P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That's a proper report SQ & you should be rightfully pleased with the PB as you did everything right. I thought you looked particularly lean after chatting at the start. 
    I on the other hand got pretty much what I deserved. 9 weeks with 2x 20M & a ridiculously tough Half Iron Man 3 weeks out is not the way to get a PB. Even more foolish is driving for over 2.5hrs, falling off the wagon (after 7 weeks), dancing the night away & consequently having probably 2 hours kip just 2 days before a key race! I then drove another 3 hrs, did a parkrun (20:16 :p Oops!) & went out til 11:30 on the Saturday though I did steer clear of the booze.
    Sunday: 6am start for another 90 minute drive to Abo
    Breakfast en route: 3 bananas, a Hike bar & a jam wrap washed down with coffee then freshly squeezed beetroot, apple, lime & ginger
    Arrived & got myself ready then headed over to the track. After locating a free toilet & applying the Vaseline I did some dynamic stretching chatting to Laura, a friend who was running it as a training run for NYC, & SQ. I'd decided that my textbook preparation meant I should give 2:59:xx a shot :D:p & I shared my target with them both. I fully expected a fade but figured I'd regret not giving it a go in the conditions: ie cool, misty & still.
    After a few GI issues in the build up to VLM a 2nd visit to the toilet with 15 minutes to go did little to settle my nerves however I lined up at the start having jogged no more than 200yds. I spotted SJ from Sub3 & we decided to stick together. He'd had a perfect build-up but was sensibly ignoring the temptation to be greedy. We set off & crossed the line 17s after the start so spent the first 800m (3:31 pace) overtaking people though I tried not to waste too much energy by weaving. After the slow start I found some clear road & pushed on at 6:46 on a slight rise dropping SJ in the process. After 2M I teamed up with Ollie who was also aiming for his first sub 3. He'd dropped off a group ahead a their pace picked up & we chatted away for the next 10K happily ticking the miles off til SJ & StevieW joined us.

They'd been using me as a target for the last 8 miles. We went through half way in 1:29:03. I was reasonably comfortable though aware that maintaining the pace was beginning to require a bit of mental effort so I figured my 3rd injection of fuel would be a Caffeine Bullet sweet. I find unwrapping these on the go a bit of a faff & so became detached from our quartet. The gap was only 10-20m but I couldn't quite bridge across without putting in a spurt I felt I'd regret later. This was the beginning of the end: I was disheartened by losing them & doubts began creeping in. The gap stayed more or less constant til the rise around 16M. First time round with Ollie this had seemed easy & we'd gained several places but now, with the legs feeling lifeless, I could see them pulling away as my pace dropped off & I was being overtaken by runners I recognised from Lap 1. I had to keep reminding myself that I could still get a 3:05 or better so long as I kept below 7:30 pace. This motivated me to maintain the effort & although it slipped further by then I needed to average sub 8 for GFA. I had my final gel & a 2nd Caffeine Bullet at 2hrs then 3 jelly babies at 19.4M. Together with about 200ml of Lucozade that was it nutrition wise. I drank a mouthful at most water stations but I don't think that was enough as I was incredibly thirsty on the drive to Exeter afterwards & looking at the photos I was drenched in sweat by half way. I struggled on just trying to keep the Garmin reading 7:xx which I managed apart from mile 25 & the underpass with its killer ramp. The final 300m on the track I managed to wind the pace back up & even overtook a couple of people.

Once I crossed the line though I dropped to all fours spent & nauseous. This photo shows how much I was loving it by then :D

Caught up with SJ (2:58:38), Ollie (3:01:xx) & SQ afterwards. SJ also informed me StevieW had pushed on from about mile 19 for a 2:55:xx 
    Splits from the Garmin
    To half way with group: 6:54/6:40/6:46/6:50/6:49/6:44/6:45/6:46/6:45/6:50/6:43/6:50/6:43
    Solo: 6:56/6:53/7:06/7:10/7:15/7:23/7:33/7:51/7:49/7:59/7:54/8:16/8:01
    final 400m 7:04 
  • Thank you, Steve

Super effort, Jooligan. The caffeine bullet must have a hell of a wrapper  ;) Really good to see you there, and I reckon that is a hell of a result so soon after the Tri X Half. What will you target at London? 
  • Thanks for the reports SQ and Jools.

SQ - I know that feeling well, you run a great race but part of you is wishing for more, I guess that’s what keeps driving us on.  I think we’ve agreed before it’s as much about the journey (cliche) as the result so you should be proud of both. As to where those gains are, I’m not qualified to answer but being a one trick pony (P&D) I wonder if you did many blocks at MP ? There was the half at MP iirc but I find it too easy to do them in a race situation, for me, if I can dig them out on my own in a training run then I know I’m there or thereabouts.  The only other thought is nutrition, particularly carb loading ?

Jools - to get that time after those last few days and tri-x and a “relaxed” summer is phenomenal imho. It says to me that if you get yourself back into last springs shape and the weather gods play ball you’ll smash sub 3.

Turning to spring, I’ve got my London mag but I’m toying with the idea of Manchester early April as an A race to insure against a repeat heatwave and so I can start proper trading earlier.
  • Bad luck on the short course Muddy, must be frustrating. But great the pace was faster over previous years, especially as it was part of a longer run.

Great report SQ and congrats again on the PB. Lovely of your family to surprise you like that. I completely empathise with the feeling of being pleased with the PB, but disappointed it wasn’t quite what you wanted and hoped for. But enjoy the achievement, that’s a big chunk off your PB.

You were only 1 second per mile short, and I reckon having a group to work with for longer would easily have made up that difference. The only suggestion training wise I can think of might be making your long runs a bit more challenging at times? I did runs like 10 x 1 mile @ MP, 1 mile @ MP+60s, and 4@LT, 10 steady, 4@LT which I think helped me with maintaining pace at the end of the marathon.

Top work Jooligan too. An impressive time given the short build-up, and not exactly textbook pre-marathon preparation (although textbook for you, I suppose :D). Great that you’ve secured GFA again.

Manchester is a good race Macca, about as flat as you can get and it certainly got the better weather this year! Talking of weather, I know this makes me a terrible person but I looked at the forecast for Frankfurt yesterday and was a tiny bit pleased to see it’s meant to be wet and a bit breezy on Sunday...  >:)

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Cheers guys. Realise I forgot to put the finish time on my report :D 3:08:12
    Looks like things are progressing well for you Spoons from what I've seen on Strava & your posts here. Hopefully you'll find the speed comes back in time for Telford.
    The Bullets are like chewits & absorb moisture so they stick to the wrappers which then come off in bits :s It requires both hands to be occupied for probably 30s which means the pace drops. They then stick around in the mouth which I reckon means they're being absorbed more slowly? They were a free trial I got offered a while back. Took some at TriX in the summer where pace wasn't so crucial though I had the same issues. As I only had 3 gels I figured I'd try them at Abo but I wouldn't recommend them - didn't even notice the much vaunted caffeine buzz: meant to have as much as a double espresso. I'll go back to using multi-pack Marathons for the first half of Snowdonia as I did during the 20M in March. Plenty of High5 gels being handed out later.
    Didn't get in to VLM for 2019 SQ as my GFA times were outside the qualifying period. I entered Brighton last night running for MIND. It's my PB course & I prefer the event as a race tbh. Less hassle with travel to registration/start/back after the finish. Far less crowded at water/feed stations if you're running around 3 hr pace but with enough others to work with/off.
    10K recovery run round my local parkrun twice enjoying the autumnal sunshine through the beech & sweet chestnut trees. Legs OK but should probably have stuck to 5M as I feel a bit tired from the effort now.
  • Congratulations on the pb, SQ and brave to ask for training suggestions. You can probably guess where I would be coming from and that is 'less is more'. It's a bit more nuanced than that however so I may have to come back to you post - tea break.

Well done also Jooligan. Faint heart never won a fast marathon, or something. That's a stupendous amount of gastro intestinal irritants pre-race ! And then some caffeine bullets on top. That's true GI fortitude.
  • Great '5k' muddy - shame it was a bit short so you can't claim your PB.

Congratulations to SQ and Jools for the Abo results. Nice you met for a pre race chat.

SQ:  That is an impressive training record to read.  Well done on your PB - definitely enjoy it even if you didn't go sub 2:50.  You could have lost those 30 seconds anywhere - that is so close.  Did you not drink anything other than the gels the whole race?  Lovely that your family did a surprise visit - who got the Mars bar in the goodie bag?  You or your daughter?

Jools interesting few days leading up to the marathon.   Well done on the GFA time.  Could you maybe repackage the bullet sweets before the race if they are difficult to get into, by your description I guess not?  The way you describe it Brighton sounds like a good alternative to London.

Naughty re. Frankfurt and the weather Spoons. :p   I didn't enjoy the couple of miles at the end through the tall buildings last year as it was breezy then too and in a knackered state the fairly strong cross-gusts were tough to deal with.
  • I had unwrapped them beforehand & then rewrapped them loosely but they become softer & stickier as the race goes on due to heat/sweat so were not noticeably easier Hazel. They were an experiment & not one worth repeating. Well done on your recent race btw
  • Spoons: lol re weather check. Naughty >:) but we all know you made the right decision.

Jools: Love the pics and the build-up. At least you had fun. Wish I could knock out a casual 3:08 on a build-up like that.

SQ: tantalisingly close. Let it sink in and be proud of a solid campaign and a PB :+1: . For what it's worth I've usually performed better on a 12 week plan. I'm miles out of your league but one of the key ingredients in marathon training is long aerobic runs. Those BAC sessions and their challenging nature seem to me not so marathon specific. Just my 2 ps worth. Feel free to ignore ;)

Well raced, Hazel. Sounds like a really tough event!

Amazing speed, muddy. To bad it was just not quite 5k :(

Weather has turned wild here on the coast. Love the crashing waves though and couldn't resist a 7.5 mile run along the sea front in brilliant sunshine. The bit against the wind was tough!
  • I'm doing a 10k in Leeds Hazel, good time on that tough 10km/10.6km course!

The endurance will always come back quicker than the speed Spoons, it'll come with time  :)

Good bike/run combo Steve

I think you're being too harsh on yourself SQ, over a minute PB is still big and I'm sure that next time you'll go sub 2:50

Sounds like the perfect race prep for you Jooligan ;), even though you dropped off in the second half that's a very strong result still

Chicksta - weather certainly has been lovely the lst few days, a sea front run sounds great

Legs feeling a little better this week, Mondays + Wednesdays 45min steady runs were backed up with a tough 10km specific session last night, 10 x 3min reps on grass. Averaged a tad over 5min miling

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools and SQ.

SQ - London is more than 26s faster than Abingdon so you'll be fine. Firmly with Muddy too. We can only really guess from what you write but to me it seemed like you were still doing needlessly hard sessions when there were already signs of over training. Quite similar to me a year ago. I feel quite differently about those big sessions nowadays. Learned the hard way I suppose.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry SQ. Just re-read that last post and it comes across a bit harsh. You trained so well leading up to abingdon and did so much right. I really think if it goes well in London you'll be well under 2.50. Still, a 1 min pb is awesome.
  • Some top running by people - great times and everyone seems disappointed.

SQ - 2:50 has to be a great time, only have a minute from sub 2:50.

Jools seems to be racing every week - must cost you a fortune. (great time still) and love your last photo. You do seem to have some great photos in your races. - I'm in for Brighton as well as my GFA has now fallen outside their limits

Macca, thanks for the info on Ultras, I used to think most people actually ran them the same as marathons. But I've been educated now by others as well.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've raced 38 times (+ 40 parkruns) so far in 2018 & I've another 8 races on the calendar for this year but that number may well increase so I do spend a fair bit on racing & more on travel it's true FBT. XC/track meets are paid for by the club & fell races are £5-10. My most expensive races are triathlons but they encourage me to cycle to work saving fuel money in the process B)  
    In 2018 my 43 running races will cost me £330 the same as my 3 triathlons!
  • Jools £330 is pretty cheap. I ran most of my marathons overseas so cost quite a bit, inc travel. Great experiences though, and I would not have gone to great places like Jerusalem and many major cities round Europe otherwise.

but 46 races and 50 park runs in a year, I would be F**cked

• Thank you all for the feedback. As I said, I really value it and love the variety.

Macca I did 2 x 20 milers with the second halves at MP, and then also the 23 with the last 13 at MP. But as you say, it is so much easier in a race than solo. The solo MP did work out pretty well though. The BAC sessions also include a fair bit at MP. In terms of carb loading, I have shied away from this in recent years as it has proven to be so hard to keep blood sugar levels in check when doing so. But it is probably worth revisiting this, even if it is to have a bit more carbs, not necessarily loads.

Spoons I agree, 1s/M is nothing really. And you being so close to 2:45 was more meaningful – there is actually something tangible to that goal! I do like the sound of those long run sessions and will try to incorporate them in during spring training. That said, I need to be more confident at missing out sessions, as muddy and HA allude to. I should definitely have sacked off the ‘open topped sandwich’ so soon after the huge BAC session. Look forward to further thoughts from muddy. And HA, I really appreciate some nice brutal honesty!

Hazel, the 4 gels had a reasonable amount of water in them, but no, didn’t drink other than that. Wasn’t at all thirsty, so stayed clear of the water. The Mars Bar was shared!

There is a lot of MP in the BAC sessions, chicksta, but they do detract from having a purely aerobic MLR in the week.

Really hope you enjoy Snowdonia, Jooligan. 6 days is such a quick turnaround – but if anyone can recover in time, it is definitely you. Haha – great spending stats from you. Also fantastic your club pay for XC and track. Possibly why your club has such good turn out at these compared to mine?

Legs feeling ok. Have done gentle spinning and cross -trainer. Fatigued but no longer stiff. Might try an easy run tomorrow. Belly definitely tending up, up, up and out, out, out. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Jools - Awesome racing stats. I really like your style.

SQ - I think you did everything you need in your training, just a bit too much of it, especially at the end. Those BAC sessions are long and hard and for non-elites like us I think you can't do them every week as well as other sessions and long runs. I think you'll come out of this block much stronger and faster. You're probably closer to a 2:45 marathoner than a 2:50 one, you just haven't run the time yet. Not sure it'd make much difference but I think you've not done much faster VO2 stuff. I feel like the short 20ish min fartleks with MPish recovery have really helped me and, while they're hard during, they don't take too much out of you.

Holidaying in the Lakes at the mo. Tough run from our cottage up some of the northern fells today. Going up was fine but got lost trying to feel my way back through fields and along footpaths. Seems a pretty regular thing for me. Really should've taken a map.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - dont beat yourself up, none of us are robots, you still had a good day. The last hour was pretty warm too. Those BAC sessions have produced a lot of good times/performances for lots of South Coast athletes in the last few years (some have seen big improvement gains), so they are a good thing. (Ive only ever managed 5 or 6 in totall in a campaign before),  but thecBAC folls do them as a weekly tuesday session. i think they are intended to be the only session in the week. Possibly a bit late to run that last one so late (as a last long run?) though. Adding in extra sessions, or fast long runs would probably clash with the BAC stuff though, although i dont read this thread often enough to track exactly what you did.

Not sure how many on here do actually follow P and D, but i will point out that Steve Way and Stu Leaney (sub 3 threaders)  have both run sub 2.30 following it to the letter. But i will add that ive never followed a schedule and just fit what i can around my life, and have a casio sundial to record any training times.
  • Just been looking back at my previous Snowdonia Marathons on Strava & spotted SQ on my 2015 race. Checked out Flyby & apparently you were right behind me for the first 8 miles then overtook as we rejoined the main road before pulling away. 
  • Morning team.

Dropping in to say congrats to SQ and Jools on their marathon performances last weekend.

SQ - fantastic run mate, you should be really happy with that. Nice to see the hard work pay off. As others have alluded to, you’d have that extra 1s/mile on a fast city route like London, and also more free time by having the benefit of running in a group. It’s a matter of progression as well, just building the engine year after year.

Jools - sounds like a tough battle in the latter stages, but it sounds like you already know why the race might not have gone as planned. Still a great time and performance. Good luck for Snowdonia this weekend.

Hazel - sounds like the fitness is still there post Berlin. Great stuff.

HA - love a good run-explore whilst away. Hope you’ve recovered well from Leicester.

So we’re finally back from our North American jaunt. Had an amazing time, lots of adventure and eating/drinking. I’ve been fairly absent in here so apologies for that but should be back in far more regularly now.

Not had much time for recovery with all the hiking we’ve been doing but starting to get the urge to train again soon.

We’ve got a big running club wedding in Dorset this weekend, so Blandford Forum parkrun tomorrow followed by the Stickler 10 mile on Sunday where most of us plan to be horrifically hungover. Should be great fun. Good luck anyone else racing this weekend.

• Good luck for Snowdonia Jools.  Hope the weather isn't too grim.  Great value for money for your races.  I should try to work out what I have paid without travel and hotels - might be a bit scary.  I've done 13 races so far this year (must do another - can't end the year on 13..)

Enjoy your holidays HA.

Good to see you back Joe.

Good luck to all racing otherwise at the weekend.
  • Car broke down en route but got to my chosen parking spot & managed a cosy night in Passat Palace. Stopped me being really foolish & attempting the parkrun/marathon double that I managed last year!
    Legs felt OK & I went off pretty fast then slowed up the first big hill to keep the HR in check. Down the other side at speed. Once onto the stony track I hit my left leg heavily as the sun/sweaty shades combo meant I misjudged the ground - felt a sharp pain in my quad but that passed as I hurtled down to Mile 7. Ate a Mars bar & grabbed some water around here then carried on at around 7 m/M feeling OK. At 10 the pain in my quad came back but it went away as I relaxed ever so slightly, though HR says I was working too hard. Went through half way in 1:35. The next section is a 2 mile climb where I pulled my hamstring last year so I deliberately kept the effort low as I could feel it was very tight again. Over that & its an undulating descent for the next 6 miles which I ran although pace was pretty poor really. Just before 22 miles the killer climb rears its ugly face & I crumbled to a walk/jog. By the top I was really cold & feeling sick & could only jog along the uneven ground before picking the pace up slightly on the steep descent. My good left hamstring started cramping on the steep tarmac so couldn't even push off properly with either leg as the landing was just as bad. Finished 256th in 3:42:51. Beautiful day for it & I'll be back next year hopefully but won't try to do Abo 3 weeks before.
  • Welcome back JB, good luck with the 10 miler and the hangover.

Sounds like a great break HA, shame the lakes is so far away.

SQ - I think we are all agreed you’ll smash it next time out😀

Jools - as said on Strava, 6 days after Abo is immense.  I can’t think there were too many others in the field doing the same thing. Enjoyed the report and it makes me want to do it one day.

Park run pb for me yesterday. I couldn’t let it pass without a few words😀.  Only a 6m warm up but I was running late so the last 2 miles were a bit too quick.  I started on the 2nd row and settled into about 5th place.  When dry, this is a fast course, pretty flat, no overtaking of traffic and only a couple of short grass sections where grip can be an issue for road shoes.  Settled into 6min miling for PB ish pace.  The 2nd mile pace dropped to 6:15 and one guy overtook. Not sure if it was the grass or lack of concentration but I noticed 4th and 5th seemed to be coming back to me so just focused on them thinking a PB had slipped away. I went past 4th and 5th, trying to breathe normally for that psychological advantage, and just settled
    for trying to hold place.  The last 1/2 mile is along an old airplane taxiway so a great finish but it does feel like you are running to the horizon. The guy behind drove me to my fastest split for the last mile 5:55ish but I just managed to hold him off for a 10s PB of 18:30.  I reckon I’ve lost about a stone in weight over the last month or so which I credit mainly for the increased speed.  I’ve  just got to keep it off over xmas but I’m already looking forward to getting back into a P&D plan.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools - great running after Abo on a really tough course. 

Macca: amazing PB so soon after the A100. The weight definitely makes a difference - I lost a stone before the NDW100 and it made a big difference. You are in fantastic shape to be starting PD post Christmas. You’ve got incredible endurance and the speed to go with it. 
  • I was really lucky when I did Frankfurt in 2016 Hazel, it was still and cool. Bit breezy yesterday I think, although nothing on the conditions for the Venice marathon where the course was flooded. Although the winner still managed a 2.13 despite the wading lol.

Sounds like a bracing run along the coast chicksta.

Nice session Scott

£330 is pretty good for 43 races Jooligan. Although fuel must add up too! Great work at Snowdonia soon soon after Abo.

Welcome back Joe, your photos of Hawaii on Instagram were incredible, what an amazing place.

Congrats on the PB Macca, great work. 

Things seemed to be going well for me, but then on Wednesday evening I managed to clobber my foot and badly hurt my fourth toe. I headed out for my run as usual on Thursday, but stopped after a few hundred meters as the toe was feeling very sore and uncomfortable. I skipped Friday’s run, and it felt ok enough to try out on Saturday but all motivation had left me by that point and I couldn’t be bothered to head out on a cold, damp day.

Went out yesterday though, and although it’s a little sore it was way better than Thursday so I think it’s just bruised rather than broken. Just did 10 miles which felt like harder work than it has done recently. Bit depressing given I should have been running Frankfurt, but what can you do. At least it was a nice sunny morning.

• Macca - Superb PB after your 100 miler!
    Jools - Incredible effort after Abingdon!!

90 minutes on the bike, then out the door for a cold 6 miler! Felt fine, but need more miles to get the fitness back. Balancing act of not doing too much too soon though!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Here's the link if you want to watch Snowdonia Marathon coverage. It's in Welsh but they have got subtitles this year http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/799140812 You can see me on the start line about 3 rows back if you look carefully :D Far better views of the amazing scenery - it has to have been the best day for visibility & views in the 4 years I've raced it.
    Rest day yesterday seems to have recharged the batteries OK as I cycled over 35M today managing a minute PR on a 3M 4% uphill segment towards the latter part of the commute!
    Think the legs will have benefited from another day without running though: biking is much lower impact.
  • Jools - always sounds like a tough one whenever I hear about it! Sounds like a nasty fall, hope you're ok. Great effort as always. How do I get the english subtitles? Can't work it out.

Macca - Loved seeing that PB on strava, and much deserved after putting in a solid block of training. Can't wait to see how you go in the marathon.

Spoons - always horrible to watch a race you're meant to be doing from afar, but at least you're back running and before you know it another A race will be around the corner. 

After 2 weeks of minimal training, a running club weekend with a wedding thrown in for good measure certainly was a bit of a baptism of fire.

18:19 at Blandford parkrun for 3rd on Saturday (the groom won), which felt comfortably hard but not an all out effort for sure. Bit colder than Hawaii!

Then we had the wedding Saturday night, before all stumbling over to the Stickler 10 miler the following morning. I was definitely a little worse for wear. 1,600ft of climbing including 500+ ft in the first mile will sort that out quick enough!

Paced it surprisingly well, moving up from around 20th to 5th, before being overtaken by a young whippersnapper in the final mile and ending up 6th. The groom won (again), we were 3rd team and Katie was 4th lady and first ladies team. 71 minutes for 10 miles at a near max effort; it was a pretty tough course and I'm definitely not in peak fitness right now!

In other news, the trilogy of Kona blogs is finally complete, for those that have a spare hour or two!

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/
  • Binge blog reading here, it’s better than Netflix !  I might have to pause though to go out and run.
  • Little orange button bottom left Joe. Gives you 2 options, one of which is subtitles (think it tells youo this in welsh mind!!)
    Good w/e of racing from yourself. Funny story - colleague & running buddy of mine was out doing his long Sunday run along the cyclepath from Blandford when he crossed the Stickler course everyone thought he was leading the race & cheered him on. He carried on up the path & arrived at the finish to be greeted as the race winner over the tannoy whilst volunteers tried to give him medals etc! He was desperately trying to stick to his pace whilst dodging people :D
    Will read the blog now to prevent me going out for a run.