Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options

Great to see everyone’s goals for the autumn.

Good luck for the new job HA.

Congrats on the ultra NE, sounds tough! Nice of your wife to ensure her break didn’t spoil your race. Hope she’s ok. And indeed hope you’re ok after the ambulance!

Congrats on the forthcoming arrival AWC.

Another great session Joe, you’re really pumping them out at the moment. 

Wouldn’t worry too much about the pace Hazel as long as the effort was right.

Good luck at the half-IM Reg.

Early days HA sure you’ll be back to speed soon enough.

Not sure about the blood test SQ but did you have to fast beforehand? Could that have impacted you?

My plan originally had just one session this week following the 10K, but as I felt good I moved the planned session to Weds and added one in this morning. I don’t have anything longer than 400m reps on the plan now, so thought some 800s might be helpful.

Did 5 in 2:44, 2:45, 2:46, 2:46, 2:50. I was pleased with the first four, but my legs feeling it a bit on that fifth one! Finished off with 4x100m in 16-17s. Happy with that, feels like things have finally started to click this week.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    SQ - I can't imagine 4 vials of blood would've made too much difference but I don't really know. Funny you mention the hills and tempo, I did something similar this morning, a hilly GA with a fast 2-3 mile finish. Felt ok but paces were pretty poor.

Nice track session Spoons. Sometimes you just need to get back into them and remind your body what it's all about.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Congratulations AWC - I forgot that last time sorry.

Good luck for your half IM Reg if you aren't already out there doing it.  Have fun putting the tent up and enjoy the camping with your family.

Nice to hear things are picking up for you spoons.  Good session.

Good luck to any other racers this weekend.

Joe I don't use a HRM - didn't get on with the chest strap ones and haven't (yet) got a wrist one as my old watch still works and doesn't have one.  To work out my paces I wasn't overly scientific but worked off of my goal marathon pace with GA being +15%.  Can't remember where I picked that up (think it was P&D though).  I've done my pace calculations based around my goal marathon time rather than on my latest marathon result as my recent half translates well to the full distance.       

Week one of 12 "almost" done: another 8.7 miles this morning, again at GA minus a few seconds but with a pretty constant pacing which was pleasing.  Already warm at 8am.  I will need to get out early again tomorrow for the 13 miles with 8 at mara pace as I am not doing those in 30 degree heat!
  • Options
    Nice work ticking off week 1 Hazel, great stuff. I always train with HR as I think it's hard to set a goal pace and don't like putting limiters on it; if I know my HR zones then I know I'm training the right system regardless of what the pace is. Sounds like things are going really well so far though.

Nice work in Holkham Reg - how was it?

Another fairly big weekend; 3.8km swim on Saturday morning followed by steady pace 17 mile run.

117 miles on the bike averaging 22mph this morning, which was a bit of a breakthrough session, before running 6 miles straight off the back. Heat got to me though, and I'm still feeling a bit crappy. Nearly time to get the feet up, 2 weeks to go!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Great to get in another session, spoons, things definitely moving in the right direction for you.

My thoughts exactly, HA, it’s not like actually giving blood. Just tired, I guess. Great to see a return to that classic session from you. Won’t be long until an hour of power.

Good consistency already, Hazel. RPE is a good measure, in my opinion.

Blimey, Joe. If you’re not ready now, you’ll never be. Great weekend’s training. Get those electrolytes in. No doubt it’ll be great heat adaptation training.

Quiet weekend for me. Generally feeling very tired. Not a bad time of year for this I suppose, and will keep weekly mileage fairly low for next two weeks before embarking on the 13 week plan.

Saturday saw some parkbuggyrun tourism, taking a trip to Kingsway parkrun. Great for buggies – completely flat and hard surfaces for 99%. Quite a few turns, but there is PB potential there. Yesterday lunchtime I nipped out for 6M with a paltry 3 strides – all I could manage.

2M shakeout this morning, before Frampton 10k tonight. It is renowned as a fast course. But 28C and a reasonable headwind for the latter half will put paid to that. Way off a PB, so 37:30 is my prediction.

• Options
    Oh I’ve been reminding my body regularly HA, but until recently it’s been looking confused and asking who I am ;)
    Superb weekend again Joe. Can’t wait to see how you do after all this hard work.
    Good luck tonight SQ, that’s going to be a scorcher.
    I paid a visit to the physio Friday as I’m having trouble with my lower back again. Feels fine when running, but can feel quite uncomfortable when sitting at certain angles and if I put any force through it. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything too serious, and hopefully get it sorted before marathon training starts.
    Thankfully it seems it’s not a major issue, just tight muscles putting pressure through the back. I suspect the increased volume of speed work might be the cause. He’s given me some exercises to hopefully help matters, it does feel a bit easier today so hopefully they’re starting to work.
    He said I was fine to continue running, and I had a good long run yesterday, 15 miles averaging 6:53/mi despite the heat. Definitely getting back closer to where I was. 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Wow is it that time already to start marathon training!? Hard to believe it’s only 11 weeks to Berlin for Hazel. 

Welcome back HA77, hope you enjoyed it back in the homeland. 

Joe - impressive string of sessions, you’re about as ready as anyone can be to get that Kona spot. 

Congrats and/or good luck to everyone else on the performances/babies/recoveries/training/new job. 

As as most of you may have seen I ran Gold Coast marathon yesterday so here’s a write up whilst it’s fresh. 

Gold Coast Marathon 2018

After going way slower at VLM I had in mind GCM to capitalise on the training. However there was the small obstacle of a 100k trail ultra to get through first. That went well and I came out unscathed but it only left me 6 weeks to race day. So rather than follow a structured plan I decided to focus on getting my speed back by racing every weekend - the weeks leading up were 5k-10k-HM-10k-5k. This did seem to work as I ran maybe my best ever 10k 2 weeks out, the only 
    doubt was whether I had the endurance in my legs. I experimented with a few things as well - less mileage, no excessive carb loading. 

The 6 weeks went about as well as could be expected except for the event selling out a couple of days before I decided to enter... cue some frantic Facebook searching for entries and some crazy prices - I saw some people offering double the cost they were so desperate, whilst there were also reports of scammers offering tickets they never had. Fortunately I managed to find one 2 weeks out and only paid the original cost. Marathon #6 was on!

Extra excitement came when they announced Yuki was coming back along with the last 2 years winners and about 20 Japanese elites looking to qualify for the 2020 marathon trials. And at the expo they had a panel of Aussie legends Steve Monaghetti, Rob de Castella, Michael Shelley and others signing autographs, so managed to get a nice poster memento. 

Race day

Up at 4:30am for breakfast and then couldn’t get back to sleep. The race starts at 7:20 but the HM goes off at 6am! There’s a nice international feel to the race, with plenty of Asian tour groups but not so big that it is packed. Being winter normally it’s a cool start but warms up in the last hour, however today it was overcast and humid, less than ideal conditions but better than VLM. I had a very optimistic target of 2:55 but on the start line revised that to a PB (2:58:50) and at least sub 3, given the likely tougher conditions at the end. 

Managed to line up about 3 rows back from the elites and was over the line in 10 seconds. Straight into 3 hour pace and not much weaving needed as most people seemed to have seeded correctly. Within 3k there were already small packs and kept clicking off the kms. First 5k in 20:58. The course is basically straight and flat down to 15k, a turnaround and back all the way up past the start at 31k, keep going to 36k for another turnaround and 6k back to the finish. It definitely made it easy to get into a rhythm and my 5k splits to 30k were all within 5 seconds of each other.

At 13k we passed the elites coming back up, led by a pack of 3 Kenyans and followed by a gap to about 10 Japanese. I looked for Yuki’s green vest but couldn’t see him, he was about a minute further back solo and already with his trademark grimace so it looked like it was going to be a tough day in the office. Never Boston confirmed you can never write Yuki off!

It felt pretty easy to halfway and even by then a few were slowing down. I crossed over in 1:28:24, just ahead of target but feeling good. Around 25k the effort just ratcheted up a notch but the pace was still there so I didn’t worry, it’s what you expect to happen. Coming back to the start line there is the only noticeable hill in the whole course, it’s more of a rise and just 50m long but it’s tough physically and psychologically by that point. 

Now there weren’t any more packs to work with but I was picking off runners one by one so still felt optimistic. I focused on pushing off using my glutes rather than quads and it seemed to keep up the pace. Around 34km however I was very much looking forward to the turnaround and heading for home. At this point I saw my first km over sub 3 pace and now it was definitely hard to keep it going. I stopped checking my pace and focused on keeping moving. This 5k was 21:39 and now it was a matter of damage limitation. 

I briefly saw Yuki again heading towards the finish, with the same look on his face but he didn’t seem to be any slower. The man is a marathon machine and even when not at his best he is able to run through the pain, it was a real highlight to see him in action. He went on to finish 9th in 2:14:50 and his slowest 5k was actually from 20-25k so he still managed to pick up the pace!

It was grim from 35-40k, I was just hanging on now and was surprised to see I was able to hold sub 4:30/km to 38k. I was losing time but at least not spectacularly and more from fatigue than hitting the wall. I was doing the maths and it was touch and go whether I could still go sub 3. This 5k was 23:02 and as I got to 40k in 2:50 I knew I was going to just miss it. At that point I just wanted to get to the finish and despite the thought crossing my mind at least I didn’t stop to walk. 

Kept going all the way to the line and finished in 3:01:09, my second fastest time and some way off what I wanted but strangely felt very satisfied with how the first 32k had felt. Having gone sub 3 last year took the pressure off and I could have taken the safe option and stuck to the pacers but it was worth experimenting to see what would happen and I feel with a few more marathon specific long runs (and no 100k race) it could have paid off. In the end the humidity also ruined plenty of others, with cramps and exhaustion affecting many throughout the field. So I’d say this was probably my most enjoyable marathon to date, even if I was thinking during the last 5k that there is no way I am doing another one this year!

As of today, that’s still the case although on the drive home I was running through scenarios of what I’d do differently next time... I also just received an email that early bird entries for Melbourne marathon close tomorrow but I do think I need a break. The afterglow of putting yourself through a marathon and surviving is still strong though so I’ll feed off that for a couple more weeks. Back to the faster stuff for now!

• Options
    John - great report mate, thanks for that. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, after all, that's the most important part surely? A great time, very close to PB in what sounds like unideal conditions. Awesome getting to see Yuki race as well.

Spoons - hope the back is a quick fix and doesn't give you any further issues.

Good luck tonight, SQ!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    John: great report and nice that you had a sub-3 so the pressure was off this time. Sounds like you ran pretty well in the conditions and with very limited recovery from the 100km which would have taken a lot out of you.

Spoons: hope the lower back sorts itself out

SQ: good luck in the 10km tonight - 28 degrees in the evening - sish!

Joe: fantastic 117 miler and 6mi run! Take care of yourself and feel strong for race day as you deserve such an amazing result for your incredible dedication and consistency.

Hazel: hope the 13 with 8@MP went well. The first one is always tricky

Club training for me in the heat tonight - Oregon circuits session which should be great fun!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Hope the back is ok soon, Spoons. Speed work does seem to be the danger, despite the lower mileage. 

Great effort and super report,  John. You haven’t lucked out with the weather for races but have still had a very solid season of results. From 5k right through to 100! 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Race To The King 2018

This year was a much more relaxed build up as I’d done the race before plus I was training through it with my 100 miler in August as my A race.

I enjoyed the first half much more this year because a) I knew I could finish the distance and b) this was about training and time on my feet. Had lots of chats with various runners, some first timers and some seasoned ultra-runners.

Halfway came and went in a flash unlike last year where I really had a dark patch before halfway.

I met my family at mile 30 which was lovely and a nice little boost before heading up one of the biggest hills on the course.

Going up Butser hill I could really feel my legs getting sore as a result of racing and doing long runs in the weeks before this race.

I struggled then for a bit in the next few miles and had to walk a few sections because my legs felt so fatigued and painful running downhill. This meant I was slowing down a bit but I also really began to doubt my sanity in signing up for a 100 miler. These thoughts got a lot worse up to the 50 mile mark which is the top of the last climb, but then with Winchester in sight I managed 4x9.5min miles down into the finish in Winchester and overtook pretty much everyone who’d gone past me in the last 10 miles.

Great finish as always running through the streets of the Old Town and finishing on the steps of the Cathedral – it’s got to be one of the best finish lines in the world.

I finished in 10hr 39min, race distance was 54.5mi and I was 18mins quicker than last year which was surprising given I hadn’t tapered properly for this and it was much hotter. I was 61st out of 750 which was also a pleasing.

The only downside to the day was the negative thoughts about the 100 miler – but looking back, of course this race felt hard because of the build up I had. I actually designed it to be hard to get a training boost from it but my mind wasn’t having that as I was dragging myself up those last few hills!!!

Anyway perspective is a great thing and I’m off to Kent to stay in a B&B on Friday and recce the night section of the NDW100. Plan is 15 miles on Friday afternoon and a 30 miler really early on Saturday morning.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done John & AWC. No way I'd've coped in the heat. 
    Cotswold Way Relay on Saturday. 4 teams to manage + running Leg 5 for me: 11.9M with 1000ft of climb & 1500ft of descent. My leg started at 11:45 & it was a scorcher. By 5K I knew I was going to struggle as legs gave up on the ascents so was forced to walk. Got round in 1:40:29 for 37th place but that's probably 10 minutes or more off where I ought to have been. Not that it made much difference since we were 13 minutes away from medalling. Just 3 legs left for me before I'm a KotC.
    Have a good one SQ.
  • Options
    Berlin Marathon - 16th September 2018
    • HazelnutCH - 12 week P&D - A goal PB (sub 3:34), B goal sub 3:30
    Marathon de Hull - 23rd September 2018
    • muddyfunster - Plan: some long runs through August - goal: living to fight another day
    Abingdon Marathon - 21st October 2018
    • Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 (need to actually get a race place)
    • Jooligan - no training schedule & no target (as yet)
    Snowdonia Marathon - 27th October 2018
    • Sorequads - P&D/BAC - goal sub 3, depending on Abingdon

Frankfurt Marathon - 28th October 2018

• RunSpoonRun - 14 week P&D/NAZ/BAC hybrid - goal 2:40
    New York Marathon - 4th November 2018
    • 1SteveMac - 18 week P&D - goal PB (sub 3:10) - will revise closer to time.
    Valencia Marathon - 2nd December 2018
    • JB-BR - No plan or target time. Just enjoy a weekend away after a hard year of racing.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello, again. Just throwing my hat in the autumn ring, so to speak.

I ran a 10k yesterday in all that heat, on an up and down course. 37:52 didn't compare too well with the last one I did which was 35.58 in mid-May on a hot day too. My excuses are: 1/ I had to stop to tie a shoelace 2/ it was hillier 3/ it was longer and 4/ I cruised round parkrun the day before at a slightly harder effort than I wanted to put out with the heat (18.17) and compounded my folly by getting out for a run in the afternoon too. However it was faster than last year on the same course for the same effort, so yay!

A hilly trail half marathon next weekend buffered by a reasonable warm up and cool down should start putting me in range of some marathon scale training. God help me.

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reports John, AWC and Jools.    

Thanks for your feedback regarding HR training Joe.  Great training weekend.  I am looking forward to your race ;)

Probably too late to wish SQ good luck for the 10k this evening - those conditions sound tough.  Hmm - I predict 37:29.   :p   I hope your knee is healing well.  

Sorry to hear about your back spoons but if you can still run okay that is something.  Nice long run in the heat.

My 13 with 8 went ok on Sunday, was out again before 8am but it was warming up already.  I tend to find the solo mara pace runs the hardest in training but I dealt with the not so far 8 miles well with only a couple of very brief pauses for a wallow in a water trough to cool down, pick up my doorkey I had dropped (good thing I noticed) and a minor slow down to reset my breathing as I was overheating a bit.  Week one done and feel ready for more.  
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the MP Hazel. 

Good to to hear from you muddy. Flying under the radar but rapid as ever. 

Cotswolds Hills would have been tough in midday heat, Jooligan. Dare I say it, but would a rest be welcome? Still half expecting you to turn up tonight. 

Hreat report AWC. I think the walking will be genuinely beneficial for the 100M. Looking forward to seeing how you go. The 15/30 wih minimal rest won’t be far off the 50 in terms of effort. You’ll certainly be well prepared. 

Arrived in Frampton early as it wasn’t worth going home first. Finish line and the pub are essentially one and the same thing. And worryingly I’m tempted by a pre race beer. 
  • Options

Good to hear the knee is fine SQ

An eventful weekend last week for you and the wife NE

You've been posting some amazing sessions Joe, time for cotton wool now

May not have been a PB John, but they can't all be. Solid run and I'm sure you'll have learnt alot from it

Assuming the legs are feeling good then AWC if you're straight back into back to back long runs

Well I've been a bit absent from here over the last week or so. Last Wednesday I ran a 1500m at Watford, managed 4:14.7 and PB is 4:14.03 so not far off. Coach seemed happy, although I was disappointed as it felt s*** from early doors.

Since then had a session on Thursday and Saturday. 45mins at 6:40 pace on Sunday and a solo session this morning on the track of 800m (90s), 500m (60s), 300m, (15min), 5 x 200m (45s). Times were: 2.17.4, 1.23.8, 47.5, 29.4/29.6/29.5/31.6/29.4

• Options
    AWC - great report, well done. Don't read too much into it and get worried for the 100 miler. Like you said, this wasn't a target race and completely untapered. It'll be such a different story on race day. Enjoy the recce weekend, that'll definitely boost confidence levels. 

Great going in that heat and with that climbing Jools. What's a KotC?

Good to see you back here Muddy. Marathon de Hull; love it.  :D

Hazel - great first week ticked off, nice one. 

Scott - so close to a PB mate, that's great news, especially considering you were feeling off. Plenty more to come I'm sure. 

Taper hasn't started for real yet, still a bit of work to be done this week including 4 hours on the bike Saturday. 

14x800 at the track this morning, but dialled back the effort level, averaging 2:57 off a minute recovery. Felt really good and stepped off with plenty left in the tank. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Scott: very close to your PB and I'm sure a few months injury free training will see you smash it! Backed up with some nice sessions there as well.

Hazel: good first week and MP run. I always find the first couple of weeks a bit sluggish before your legs can click into your pace a bit more so well done!

Muddy: good to see you back

Joe: 14x800 - crazy you can have plenty left in the tank after that.

Oregon circuits at club training last night. Good session to do in the heat as its a S&C exercise followed by a 400m run with 10 exercise/runs in total. Plus we found a shaded area for the S&C which was great.

Legs felt pretty good so hopefully recovery will continue well this week before the big back to back this weekend.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Great session, Scott. So fast!

King of the Cotswolds is if you have done all 10 legs (over the years) of the Cotswold Way Relay. And another excellent session for you, Joe. Brilliant that you had some left in the tank after 14 x 800 at that speed. What is the swim/wetsuit situation looking like and would it bother you either way?

Frampton 10k for me last night. A potentially fast course, albeit with 40m or so of climbing, and a strong field. It is a brilliant one for supporters as the start and finish are on a massive village green with a pub, playground etc, so a brilliant atmosphere all round. It goes without saying it was ludicrously hot for 7.30 pm (29C), and the wind wasn't favourable. So I was never going to trouble a 36:10 PB, but gave it a lash with the first mile at PB pace (5:48). Sadly that was the last sub 6 I saw. Struggled to truly motivated myself, but did enjoy running in a group until 8k. I need to toughen up a bit as I let the pack pull away towards the end. 37:47 for 11/500 is a fair result and it was a good chance to catch up with mates as well. 

Got a punchy few days planned with last night's race, track session with spoons tomorrow and then squeezing in the annual run commute on Thursday morning. Front-loading the week prior to birthday celebrations, bbqs and (the absolute highlight) a trip to Peppa Pig World...
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Also - had stitches removed from my knee today. Got told I could start running again from tomorrow - whoops.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    In fine fettle then Joe - hope your 4 hrs on the bike is going to be somewhat slower than 22mph & as SQ said KotC = King of the Cotswolds - all 10 stages raced (7 in 7 years for me so far)
    SQ - good result. Obviously the racing didn't do any harm to the healing process.
    Whoosh Scott - no wonder you felt shit at that pace. PB season for sure.

5K at lunch for me with 1M wu into 300/100 recovery/400 then a couple of minutes recovery before 6x 300 hard/100 walk before a jog to cool down. Efforts were all in the 5:05-5:35 pace range according to Garmin or between 57-60s for 300m & 80s for the 400m.
    Wobbly legs walking up the stairs afterwards!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: great placing given the heat and how you were feeling before the race

Jools: nice session that must make a note of it. I've been thinking about what kind of short, fast sessions I can do when the baby arrives because my running will be limited to lunchtimes so something like that is ideal.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Scott - Great racing and not far off your PB.
    John - Brilliant time so soon after the 100k
    AWC - Great report and time
    Joe - Those sessions sound insane!!
    SQ - Nice racing!

No running from me since my 8 miles on Thursday, as had a bit of an issue! Neck pain went, only to be replaced by a pain around my ribs on the left hand side around 7pm, eventually go so bad the GF decided we needed to NHS Direct, they sent an ambulance and checked my heart etc. I fainted (I think due to overheating), they worried! There was an abnormal reading on the heart scan, hospital advised them to bring me to A&E asap, flashing lights and everything.

Chest xray, blood tests and another heart scan (ECG) all planned. Xray was all clear, ECG still had adnormal reading, but they think it's because I'm an ultra runner and my heart is more muscular than a sedentary persons, hence the abnormal might be normal for me. Blood tests come back fine too, so discharged early Friday morning and back home at 2am, having been up at 4:45am the previous morning to run!

Still not sure what caused the pain around my ribs, but it had gone by the time I got to hospital. I need to have a follow up scan, which will determine if the abnormal reading is my normal. I'm allowed to run, but need to take it easy. However decided to have a week off, but I'll do a couple of miles tomorrow and maybe Parkrun the weekend to ease back in, but definately haven't started my P&D 18 week marathon plan this week.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Gosh Steve, that is very scary. Look after yourself and definitely make sure it gets fully checked out. Sadly you hear of too many young runner heart scare stories. No doubt all will be ok, but certainly worth a full exercise test check.

Nice session Jooligan.

AWC I can only imagine the squeezing in of sessions when a second comes along. Productivity a must!

Great and final grass track sessions with spoons this morning. Very fatigued from racing only 36 hours ago, but didn't want to miss out. 8 x 400 between 79 and 82, so not the fastest, but another track session done. Looking forward to the holidays, but a shame that will be the end of teaming up for these. I usually tend to come through in the second half of the session, but there was a definite downward trend this morning. But all good training.
  • Options
    Excellent 10k SQ - if mine had been a bit shorter I reckon we'd have tied on time.

I've had a read back and must commend John for his Gold Coast run and report, casually running 26.2 miles for 3 hours like it's nothing. Also AWC for 50 plus miles in the heat - incredible. And also incredible to reach mile 30 in the fourth paragraph of a report :smile:

Also wishing Joe luck in his taper which doesn't seem much like my kind of taper if it includes 14x800m ;)

Steve, that's a worry, enjoy the rest and hope you can get a diagnosis.
  • Options
    Nice running in the 10k SQ - sounds like an ideal set-up with the pub as well! Glad the stitches are out now; the less they know, the better ;) Good luck with the commute tomorrow (and peppa pig world!). And have a great birthday; what day is it?

Blimey Steve, glad you're ok. Make sure you get the proper checks done; I think you're definitely right taking it easy for a few days. 

Muddy - 14 @ a slightly dialled back pace felt ridiculously comfortable after you do 20 at a not quite so chilled pace! I think a lot of the big sessions I've done will really help with the mental game on the day; getting through them has definitely made me more resilient. 

4km in the lido this morning. Loving the warm weather at the moment. The football was good fun last night as well.. 
  • Options

Yes getting consistent training is the key for me AWC, after so long on the subs bench. Pleased to hear the recovery is going well

Solid 10km in the heat SQ and sounds like an action filled weekend you've got  :)

Blimey Steve, hopefully nothing serious

Football sure was fun last night Joe, bring on Saturday! 

Rest day yesterday, all ready for a session tonight

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Steve: very sensible to take it easy and get things properly checked out. I had a similar scare when a routine health check threw up a few abnormalities with my heart - left ventricular hypertrophy being the main one.

Anyone training 30+miles a week is going to have a bigger heart than they started with which leads to a lot of false positive heart readings in screening tests. My cardiologist told me my heart was perfectly healthy and the tests they use can give people with unhealthy hearts and endurance conditioned hearts the same readings so fingers crossed that's all it is for you.

It was scary for me at the time but reassuring afterwards and when I have an ECG now I take my cardiologists letter otherwise they try and restart the investigative process all over again.

I can only imagine the readings Spoons or Joe would get in one of these tests the mileage they're doing!!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Thanks all - the cardiac team at the hospital didn't seem concerned, but need to do the other scan just to be sure nothing is amiss. Next scan should be in the next few weeks I think.

AWC - Comforting to know! Yes, they wouldn't know what to do with Spoons and Joe, they were shocked when I told them I ran 50+ miles a week when in peak training, and I know Spoons does double that.