Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Muddy - congrats on the PB and great finishing position. I'm sure you're being modest and the wind also probably did play a factor. Shame about missing out on a bit of Jo Pavey love though.

Hazel - great report and fantastic pacing. Sounds like you pretty much got it spot on. Really happy for you, that's a huge PB!

Thanks Reg - bike numbers are definitely highest they've ever been - I've only been doing it properly a couple of years, so hoping to still be on quite a sharp improvement curve.

HA - the walking can take a lot more out of you than you realise; I've definitely found that in the past. Love the false start strategy. That actually sounds like a half decent plan. 

Jools - huge week! Good luck for this weekend. Should be a good, tough, day out. What's the forecast looking like?

SQ - I'd front load the week and then race the half after a mini-taper. From what I've seen, you're in great shape, and you don't know when you'll be back in this position. Besides, we do this for fun right, and racing is the fun bit. I'd only say don't do it if you're still feeling ill; I reckon you'll be good by the weekend though.

Had a fairly decent weekend of training after feeling pretty off during the week. Saturday was a longer run (17 miles) alternating blocks of 3 miles @ 6:52mm and 3 miles @ 6:05mm (no recovery). Was a really hard session, but managed to tie it in so I could run the 2nd faster interval at parkrun, which very handily also happens to be Katie's 5km PB pace. She ran 18:50 which was an 18 second PB and was chuffed; things looking good for Chicago. 

Sunday, with the horrific weather conditions, there was no chance I was risking falling off my bike and getting injured. So the only options was 5 hours on the turbo. It wasn't fun, but got it done. Also used it as a good chance to get some heat training in, so windows were closed and it quickly turned into an oven. I got through 8 litres of fluid. Ran 40 minutes straight off the bike, and was surprisingly the best I've ever felt after a long bike. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Muddy: great time and really good to PB off a patchy build up. Are you planning on a big PB attempt in the Spring?

Hazel: great report and as others have said you totally nailed the pacing - it must have felt great when you got to 20+ miles and you were still able to sustain that pace. There's no better feeling than running strong at that stage of a marathon. In all honesty it's nothing more than your training deserved and I'm glad it all came together so well for you on the day :)

Joe: 5hrs on the turbo :s You deserve to be going to Kona for that alone!
  • Options
    Thanks for the report Hazel.  Incredible pacing, totally deserved the sizeable PB.

Muddy - fantastic placing and well done on the PB.  I like that you’ve left yourself a target for next time out 2:4x ?

SQ - I know you’re not following P&D but if I’m doubt I would go back to it, 20m LR 3 weeks out IIRC.  You nailed the half in the spring so I would concentrate on nailing the full.

Top weekend of running and racing Jools.  

Joe, 5hrs on the turbo 👏. If you don’t mind me asking what did you do for salt / energy replacement amongst the 8 litres of fluid ?
  • Options

Well done, muddy! So pleased for you. Brilliant. Shame you missed a congratulatory kiss from Jo Pavey ;)

FIVE hours on the turbo, Joe? Good grief! And congrats to Katie. Fantastic parkrun achievement. She's smashing all her PBs to smithereens. Bet she will fly around that Chicago course.

SQ: I'd be careful with a flat out effort nursing a cold. These things can spread to the heart and cause myocarditis. You really don't want that.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    How's the cold today SQ?
    Conflicting advice we have offered: race afficionados (ok addicts :D ) like Joe & myself were always going to say "GO FOR IT!" Cooler heads have probably confirmed your instincts though.
    That's a massive weekend's training Joe. Congratulations to Katie - that's some 5K PB. Must be those track sessions you subjected her to. Hope you had a few entertaining movies for that turbo! Don't blame you for erring on the side of caution after your double near death bike scares in Bolton however it turned out lovely here.
    A marathon PB off 6 week build-up from a man who renounced marathons a year ago - pretty incredible stuff Muddy. 9th place :o & you left Jo Pavey hanging :s
    Just 5M at lunch today along the canal, so nice & flat. Really pleased with how bouncy the legs felt after such a big w/e. Lovely day for it too: sunny, still & cool. Cycle commute was heaven :)
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great report Hazel, pacing doesn't get much better than that. The peaks in the photo is An Teallach, which is up towards Ullapool.

Casual PB Muddy, awesome stuff. 

Joe - 5 hours!!!! Impressive and insane. You deserve a good race. I'm sure you're far too honest to employ my cheating tactics. I was a very competitive 16 year old at the time. All good signs for Katie. It seems if all goes well a big marathon PB could be on the cards.

SQ - I'd take the doctor's advice, take it easy and make sure you recover. Although I think you must be feeling ok after seeing your effort this morning on strava. I don't think a single session will make any difference to your fitness and the only way it could affect Abingdon is if it contributes to your illness lingering. It's consistency that's important and you've been nailing it every week. You're probably in the form of your life at the moment. I wouldn't be risking overdoing it in the last few weeks. If you're still suffering some effects of a cold, the only reason to race hard is because you'll enjoy it. After telling you to take it easy, I think I'd struggle not to race once the blood is pumping at the start line.

A decent Mona fartlek yesterday but I'm really struggling to do any sort of volume. Was out of action all weekend on a wet and muddy Scout camp with my son. Great fun though.
  • Options
    Great report hazel, you were clearly in top shape to get to halfway ahead of plan and still feeling good. Another big tick for P&D amd a perfect weekend for you. 

Muddy - well done on the PB and a well run marathon. Looks like you’ve cracked it and sub 2:50 is calling... 

Missd out on Tokyo again so am left with a gap for spring. Only local option is Canberra but it’s a twisty, windy, hilly course so might have to wait until Gold Coast comes round in July. Think I’ll just work on my HM pb in the meantime. 
  • Options
    Macca - interesting question, and the answer is not enough. I think nutrition is the one area I need to get more on top of to get that extra 1-2%. I didn't replace any salt or electrolytes, just had around 600kcals worth of energy bars. Probably not enough. I know I'm predominantly fat burning, but will need a bit more replacement in Kona.

Thanks Jools. I can't wait to see how she gets on. Had a couple of TV shows on the go, but I do actually find it hard to concentrate sometimes and end up missing what's going on. Glad to hear the legs are feeling bouncy.

HA - not sure I'd fancy the scout camp, I'm a terrible camper - right diva. The volume takes time to come back, don't worry about that, and don't up it by too much too soon. You going to be at London again?

John - sorry to hear about Tokyo. Do you not get some kind of GFA?

Track this morning; blooming freezing cycling there! Some more rolling miles, alternating 6:45mm and 5:40mm. Hard effort, legs felt pretty good for the opening 4 miles, but definitely faded towards the end of the session; felt like I was carrying around two anchors attached to my hips. Pleased with the execution though, really gave it some welly. 

Posted another blog also, trying to keep it regular in the build up to Kona now;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2018/09/24/road-to-kona-3-weeks-to-go/
  • Options

Glad the niggle is ok chicksta, you’ve bounced back from the marathon quickly.

Nice work at parkrun Jooligan, and impressive mileage. 333 parkruns is incredible. I live basically on the doorstep of my nearest, and have only made it to 4 in 18 months :D

Great report Hazel, and impressively even splits. Well done for not letting the watch freeze throw you too much. Love how happy you look after passing the finish line!

You know my thoughts SQ, 13@MP makes most sense IMHO.

Congrats on the PB Muddy, impressive off a short build-up.

Five hours on the turbo is insane Joe, but no doubt superb heat and mental training! And congrats to Katie on yet another PB.

Bad luck missing out on Tokyo John. A break to concentrate on shorter distances might be good though, I know I enjoyed doing just that last autumn.

I was really happy to get out and do a classic ten miles along the canal on Sunday, even if the weather was rubbish. Feet were a touch sore afterwards but nothing major, and felt fine the next day so all good I think. Might try a short fartlek or something later in the week, to ease in to some more quality running. Still 10½ weeks until Telford, so hopefully enough time to get in to reasonable shape if things continue to go well.

Proper winter conditions today, so long summer!

• Options
    Just read your latest blog Joe. Kudos for being honest about the dip in motivation. You’ve been training hard for a long time now with not much in the way of breaks, and been through a lot with the car accident and redundancy.  So I think it’s natural and inevitable the pressure might get a bit much at times. I know I’ve had similar thoughts towards the peak of a training cycle. Sounds like you dealt with it perfectly though by backing off a bit, and glad to hear you’re feeling back on it again now.
  • Options

Fantastic result, muddy. Can’t complain about that off a short build up and a big hill late in the race.

Massive couple of sessions, Joe. 5 hours has got to be double points in the mental stakes. 8 litres? I’d hate to see the state of your carpet after that much sweating! I’d definitely be practising taking in electrolytes as they are bound to be crucial in Kona. I’ll catch up on the blog once home. Those blasted school filters can only mean you must have included some dubious pictures of you in your swim gear this time…

Jooligan, I have been meaning to drive to the canal by you for some time. I do love a canal for a long run.

Sounds another fun trip, HA. And you do seem to be knocking out some solid sessions albeit with low volume. Fancy racing a half or shorter?

Hard luck on Tokyo, JohnOz. Don’t fancy London again? I appreciate it’s not exactly in your back yard.

Thank you all for your comments and answers to my question about Cheltenham Half. I really appreciate the range of views and depth of experiences this thread offers. After easy running Thursday – Monday I feel better. I have made a decision to have a big training week and run Sunday as something like 10M easy, 13.1 MP. I think such a week, at this point out from Abingdon, will give a greater return than trying to smash a PB. That said, Joe makes an excellent point about doing the fun stuff. Fortunately I do enjoy the training, and really enjoy the rare occasion when I don’t ‘race’ a race. Greater showboating opportunities.

Yesterday morning saw a 5M recovery with spoons’ running consultancy services, before another very slow 5M in the afternoon. As the wind looked so still this morning (although a Baltic 2C driving in), I decided to do my big session today. It seemed to make sense given no hard run over the weekend. The ‘final descent’ from the BAC sessions, saw a total of 17.6M at 6:59m/m average. The efforts were 24 mins (6:29s and 3 min jog recoveries), 18 (6:22), 12 (6:19), 6 (6:10), 4 (6:15 – not quite sure what happened there), 3 (6:09 – now 2 min jogs), 2 (6:02), 2 (5:59). Really pleased to see progression in the paces. Although being out for so long did necessitate a rather rapid shower and change pre meeting. Definitely had that post run look about me as I shuffled in with seconds to spare.

• Options
    Good read Joe. Not surprised to hear you've struggled recently. You're under massive pressure with training, race ambitions & redundancy too. You were probably just shattered. Glad you've swiftly found your mojo again: pacing Katie to that PB on Saturday must've been a delight.
    Definitely not suffering too much with illness if you can manage that session SQ.
    Smashing a half PB sounds like a good target John & one which should benefit your subsequent marathon campaign.
    Those mountains were spectacular HA. If you can't find the time for volume get a 10K booked. Think Telford still has entries available.
    On the subject of HMs I've recently entered Wrexham & Wokingham again for February. I shall do what I did last year & target a PB in one & run the other as a MP effort. If the weather's playing ball Wrexham will be the PB attempt as it's a week earlier.
    Another 5M along the canal at lunch. Pushed it a bit to average 7:07 min/mile.
  • Options
    Just saw these comments about redundancy and so had a bit of a read back as I missed that, sorry Joe. Having been through that recently I completely understand what it's like. I was pretty stressed by the ordeal and although I had more time to train, mentally it was difficult to enjoy it. The problem I had was that training meant I had a lot of time to think about my predicament, the temptation was not train so that could forget about it for a bit.

The benefit I found though was that I could do better quality sessions and get more rest afterwards. No coincidence that with just a month off between jobs I knocked out a 5k PB.

5 days running in a row for me. It's all been a bit aimless though, just enjoying being able to do it.
  • Options
    Appreciate all the comments guys, thanks. 

Spoons - really good to see you back running regularly. Definite winter conditions this morning!

SQ - Hugeeeee session, really impressive running. Sounds like a solid plan re; this weekend - nout wrong with that.

Jooligan - It's always brilliant being able to share stuff like that with her, but it's getting a lot harder! I felt like a proper pacemaker at times, thinking I might have to peel off after a couple of miles and leave her to finish it off. May well see you at Wokingham again, I do like that race.

Reg - I think you're absolutely spot on with that. the training gives me a load of time to think more about the situation, and that makes me enjoy it less, when normally it's just a nice break from work and comes with added structure. That being said, as soon as we fly out and we're away for 3 weeks I know I'll be buzzing. 
  • Options
    Super muddy - well done! You were lucky with the conditions then.  Even more impressive if you were running with the remains of a cold.

Jools you are doing some great running at the moment and sound very motivated.

:D  to the drinking skills Chicksta.  I ducked out of doing the Marathon de Medoc as I was worried about getting even half way with all that wine around.  A bunch from my running group went this year and loved it.  I already had a paid Berlin place by the time they were talking about going anyway.

Would echo the careful with cold thoughts SQ but it should at least be wearing off by the weekend.

5 hours on the turbo Joe.. I take my hat off to you.  Looking forward to seeing how Katie storms around Chicago, well done to her for another PB.  And another blog to look forward to reading in a bit. 

Thanks for the location HA.  Must get to Scotland again soon, I have plenty of areas I haven't visited yet.  An Teallach looks like a good one.

Good to see the classic canal route back spoons. 

Bad luck on the Tokyo ballot John. 

Thanks for the report feedback everyone. 

I'm pleased not to be suffering from the usual post-mara blues this time around.  I've had the 3:30 goal for more than 2 years now and its great to have achieved it and not think about what could have been if I had run a little bit better.  I don't have any new targets yet but I will start thinking some up soon.   
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Just got round to reading the blog Joe. Nice one. I don't think it'll be long before you're loving it again. The main thing I want to know is - was the perfect bikini for you or Katie?
  • Options
    Joe - 5 hours is insane! What I want to know is did you get off the bike for toilet breaks or was there a handy bucket??

SQ - another great session, I must try them out in my next marathon block. What’s your progression and timing of them?

Alas GFA for Tokyo is 2:45 and with a 10% success rate it could take some time to get in. I did consider going back to Boston but didn’t think I could persuade the wife to go back so soon and she won’t let me go solo! Working on the shorter distances seems to have done some of you good so still motivation to train for it. 

Who’s up next?
  • Options
    Morning all.

Read the blog once home, Joe. Good read as always. Very sensible to take a couple of days - and then you were certainly firing on all cylinders after that. I think the time post Kona will need to be carefully managed. My friend just tagged me on a link to Oxygen Addict podcast - starring the one and only Spraggins!

Jooligan I really enjoyed the Wrexham Village Bakeries half a few years ago. Doesn't work for me now the parents in law no longer live in Chester, but am seriously considering Wokingham again. Will need to jump into a group this time and not suffer alone in the wind. 

Great to see some running consistency, Reg

John the sessions are: http://www.bournemouthac.co.uk/training/BAC_Marathon_Sessions_2016.pdf I have been really enjoying them. Although will consider returning to a P&L half plan for a Feb half.

Classic canal 10 for me this morning, and good to see spoons back on there. Legs felt surprisingly ok, and it was my fastest for a while - although still at very easy effort. 7:40s average. 

• Options
    dctdct ✭✭✭
    Skip a few days on here and you're up to your neck in reading back aren't you?

Well done on the pb Muddy. That's a wicked time.

Yes Spoons, Tracksmith split shorts. Blew my mind when I first raced in them and discovered the three pockets. Have some Patagonia shorts with three pockets, too, but haven't seen any other brands with the same. And Chicksta the gels and drink mix were by Maurten. It's a bizarre texture and holds no real flavour, just pretty sweet tasting, but as with any of this stuff you get used to it.

And talking of shorter distances, SQ and John, I picked up a copy of P&L last week with half an eye on some HMs next year. Looks similar to P&D, so once this ankle is better I might crack on. Will obviously enter the Berlin ballot again in October (without mentioning it indoors, having agreed to no more marathons for a while). I'd encourage anyone else who fancies Berlin next year to enter, too. I've some how managed to get in both times I've registered.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons: glad to see you got a 10 miler in without any issues. 10 weeks is loads of time to build up some good speed again

SQ: glad you are feeling a bit better

I had another LT session last night - I'm loosely following a P&L plan, doing an LT run in the evening and a progressive LR finishing with LT at the weekend. Everything else is just what I can fit in as and when time permits.

Last night was 20min/16min LT and I averaged 6:45/mi which has improved by about 15s/mi over the last couple of weeks which is encouraging and should mean I can have a crack at a sub 90min HM in November.
  • Options
    Which HM you racing AWC?
    That's a tidy easy pace SQ.
    Things are definitely looking positive Spoons. Still plenty of time to get for for Telford.
    For those looking for a decently priced fast 10K in January the Speedway is returning on the 20th. I'll probably enter after Telford.
    Having banked 3 big weeks I'm having a lighter week ahead of the w/e so just 5 more yesterday evening: slow & v. hilly. 3+6 today both slow & hilly.
    Weather's looking promising for the w/e. Water temperature is about 14 degrees, forecast is for 10-12 degrees, light cloud & sunny intervals later. Winds of about 8-9 mph so nothing too harsh.

• Options
    Great session yesterday SQ, I know that "into work post run feeling", working from home I've dialled into conference calls seconds to spare absolutely dripping.  Fortunately I've not got video conferencing IT yet.

Joe, as others say, an honest blog.  Wishing you and Katie a fantastic few weeks ahead.  Definitely a few % to be gained in the fuelling/hydration although after a half dozen ultras I've not got it right myself.

Pleased to hear of the 5 day streak Reg.

Jooligan , that half sounds brilliant, Wrynose, Hardknot and Kirkstone all in one race, never mind the swim and run........

AWC - if you can get the mileage in a sub 1:30 is a shoe in, you've got time on your side though.

When I can get to a PC I'll update the list, applying Joes logic, I'll be running (slowly) a marathon on 13th Oct somewhere in the 100 miles of the Autumn 100. To that end I've just been trying to maintain high mileage which seems to have helped with MP runs, although I'm getting through trainers at an alarming rate whilst in discussions with Adidas over endorsement/sponsership😜

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    JohnOz said:

Who’s up next?
    *Gulp* That'll be me then.. Race number just arrived last night.

Training has been consistent if a little unspectacular. No massive BAC or marathon sessions, just lots of easy/steady running. Feeling in good shape though. Unfortunately my tight back has returned over the last few weeks, just hoping lots of exercises and rest as the taper takes full effect will allow it to settle. 

Congrats on the PB Muddy, I'd not heard of Marathon de Hull before you mentioned it, what was your thoughts on the event/course etc?

Impressive big training Joe and SQ, I'm sure you'll reap the rewards of those big sessions.

John, sorry to hear you didn't get your Tokyo place. My friend just completed the majors this year finishing with Tokyo, think he had to buy his way in though after failing to get in through the ballot/gfa a few times.

Not heard of P&L before dct & AWC, will need to have a google to find out more.

I must have missed it, what's happening at the weekend Jooligan?

Not sure Adidas could afford to sponsor you Macca  :D
  • Options
    AlanB: it's my biannual triathlon trip to the Lake District. This one's the half IM distance. This will be my 4th time. Full details here: http://wasdalex.co.uk/index.php/halfx
    You've been putting in plenty of speedy looking miles according to Strava.
    Tight back's are often caused by tight hip flexors. I found a half-dozen sun salutations daily did wonders for my recurrent back issues.
    How many miles do you usually keep trainers in use for Macca? My current pair are almost on 2,000 running miles + I also wear them to walk around in sometimes when I forget to swap for the older pair

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: not entered the half yet - it'll either be Eton/Windsor Autumn Half on 17th Nov or Gosport Half on 18th Nov. I'm basically going to wait until early November to see how training has gone before I commit. Encouraging forecast for your weekend exploits!

Macca: Autumn half so soon! Some great MP runs on Strava I see. I normally change shoes every 500 miles but listening to Jools I might be being a bit hasty and lining the pockets of NB and Hoka a bit too much!

Alan: P&L is Pfitzinger's 2nd book called Faster Road Racing - basically P&D but for 5km to HM training.
  • Options
    HA - bikini was for Katie. I have my super tight, tiny, Clapham Chaser budgie smugglers. And my flat cap of course..

John - didn't need the loo at all, body was losing enough fluid as it was.. Did go afterwards though.

AWC - sounds like a really good session mate. hope all is going well at home as well. 

Jools - excited to see how you get on at the weekend, glad the weather is looking good. Any goals?

Macca - looks like we'll be racing on the same day, but most likely in very different conditions! I reckon you're worth an Adidas sponsorship. 

Hard swim and then a cycle to the south coast from London yesterday. Today I had one of my last bike sessions. Really wasn't up for it, legs absolutely knackered and I tried to construct a sob story so my coach would tell me to sack it off. Unfortunately, he told me to get on with it, and I'm really glad he did. I think it's probably the deepest I've ever gone in any run/bike session, ever. Really pleased with the execution, another step closer to the taper. 
  • Options
    MaccatheknaccaMaccatheknacca ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Berlin Marathon - 16th September 2018

• HazelnutCH - 12 week P&D - A goal PB (sub 3:34), B goal sub 3:30
        • Chick - 12 week diy P&D - 3:45ish - the closer to 3:30 I can get, the better
        • dct - 12(ish) week P&D - sub-2:48:52 (PB)

Marathon de Hull - 23rd September 2018

• Muddy - 6 weeks diy - mad fool just wants to survive

Chester Marathon - 7th October 2018

• AlanB - 16 week diy - Goal (A) - Sub 2:35 (B) Sub 2:40

Ironman World Championship (Hawaii) - 13th October 2018

• JB-BR - Goal (A) - Top 15 Age Group (B) Top 25 Age Group (C) Don’t come last.

Autumn 100 - 13th October 2018 Macca as close to 20hrs as possible
      Abingdon Marathon - 21st October 2018

• Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 
        • Jooligan - 8 week diy - Goal (A) sub 3:10 (B) sub 3:15 (c) beat VLM time

Snowdonia Marathon - 27th October 2018

• Jooligan - Oops couldn't resist it! sub 3:30

Frankfurt Marathon - 28th October 2018

• RunSpoonRun - 14 week P&D/NAZ/BAC hybrid - goal 2:40

New York Marathon - 4th November 2018

• 1SteveMac - 18 week P&D - goal PB (sub 3:10) - will revise closer to time.

Valencia Marathon - 2nd December 2018

• JB-BR - No plan or target time. Just enjoy a weekend away after a hard year of racing.

• Options
      I give up trying to format the list properly 😂

Jooligan - I try to get 750-1000 miles per pair.  I think I’m relatively big/heavy and my joints start to feel the road at about that point. I don’t think I could ever get 2k out of them.  To be fair to Adidas, I’ve just sent back a pair that split down the side and they are refunding without quibble.

AWC - with trail shoes I’m finding they fall apart before feeling worn out (very small sample size). It does feel nice to step out of an old pair into new though.

Well done on digging so deep Joe. Those sessions feel better afterwards.  As I’m trudging up and down the Ridgeway in the dark I’ll try not to be thinking of you splashing about in the warm sea off Kona in your budgie smugglers😀
    • Options
      Wow Joe, that sounds like a very painful but rewarding session. Just remember it when the going gets tough in Kona.

I'm going to check out the P&L Book too. No spring marathon for me but trying to get some decent time in a spring half instead. I'm sick of winter training in the wet and cold. I much rather do loads of intervals and tempo stuff in the comfort of the gym. Strangely looking forward to LT runs. Must be going mad :D

Good luck, Jools.

Jealous of your LT pace, AWC.

Ticking over with short, easy running and strength work at the gym. Need to make some race plans soon :)
    • Options

Dct I’m really keen to get some of those Tracksmith split shorts. As a diabetic, it is critical I can carry my own gels in races. My classic Ronhill split shorts cargo are getting a bit old. Time to save up for some more stylish ones. P&L is great – really enjoyed the variety of sessions, and certainly my average pace increased, whilst still running up to 19M long runs.

Nice LTing, AWC. Heck of a pace improvement. I reckon you’ve got a sub 90 min in you. Pick the right course and it’s definitely there for the taking.

Best of luck with the tri, Jooligan. It’s only a half… Interesting to read about your trainer mileage. Like others, I have had a strict 500 replacement point. Perhaps this needs stretching a little. Although as Macca says, the off roaders tend to have the uppers wear out first. I do like to avoid wearing current ‘running’ trainers in day to day use, in order to let the soles recover and rebound a bit. Writing this, I realise what bollocks it sounds.

Haha Macca – for a minute there I was imagining you in shirt and tie, but sweaty running shorts and socks under the desk. You’re getting some great consistent running in at the moment.

Not long until Chester, Alan. Love that race. It used to work (that and the half) so well for me with my parents in law living a ten minute walk away. Brilliant atmosphere – really hope you enjoy it. And the infamous mile 24 hill really isn’t as bad as everyone makes out.

Having seen many of your other sessions, Joe, god only knows what the deepest ever was like! Fantastic work.

Good to hear your itching for more plans, chicksta!

Just about squeezed in a very short recovery yesterday. A rare early evening run for me. Fantastic to do it in the setting sun. The early mornings have been so much cooler than the rest of the days. Getting worried about a repeat of London with the heat!

This morning I did 10M easy, including 10 x 100m strides on the new artificial rugby pitch near me. Absolutely fantastic surface. Obviously mud free and utterly smooth, with a nice bounce. Perfect for doing it in the dark, with only a bit of residual light from cars and relatively distant street lamps. Will definitely be returning. I can find strides on road can leave my calves quite stiff, so it’ll be interesting to see how they react after this.