P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Impressive half in the heat, Ramjet. And some very solid tri training. Which 70.3 are you doing?
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Joe: hope the nerves are under control. Good luck and safe travels. I'll be tracking you on Sunday for sure :)

Ramjet: seems like a decent tempo session given you haven't done any since London!

Steve: good luck with the ankle at the weekend - hope its sufficiently recovered

SQ: nice LR off the back of a track session

Scott: good luck tonight and hopefully you get to see most of the game!

Spoons: glad to hear the back is improving. The yoga has got to be helping that.

Muddy: cider, voucher and salted caramel ice cream all sounds worth the effort - great time as well! Sounds like you got the pacing just right given the way you pulled past people at the end. Shame about the laces, but 3 times in a race haha, that's just negligence of the highest order!

Jools: parkrun, 5km, 1500m, 2km and a fell race :D sounds great! Seriously don't know how you put your weekends together with the alcohol. I've pretty much knocked drinking on the head as I just can't cope with it whilst training, racing and trying to get decent sleep/recovery in. However I certainly struggle when I'm in Bristol as they have some amazing pub and breweries there - my Father in law lives round the corner from Moor brewery.

Couple of recoveries and a hill session this week. Even though my legs feel totally trashed after these weekend back to back long runs I seem to be running all my midweek hill sessions faster than when marathon training. It just feels like I'm running a lot slower.
  • Hope you sort out the DOMs Jooligan

Where about's in France are you off to SQ? I'm off there on Saturday as well

Racking up the bike and run miles Ramjet

Obviously feeling the training benefits if even on trashed legs you're running the hill sessions quicker AWC

Well the football loss can be fully blamed on me. Didn't watch the Belgium game (we lost), didn't watch the 2nd half/1st half of ET last night (we lost). 

Anyway Watford Open 800m last night, settled into 2nd from the off through the bell in 59ish, tried to kick it on between 400-600m but it was here that the wheels slowly began to go, leader moved away and 2 guys went past. Managed to hold it together for a PB of 2.01.17. Disappointed though as the 3 ahead all went sub 2 so it was there for the taking

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Still finding it hard to walk!! Wondering if it's more than just DOMs tbh as I've never known anything like it. Quads are still really tender so didn't run again yesterday. Either that or I'm not managing the recovery Steve.
    Great work to get a PB Scott - I'm sure that sub2 will come this season with further consistent training & race sharpening.
    Good HMs Ramjet & Muddy.

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Blimey Jooligan, it must have been a beast of a race. 

Ridiculously fast, Scott. Great work. Is there another sub 2 shot planned in the next few weeks? We’re off to Provence. Sadly it doesn’t concern with Le Tour, but I might hire a bike to cycle up Mt Ventoux. Where are you off to?

Great you’re getting in sessions as well as the (very) long stuff, AWC. 

Dip is in the lido and then a slow recovery plod home. 6M at 8:20s. Really getting in the watching the Tour de France, although depressingly my wife is beating me in the fantasy league. 
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I’ve found the new thread!! 

Just popped my head in to say good luck to Joe for the big one. Have seen some awesome training sessions on Strava. Hope you get the result you deserve.

not much to report from me.very slowly getting back into things after an aborted comeback  3 weeks ago. Still hoping to bag a decent GFA at Abingdon as my autumn target.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cracking 800m Scott.

Looks like I'll be tracking you Joe, after last night. How you feeling about the shorter bike course, are you going to revise any pacing strategies?
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I hope everyone has recovered from yesterday evening by now..

Nice HM report muddy - I enjoyed reading that.  Sounds like the sort of race I would like.  Well done on 6th place and first V45.  Salted caramel ice cream sounds delicious.  

Joe I will try to keep up on your progress on Sunday when I am not out and about on my long run.  Take care and good luck!  We get the standard rural wildlife here - foxes, deer, field hares etc.  I don't think there any wild boar around (fortunately) and the rare bears and wolves stick to the mountains (sensible).

Spoons swans can be pretty nasty things.  

Enjoy France SQ.  Nice long run.  I've also been watching some of the TdF.  

Good luck with the ankle Steve.

Good work AWC after that double weekend.

Nice to see you ramjet.  Good luck with the ongoing tri training.  Well done on your Wilmslow result.

And also nice to see Millsy - what's been the issue?  Sorry can't remember.

Congratulations on the 800 PB Scott and enjoy France as well.  

Ouch to the DOMS Jools.  Pretty bad if it isn't starting to ease off by now.

I'm looking forward to my rest day tomorrow after a 4 mile recovery yesterday evening and 8 miles GA with 11 strides this morning.  Dithered about whether to go out this evening instead but it was cool and sunny with little wind and I worked out I had just enough time before a telco.  Currently working through week 3 with no problems, tough long run on Sunday with 10 miles at mara pace looming but if I worry about it beforehand I won't get it done.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Vive le Tour.
    Shut up Legs - 12K done along the Wye tonight after a swim. We'll see how they fare.
    Shortened bike leg Reg/JB?
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    SQ, it is called The Sundowner - near York. Entries still open ?

Congrats on the PB Scott! Crazy speed there. Sub 2 is just a matter of time.

Sounds like training is going well Hazel. I must admit I don’t miss the long runs - 13 is enough for me at the moment!

Hope your legs recover Jooligan.

Just 2 x cycle commute and a recovery 6 for me today.

Getting into TrainingPeaks now. It’s a bit like Strava - you upload all your activities and it gives you all kinds of stats. Apparently I am fatigued and should consider some rest! Not gonna happen just yet.
  • Get on the stretching and roller Jools!

SQ - there will probably be a few more 800s before the end of the season, next up is a 1500m in 2 weeks time. Cycling up Ventoux would be incredible, I'm off to La Plagne in the alps, so going to the La Rosiere finish and then the Bourg St maurice start 

Good to see you easing your way back Millsy, stay away from the Novichock  ;)

Stay safe Joe, no more scrapes with tractors/thorn bushes

Coming along nicely Hazel :)

Also forgot to mention that Kyle Langford and Laura Wightman were at Watford on Wednesday. Langford didn't look in the greatest of shape though

Grass session last night of 2 sets of (4mins, 4 x 90s) with 5 x 30s to finish. Paces all between 4:30 - 5min miling

• Scott, that's a lightning fast 800m, massive congrats mate. So good to see back running fast after the set backs you've had. Long may it continue.

Ramjet - sounds like a good event. I've tried to get into training peaks but never really got it. Do you have the premium version?

Hazel - sounds like an absolute zoo compared to the UK!

Reg/jooligan - yeah, bike course shortened from 112 miles to 95 because of the fires on the moors; they've had to divert it. Slightly annoyed to be honest, as I've improved my biking a lot and was hoping to be making up time in the later stages. Still, probably works out in favour of stronger runners. I feel sorry for the first timers as they feel 'cheated' out of the full ironman distance.

Up north now and all settled in. Not been uneventful. As some may have seen, had a minor mishap yesterday. Coming downhill round a blind bend (luckily taking it cautiously and slowly), and there's a tractor right there, taking up the whole road, coming towards me. Had a choice between going under his front wheel or the thorn bush. Was an easy choice. Got lucky really.

My bike is now in the shop needing new parts that we spent all of yesterday afternoon trying to find. Fingers crossed I'll have it back today.

Thanks for all the good luck messages! Really excited now. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Joe! Good job you were taking it easy but far from ideal prep. Hope the bike shop do a good job.
    Another 7M along the canal this morning: 8 min miling but felt like a slog & HR agreed.
    I bet Training Peaks would be telling me off constantly :D
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you’re OK Joe, it’s a sure sign that you’re meant to smash it this weekend! Good luck and make the most of your training. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: the pics look nasty and the story even worse! Glad its nothing too serious and the bike is repairable. Take it easy!!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jeez, close call Joe. Glad you're ok. Hopefully the bike will be too. Smash it on Sunday.

Track session went alright on Wednesday, just my standard 8x400, 200 rec then finished off with a few strides. 14.5 miles today, which is my longest run in a while. Not too bad, apart from getting lost trying to follow footpaths across fields.
  • Nice running HA, really great to see you back on your feet.

Bike back, all seems good. 

Pre-race blog up, even features a photo of some on this thread!

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/13/ironman-uk-preview/
    All the best for tomorrow Joe, glad the bike is sorted!  

Good to see you the legs are letting you run Jools.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Joe. Hope you go really well and enjoy it. You certainly deserve a special performance after all the hard work you have put in! 
  • On page 4 already, where does the time go ?

Joe, enjoyed the blog, looking forward to the next one where, to coin a phrase "you've written your own history".  Best of luck, go and get what you deserve.

Some belated congrats, NE for the ultra.  Hopefully all are recovering and you can look back at what you achieved enormous pride.

John fantastic stab at sub 3.  You've held onto your speed a lot better than I have.

Everyone else, all noted.

No autumn mara here although I fancy a training one if I can find a localish one that works with dates.  Ticking over nicely enough but envious of some of AWC's LR's - you should be in great shape.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Everything crossed for you tomorrow Joe!

Final long long run this morning. 30 miles doing a few laps of Portland on the South West Coast Path. Absolutely beautiful - was out at 4.30am so saw the sun rise and had the whole island to myself on the first lap. 

Time me for a 3 week taper now. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe flying through T2, 2nd in age group 10:36 behind the leader. He could make that up easily. 
  • It was great tracking him make his way through the field on the bike. Fingers crossed he has a good run!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    He smashed the bike didn’t he! Loving these regular splits. 

Looking good on the run so far. Finger crossed for him
    Come on Joe! I'm also watching the tracker.  Got all my fingers and toes crossed..
  • Hey guys. Quite some day yesterday.

Had a solid enough swim. Times were slower across the board including professionals which suggests it was slightly long, but it is what it is.

Went about trying to move through the field on the bike, and was making solid progress, until some moron motorist decided to make his was on to the bike course when the roads were closed, and swing a u-turn just as I was passing at 20mph on his right. Hit him hard and went straight over the bonnet. It was a miracle the bike wasn't a write off, and somehow after a few minutes I got back on in the hope that I might be able to carry on.

Turns out I had some internal bleeding and soft-tissue damage, my left leg was in absolutely agony, but I wasn't about to let all the hard work and hours and hours of training go to waste! Internally though, I was thinking there was no way I'm going to be able to run and put any impact on it as I was in a considerable amount of pain. 

Finished the bike and got the news that I was in 2nd which further deflated me if anything as I was screaming in pain with each step and hobbling along. After a couple of miles it started to loosen up and I found a rhythm. I knew 3rd place (should) be enough, so I just went into survival mode and tried to manage my effort. Last 10 miles were so bleak but I had that carrot of Kona firmly in my mind. I could feel the lights starting to switch off and things were going a bit blurry, but I dragged myself to the finish.

Awards ceremony this morning when I'll know for sure about Kona. I think I could be in luck..
  • Jesus Joe! Glad you are ok, hope the injuries aren’t too bad. It looked on the tracker like you weren’t having a great run, that explains it! Even more incredible performance in those circumstances. Hope you get your well deserved Kona spot today. 
  • Jesus Joe, it never seems to just be a simple race for you. You love a bit of drama ;)  Being serious though that could have been nasty so pleased to hear you got away without serious harm and still absolutely smashed the race! Fingers crossed for the Kona slot, you deserve it

Great last long run AWC, all looking good ahead of the taper

In France until next Sunday now, managed to run an hour yesterday, tough getting back up into the village, bloody steep! Great watching the french game in a bar later in the day

• Joe - What is it with some people ?  That makes a fantastic performance even more incredible.  Rest up and recover well.
    Joe - massive well done - that makes your result all the more impressive.  Hope you are basically ok and fingers and toes are still crossed that you will get the Kona place.  I remember seeing a dip in your bike average on the tracker and thought - bloody puncture - but that is a lot worse. 

Great long run AWC - I liked the pictures on Strava.

Bet there are a few hangovers today in France Scott.

Decent 16 mile long run for me yesterday - managed to finish before it got too hot and picked a riverside route meaning I could dip my legs immediately afterwards - should have been braver and got in all together.  MP section (10 miles) went well - was tempted to start whinging over the last 4 but managed to keep it going.