understand why the written echo report seemed to indicate only a 42mm dimension which, as a layman, I thought maybe measured something other than the aneurysm?

Yesterday, I was back at Papworth for a follow up clinic with the electrophysiologist who has now put me on waiting list for a fresh attempt at catheter ablation to sort out pesky tachycardia issues (these had always been less worrying than the aneurysm).  He kindly agreed to also review and explain all previous MRI reports with me, on screen. Hey presto! The latest and all previous results confirmed the 42mm aneurysm!!  We agreed that somehow, someone must have managed a typo in relaying results to my previous cardiologist. And, she clearly didn't do her own proper MRI review!

Those reporting errors sadly pushed me into an excessive decline in my training/fitness.  I now hope to gradually start increasing my training, if I can stay re-motivated.  I was, however, still warned by the ‘new’ cardiologist to be cautious about degree of effort (my ‘severe’ aortic valve leak remains an issue) but now I at least feel that I might achieve a better work-up towards Berlin marathon :)

I guess one take away from this story is that you should always try to get a ‘second opinion ’on issues like this, if only to avoid simple clerical errors. That could apply to many running related injuries too.  Sorry to bore you with this long saga - I just needed to get this gripe over with!

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Terry, I don't blame you for being irked! What a mess. Typos like that -do- happen (I inadvertently upped someone's age from 60s to 70s in my parkrun book - and then the publisher changed it to words, so it wasn't obvious it was a typo!). However, with something that important, you would think they would double-check.
    Glad that this revised report means you can do more training, if carefully. And good luck for getting the ablation done.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @Mac3 - no, not shipping it over to recce the course :).    But that's not to say I have not shipped one over before to recce the Two Oceans course:

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - a beautiful car.  Made in Crewe I hope.  Some of my family were 'Crewe Men' of the railway works although Auntie Jessie ran a boarding house 'for the apprentice boys of Rolls Royce'.  I'm the owner of a Crewe Station Master silver pocket watch which has started the journeys of millions of people from my Uncle Sid.  These times have gone by now and I grateful you could keep this engineering heritage going
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @Bike It:  Actually, not made in Crewe.  Made in Springfield, Massachusetts during the 10-12 years that RR had a factory there.   But, in order to remain in your good books (at least I hope I'm there), I do have a few others that were made in Crewe  :).  
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes Dannirr, you are in my good books (unless you are going to say you are doing a 50 mile training run this weekend, carrying a 20kg backpack, having fasted for 3 days).  Great to hear you are keeping these cars going. It's really a pleasure to see and appreciate them. Enjoy

My Crewe Station Master watch case was made in London 1883 by William Hunter, I don't know about the movement.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - another lovely machine and photo with the iconic backdrop.  The Two Oceans route would be more fitting for a Rolls
    Terry - glad you are making progress and the new diagnosis was the right way!

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
    Terry48
    Marty74 +1
    Jock and Karen
    thomasclowes
     Seren and Terry
    Peter + 1

We have 18 for Lingela so far.  Any late additions are welcome!  I've added in Peter and his wife.  Peter is a Brit and a 'neigbour' to me in Gouda.  We were acquainted via the Dutch Comrades Ambassador. It's Peter's first so shower him with all your good advice! He achieved sub 3 at London but correctly being cautious in his ambitions.

• PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mac3, and hello everyone! Peter here, ive just got around to registering on the forum. Ive ran quite a few marathons and just the one 100k ultra a couple of years ago. Very excited about comrades, although my training hasn't been ideal.. so will see how it goes. Looking to sneak under 9 hours for a Bill Rowan..
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Peter.  This is the best race you can do, although it's a tough one.  Fingers crossed for your sub 9.

Terry - thanks for the update.  Wishing you well.

Debra - the best of luck for the NDW 50.  
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Peter. With a London sub 3 you should easily get a Bill Rowan. That sub 3 even suggests a silver chance if you have a good well manged run on the day!

Debra enjoy the NDW 50. 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice to have you on board Peter. With that speed for the marathon you will go well..

Debra - time to smash the NDW50 today. Go well and enjoy!!

Mac3 - cheers for arranging the meet up on Friday. Looking forward to meeting everyone again.

Terry - Glad to hear your health issues are improving. No bad thing that you weren't over exerting yourself, hopefully that has built a nice base to move forward with. Fingers crossed for the future and see you in Durbs!!!!

And finally, after a favour on race day. Does anyone by chance have a spare seat in a car to get my mate up to PM to meet me for the finish. We plan to take the bus back so it will be just be a one way journey. Thanks in advance for helping.

And stay calm and relaxed for the next three weeks, we've done the hard work, its so close now.....
  • Becca, Terry, Marty: thank you:
    NDW50 finished in 9:42 - 10 minutes faster than in 2012 - and as a bonus 1st female over 50! (As an extra bonus they took a while to find me and give me my voucher for their shop because they though I looked too young to be in that age category!!)
    I really didn't think I'd manage my goal of sub-10, then at about 1/3 of the way through I passed a friend who had set off much faster than me (he -is- normally somewhat faster than me) but was struggling with a hip problem, and he said I was well in with a chance - so I kept pushing on and I did it! Really pleased and keen to go back and run it even faster next year!

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra - what a great result! Lovely to meet your goal on the day.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Congrats Debra! Amazing achievement! Really enjoyed my run around Windermere today, felt comfortable all the way around, so a nice confidence boost. Time to taper now. Was great to see Peter R and a few other Comrades runners along the route
  • Mc Hilly, thanks. Glad you had a good run at Windermere - hope you taper goes well.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Top work Debra. I can't believe you can keep running all these long events so soon after each other with such great results. I need a rest just reading about them!!!!!

Nice running at Windermere MCH.