P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• No Target Jools - Just entered it really to get my base back up for spring marathon training as my GFA has changed to sub 3:10. If I can get round in about 3:30 I will be happy.

3x20 milers is a minimum for me really.. normally like to make sure my 5 longest runs are 100 miles

3000 miles a year is insane. that's averaging almost 58 miles per week! I doubt I have even done 1000 miles this year.

• Steve - some solid training being posted there.  You deserve to come back stronger for doing all the right things.

I hit 3000 miles for the year sometime Sat afternoon.  No doubt you’ll do it Jools.

I was feeling quite smug Sat evening with how I had looked after my quads.  That changed Sunday when I had to walk up some stairs. Time to see if a small hobble loosens them up.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: I always find going up stairs ok, its going down them I struggle with. I find reversing down works well!

• Macca - fantastic result @ Wendover - really impressive stuff. Hope you're feeling a bit looser today!

Spoons - good to see you getting back to some good fitness. Decent speed in that longer run on Sunday; you'll be back to where you were before you know it.

HA - I'm working near Queens Park now which I don't think is too far away; potential to resurrect lunchtime/morning runs?

Busy few days as I started a new job yesterday, so trying to get settled and work out how to tailor training around that - you guys know how it is.

Had the London XC champs on Saturday at Parliament Hill. 10km (actually measured 10.6km), conditions were pretty good, but a month of lounging around and binging hasn't done my fitness much good! I was soundly beaten by many I'm usually ahead of. Suppose I better start doing some actual training at some point.

Followed that up with a 16 miler on Sunday with Katie, nice social pace. That evening we had our annual club awards/party. Managed to take triathlete of the year, which I genuinely wasn't expecting because there's loads of great people at the club. Had a few too many which made the first day in the new job slightly more challenging that it should've been. 

Should probably start tapering for Valencia next week. But I'm pretty sure you have to do training for a taper to be effective :D 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Joe - Good work getting back into it with an ultra, a tough XC, then straight to Valencia. No messing around. What's the plan for next year? Early season IM, then back to Kona? Not sure what's happening now with the work move to London, nothing's been said this week, so we'll see. Definitely keen for a catch up run if/when it happens.

Steve - Very impressed with your motivation and sensible comeback from injury. Certainly no need to even think about speedwork at the moment. Hopefully the improvement continues. 

Macca - Not surprised you're already over 3000 miles for the year. Smashing it. 

Jools - That's a solid commute. Great way to build those base miles. I really wish I could do a run commute but it'd be pretty much a full marathon so not realistic as a regular thing. 

Got back up to the track this morning in full winter kit for 4x100, 6x300, 6x200 with equal slow jog recovery. A bit better than last time, managing 51-53s for the 300s and 34-35s for the 200s. Nice to think that my all out, gut busting 200s were at Kipchoge's marathon pace. 
  • HA - definitely, keep me posted. No Kona for me next year, not going to target it. Doing Challenge Roth in July which at the moment is my only/main race. Want to go under 9 hours. Do some running in the spring; currently got Wokingham, Reading and London, but not sure whether I'll actually focus on any specifically and race them or just use for training.

Really struggling for motivation at the moment. Keep putting off swimming as I just really CBA, so I've only been like twice in the last 5 weeks! Think the ultra is actually just only catching up with me now. 7 miles this morning after 2 days off but it wasn't enjoyable. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Western States lottery ticket confirmed today. 20k tickets in the lottery and I have 1! Not interested in getting in this year but each year your chances increase because your ticket number is multipled by 2^(n-1)

I see someone else’s name from the thread on the lottery list...
  • Haha - no prizes for guessing who that might be AWC.  I’m in a similar position in that ideally I would like to get in 2020 or the year after.  Strangely though I think I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get in this year.

HA - that puts it into perspective, decent pre work work out though.

Joe - I can imagine the swim being the first thing to go when motivation dips.  Some recent big efforts and a new job (good luck btw) are bound to take their toll.

some more recovery miles for me today. It feels like I’ve got a new pair of legs compared to yesterday.  I can now lower myself onto the toilet seat without completely dropping that last 3 or 4 inches. Simple pleasures.

• HA – I only just picked up on the fact that a half PB would be an assault on a 25 year record. That is huge! Anyone else come close to being in shape to target times from a good length of time ago? Very impressive. Brilliant you’re back at track and yes, it’s incredible to think about Kipchoge’s MP. In fact, I gave an assembly about him this morning. Not sure anyone had a clue who he was.

Building well, FBT.

Good to catch up on Monday, spoons. Looked like some more tasty reps from you today and a great long run at the weekend. I’ve got no doubt that come the Linda Franks 5M in January, running hierarchy will be restored – I’ll be hanging onto your coattails again. Forgot to say how funny the Adam Buxton video was, brilliant.

The Elan Valley looks a lovely race, Jooligan. I enjoyed the tapering article (or at least the abstract). Just a thought – as they were all elite runners with presumably massive mileage, does that affect the nature or the required taper vs us mere mortals? Obviously not including your heroic efforts in that bracket.

Super running at the WW50, Macca. Really consistent pacing. Lol at your description of dropping from a few inches above the toilet. The mind boggles. After my first marathon I had such bad DOMS the evening after, I fell over in the fridge aisle of Tesco. A pensioner had to help me up and I nearly crushed her buns.

Rapid parkrun, muddy. Genuine question: had you not realised you had forgotten the barcode until after the run, do you think you’d have gone faster?

AWC – you’re still loving the loops. Have you made a full loop a strava segment yet?

Hazel – the weather gods hear your pleas! A brief hint of snow in the Cotswolds today – although nowhere near like Europe.

Talking of which, anyone see the day of and day after photos of Queenstown Marathon that Joe did a few years ago? Bearing in mind it is summer there, the snow the day after was incredible. Would love to head back there for some races/trail running one day. I wouldn’t worry about motivation for swimming being low, Joe. You can’t sustain it year round. I’m just impressed you get on the bike in filthy weather – that would definitely be the first to go for me.

You’re building back really nicely, Steve. Keep up the great work.

I should crack 3000 miles for the year by the end of November. But am conscious of getting a little obsessed with mileage. 15 hilly miles at easy effort on Sunday, exploring the marvellously named hamlet of Stanley Pontlarge. Tuesday morning saw a random session of 4 x 2 minute hill reps then a few miles of MP. Tomorrow morning looks cold: -2C! Planning a third Mona Fartlek.

• SQ: The link used to have the full article (not sure why it changed) which covered lots of other sports too & obviously had more detail. I think it's fair to say many of us on here run some pretty big mileages in marathon training with plenty of hard sessions too so I'd guess it should work for us too. I seem to remember Joe was adopting a similar strategy.
    Plenty of quality running from yourself, Spoons & HA.
    Led a track session at lunch for the kids 6x300m off 100m jog recovery then 2x400m off 400m but only really pushed on the 400s as I'd hoped to get another Workout Wednesday TM session in but marking & then report writing took so long I got kicked out of work before I could even begin it. Did 10M round the Spring HM course in the moonlight which was lovely. Almost ran over a family of boar then met some more about 4M later who were definitely more alarmed than me. I ran some hard miles at the start to get warm then a couple of 800m intervals right before the massive climb then trotted round the 2nd half which is gradually uphill in the main.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: haven't made a segment of the loop as I hand't thought to do that but will give it a go. Thanks!
  • SQ - Yeah, sort of. It was an above average mileage week for me, which was also limiting how much I could put into the run. But I had a definite sense of it not really mattering that much and slacked off from mile 2. Based on heart rate I was around 5 bpm lower than I was for my 17.22 back in August, and much closer to the level of my recent 10k.
  • Sorry guys, been a bit AWOL. Now just spending what feels like absolute ages catching up. Serves me right.

Regarding race toilets - rather than queueing have a quick look around if there are any building sites nearby with accessible portaloos.  I've often been lucky to find one when warming up, they are often not in that bad a condition and often even have paper and water.

That's Switzerland for you. I wouldn't touch a builder's loo with a bargepole over here ...

Joe: Looks like triple congrats are in order: 1. the Gower, 2. new job and 3. club award. Nice work on all 3 occasions. Hope you settle in quickly and find that work/train balance :)

Jools/SQ: Nothing wrong with a bit of Prodigy. Their lyrics are tame compared to most rap shit that's played on air these days. And the beat really gets you going.

And an impressive 10 mile / parkrun combo the other day. Echo what others said. I'm shattered just reading about those exploits. You seem to be quite bullet-proof.

Sounds like Spoons is back. Yay! That's your patience coming good. Brilliant.

A quick word on Wendover Woods 50 today.  Based on previous performances I was hoping for a sub 10hrs so I’m made up with a 9:01 and 12th place.  I’ll hopefully get the lap splits at some point but it felt like a well controlled race.  As usual, a fantastically organised ultra and a great day out in the woods.

Casually dropping in another ultra. Brilliant!

AWC said:
    I love the irony of Jools posting a link to an article on tapering!!!

:D

1SteveMac said:
    I've still been building my miles, now back to 30 per week. Still doing 90 minutes on the bike before my Saturday runs, so last 2 weeks have been 90 mins on the bike then 10 miles of running. Decided not to follow the P&L 10k plan, as it's going to be too much speedwork too soon after my injury, so just going to keep building my base miles to get my aerobic base back to where it was pre injury, then see where I'm at when I get to my 10k race!! Can then follow P&L HM plan for Edinburgh in May.

Sensible plan Steve. I'm really enjoying P&L training but deffo better to establish that aerobic base first. Mileage plus tough sessions equals injury.

AWC said:
    Western States lottery ticket confirmed today. 20k tickets in the lottery and I have 1! Not interested in getting in this year but each year your chances increase because your ticket number is multipled by 2^(n-1)

I see someone else’s name from the thread on the lottery list...

I'll never get this ultra/lottery/points stuff. Being 1 of 20k tickets would sound to me like you have a spot in the race but it seems that's not the case. But good on ya (and Macca).

• Have probably missed one person or the other but my brain is a bit fuzzy what with all the catching up.

I'm in week 5 on the P&L half marathon plan which is a recovery week. So no sessions other than a 9 miler with a bunch of strides which I did in cold wind and sleet today. The joys of winter training. In fact I wimped out twice this week and hit the gym. Managed my longest ever treadmill run (10 miles) yesterday. Usually dropping dead with boredom after 7 but ground it out. Sweat fest!

• Jooligan - I do agree with a two week taper. I feel stale with three weeks. Nice trail run for you. Are you doing the race in March? I have a deferred place from last year. Really looking forward to it. 

Good work with P&L, chicksta. Doing that programme really got me into strides. 

Average Mona Fartlek for me yesterday. Short recovery this morn, then hope to have a crack at parkrun tomorrow. If it’s still the summer course it’ll be muddy and slippy. If it’s switched to winter it’ll be crowded and long! Should be a rare buggy-free run though so will give it some welly.  
  • That's an impressive fitness increase Muddy if the HR is to be believed.
    Should be good for a CR Saturday then AWC ;)
    Sounds good Chicksta.
    Yes I'm doing the FoD Spring Half again SQ - mine's a deferred place too.  Good luck at parkrun. I plan to have a crack at Pitchcroft again although I'm not expecting great things as I've done over 90M in the last 7 days including racing 5K & 10M last Saturday! No other racing commitments this w/e for a change though.
    Read an article recently which was about staying competitive as Masters athletes & the Mona fartlek was recommended as a key weekly workout btw.

• Thanks Chick, sounds like the training is going well. Very impressive, 10 miles on the treadmill. Not sure I've ever done more than 6.

Good luck with the parkruns this weekend chaps.

I'm quite fortunate with the new job (or maybe I was savvy), in that the owner of the business is a mad-keen triathlete and qualifies and races Kona nearly every year. She's pretty incredible actually. Took up running in her mid-40's, coming from a background of smoking 20 a day. Trained for 4 months and ran sub 3 at the London Marathon. Think of the potential that had always been there!

After talking about lack of motivation, I've actually been swimming twice in two days. Running legs have gone amiss though - I think it's a delayed reaction with the ultra catching up on me - only ran twice this week.

Good timing with Valencia just around the corner! :D
  • Wow Joe, sounds like you hit the jackpot there. I also took up running in my 40s coming from a background of smoking 20 a day but the similarities end there :)

Call it extreme tapering for Valencia. Is it next weekend?

Jools: Monster mileage! Crikey. Good luck at parkrun.

11 miles endurance run. Outside, I hasten to add. Not sure I want to repeat another long TM session soon. Legs felt surprisingly bouncy.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools - great mileage. Good luck for parkrun tomorrow. No CR unfortunately as we have friends visiting so lots of stuff planned for weekend. Planning a 10-12 miler on Sunday evening with a few hills of course. 

Joe: sounds like you’ve landed on your feet. Glad you’ve got sorted work wise. Gotta pay those Kona fees somehow!!

Chick - sounds like P&L is going well and treadmill is certainly character building! The ultra lottery is like a normal lottery where they pick 500 numbers from the 20,000 tickets in the pot. The difference is 1st year entrants have 1 ticket, whereas 2nd year you get 2, 3rd year 4 etc so you have a better chance.

SQ: can’t smash a Mona every week. Hope parkrun goes well tomorrow. 

I’ve had a couple of days of good running. My legs are feeling really good. A good Mona Fartlek yesterday and 8mi today where I just ran at MP from the start and kept going feeling like I was runnning well within myself. 

Saw the physio today as well for a rub down which is always good to loosen up all the niggles I’ve picked up. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - Your boss sounds great. The most running talk I get at work is people telling me I'm crazy. The commute looks reasonable too. Well done on getting back in the pool. Regardless of how you run in Valencia, I reckon it'll be great for motivation. Still no word on the work in London. Things seem to change so quickly at my work. 

Everyone's doing the Mona Fartlek now. Great stuff AWC and SQ. I might have to start bringing it back soon. Great that you're feeling good again AWC, it only takes a couple of good runs to feel like you're back in the game.

There are so many good session out there to do and I'm always reading about different things I'd like to try. I really struggle to fit them all in. I did read of 2 other people/groups doing that tempo / hill reps / tempo sandwich that I thought I'd invented last year. Nothing new under the sun.

Jools - Great mileage. You might even feel better for a light weekend race wise.

Good work on the P&L chicksta. Cold is ok, cold/windy not so good, cold/windy/rain is bad but cold/windy/sleet must be the worst.

Got out for my first Wednesday double in a while the other evening following the morning track session. A pretty lame one - just 7.5 miles with a few uphill surges but it's a start. Got out for a decent long run before work this morning, mostly in the dark and offroad. Didn't push hard but felt pretty worn out by the end. At about 60 miles for the week now. Might get a run in on the weekend but not too concerned if I don't. I feel like if I can consistently sit around that 100km/week I'll be going well by April. I might try to do a bit more if time allows but that seems to be around the limit of what I can regularly fit into a week and I feel like it's enough to get me in good shape.
  • Wow Jooligan, thats a huge week. Especially so without a marathon on the immediate horizon. Good luck at Pitchcroft this morning. 

7M sounds about perfect for commuting distance, Joe. Hope the new job works our well. 

Sorry HA, I seem to be ripping off your training left right and centre. First the Mona, then the hills and tempo. Great week for you, and I agree that sitting around 60-65M/week will have you in great shape for the spring. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Reasonable result at Pitchcroft parkrun: managed 19:10. My slowest time there but, whilst the course change has made it better for fast running as there are no U-turns, it also appears to be slightly longer. I'd also had about 2 hrs kip after celebrating a friend's birthday with several ciders the night before.
    2:55 for the first 800m then settled at 6:06 pace but I had a dodgy 800m after Spoons came past me on the second lap which put paid to my sub 19 aspirations. He finished strongly to dip under 19 again. 
    We then had a nice warm down along the river route which ended up considerably longer than planned as we had to track down my gloves & water bottle. Found the team token sorting in the cafe & discovered they'd been stashed for next week so got the key jogged back then tried opening all the doors to the pavilion except the right one, jogged back, found out which door it was, jogged back, retrieved them, returned the key then headed back to the car. All the toing & froing probably added 2M!
  • Haha lengthy warm down Jools and Spoons. Nice smack down between you two. 

Enjoyable but below avergae parkrun for me. 18:51 for ninth. Slippery but seem to lose concentration and motivation a bit on the second lap. 10M total with a warm down. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Jools. I did notice how close you were on strava. If you could've had SQ and Joe there too you all would've been very close.

Just an easy 5ish miles with some short hill sprints tonight. I do wonder what my life has come to when I jog past all the people heading out for a big Saturday night on the turps.
  • I saw that on Strava & thought the same HA. I also noticed Millsy ran a similar time too yesterday.
    Rounded the week off with a steady but progressive 20M in 2:41 along the Monmouth & Brecon canal today to bring my weekly mileage up to 95. Another big week coming up before a slight taper to give myself a decent shot at a PB at Telford.
  • I get the same feeling HA on an early Sunday run when the nightclubs are kicking out those still standing. 

Huge week, Jooligan. And very solid 20M. You’re longer term powers of recovery are very impressive. I’m definitely not fully there post marathon, although lack of sleeping is compounding that. 

Classic 10M route yesterday on a bit of a hangover. Bringing up 60M for the week. Currently sitting in the world’s worst traffic jam. Genuinely could hav run quicker. 
  • Bad long run for me this weekend after a couple of satisfactory 20 milers, this weekends 18 miles was really hard, meant to do 20 miles but cut it sort, might have been too many hills. pace was dropping heavily towards the end.

So was building well SQ... 18:51 would get you in top 3 every week at my park run SQ!

Beautiful place to run Jools - do you run through Llangattock?

• HA - saw that long run, early doors. Do you need to wear a headtorch for that kind of stuff or are you on the streets? Echo the thoughts re; people heading out for a night on the tiles. I'd rather be up smashing myself before the suns come up though.

Jools - another big weekend/week! Great to see you and Spoons catching up. I think it's great that loads of us have actually met face to face now. Wokingham should be great fun. I know a load of the Stevie G thread are going as well.

SQ - nice nudge at parkrun, hard to get up for it at this time of year.

FBT - don't worry about the bad one, we all have them. Still 18 miles in the bank - top work.

So I had a bit of a sulk after parkrun on Saturday. We had a mob match against another club so big turn out. Decided I'd give it a bit of 'a go' with Valencia in mind - more intrigued than anything. No offence to anyone else (it's all relative I guess), but 19:00 was a disaster. It wasn't the quickest course (very slippy underfoot, bit of an ice rink at times), but I was beaten by plenty of club mates that historically I've been miles ahead of. 

It reminded me that you can't take anything for granted in this sport - although I've probably tried to do too much post Kona instead of have a proper break. Sulk was short lived when I thought of people like Spoons who have had to suffer through injury etc - and I know things will change. 

Had to restore confidence somehow so went out and ran 20 miles on Sunday at 7.30mm and actually, to be fair, that felt pretty good. All thoughts of pacing a friend to 2.45 in Valencia now seem absolutely laughable. I'm instead dropping back and will try and run with another mate who's going for sub 3. Should be a fun trip whatever happens. 
  • I was on track to break 4000 miles this year before things fell apart. Should still manage 3000 though I think.

Kipchoge’s pace is mind boggling isn’t it HA, really puts it in to perspective. 

Think you’ve earned some down time Joe, and I’m sure the motivation will return soon enough! As I keep having to remind myself, you can’t be at peak performance all the time so I wouldn’t worry too much about that parkrun. Great you’ve found another job, and the boss sounds perfect.

That really made me laugh Macca, how easy it is to get up/down from the toilet is always a strong measure of marathon recovery for me :D

Decent week last week overall. 800m reps on Wednesday were a touch faster than last week, and I managed to dip under 19 minutes at parkrun again. It was great to catch up with Jooligan even if our warm-down ended up being a bit longer than anticipated! Funny how many of us all seemed to be around the same time this weekend.

I said to Jooligan I was amazed by his ability to go out drinking and then get out for a decent run, and to back that up I failed to get out yesterday after a late night (for me anyway). Still managed over 50 miles for the week though, and given that I developed a head cold over the course of yesterday maybe it was for the best I didn’t drain myself with a long run. Hopefully it’ll shift soon.

• Beautiful place to run Jools - do you run through Llangattock?
    Not yet. I start at Llanfoist & have gone both ways along the canal but not reached that far though I have run there on another occasion when I made a nav error coming off Fan-y-Big.
    Sorry to hear you had a rough 20M. I had one of those about 3 weeks ago along the canal & for that reason I headed the opposite way this time. Strange how it goes though as last time I felt really bouncy but was fading from 15M whereas I felt creaky as hell to start this week but managed a perfect progressive 20: knocked a minute off each 5M time then finished by taking 100s off.
    Legs felt OK for my lunch run today too which ended up as 5.7M because we got a bit lost. Fortunately the canal is almost back so I won't have to risk too many more exploratory runches.
    That's a decent 20M Joe & I'm sure your endurance will still be good for a sub 3. You'll also enjoy the run a lot more I expect too.