P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• SQ - great work - that's some fast running, especially with the long run surely still in your legs. Really pleased for you. No idea what spectators 'beering you on' entails, but sounds good to me. I'm on a complete running ban until at least Monday unfortunately, and also plan to be quite hungover tomorrow morning. Next time definitely though!

Scott - heard the elite race was pretty nippy. The heat is taking it's toll at the moment; I wouldn't worry too much about not getting quite what you wanted. Should be cooler in Oxford on Sat.

Sounds like a good session Hazel, nicely played.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Scott I saw a review of Watford on Fast Running. Looked an incredible 3000. Still very rapid from yourself. 

Joe - please ignore my typos. Holiday mode. Whilst ‘beering on’ sounds my kind of thing, ‘cheering’ would be more accurate. And as for a sub 5 min 5k pacer... 15 min. 

6km at LT is not to be sniffed at, Hazel. 

Chicksta, I don’t mind an easy run in the sun, it’s just hard runs that are tougher. Good mental training on the treadmill from you and spoons! 

4M recovery at lunchtime before heading to London. Now sunning myself on a rooftop bar. Nothing worse than a solo drinker!

• Afternoon all. I’ve been quiet lately but keeping up with all the exploits.  Welcome back Chicksta.  Some good speedy short stuff going on  even if not quite what everyone was looking for.  Sorry to read about NY Steve but I’m sure the right decision.  Read the first blog Joe, great stuff.  Even knowing the result it’s nailbiting.

i’m lying In a tent in Coniston trying to get some shut eye but it’s like an oven in here, never mind, the thunderstorms should cool things down later. Lakeland 100 starts 6pm, it’s crept up on me a bit and it’s fair to say I’ve got first “ marathon nerves”.
  • 24º at 4:45am chicksta? Ouch! Well done getting to 14.5.

Always nice when you can see the improvement HA. Sure you’ll get there.

Good thinking with the post-run beers Hazel!

Sorry to hear about the tendonitis and NYC withdrawal Steve. Hope it clears up soon.

Great report as ever Joe. Your marathon performance after the crash really is incredible.

I clearly have a very narrow operating window SQ! Great work on the track race, sure you’d have been even faster in better (or I suppose, worse!?) weather too. You’ve certainly been busy lately - 5K Weds, a double day before lunchtime yesterday, and down to the track for a session again today!

Sorry you didn’t have a good one Scott, good luck for Saturday.

Good luck Macca, hope the weather is kind to you.

You know you’ve started marathon training when you hit your highest mileage week of the month and it’s only Friday morning! 13 mile MLR for me this morning, was quite surprised to average 7:04/mi as my paces have been pretty poor so far this week. Bit of a confidence booster, especially as it was a warm morning.

Yesterday I headed to the gym for my afternoon recovery, couldn't face the 30º+ temps and didn't want to tire myself for this morning. Didn't think I'd be treadmill running for this training cycle, let alone to avoid the heat!

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Macca. Hate it when a 100M race creeps up on you!

Impressive MLR, spoons, pace coming back to you very nicely. Currently sitting on the world’s hottest bus - the thought of an air conned gym sounds very nice. 

Despite a reasonable hangover, made my way down to an already very hot Battersea Park track this morn. The first of the BAC sessions had 3 x 10 mins at LT. I suspected this might be a bit ambitious but thought I’d have a crack. Didn’t want to wait until tomorrow and impact Sunday’s long run. First effort about right at 6:08m/m, followed by 1:00 walk, 2:30 jog. Second and third efforts far slower 6:36 and 6:44 m/m. So below MP. Good practice at running on tired legs at least. Nice shady cool down around the park. 
  • Yeah the 3000m was amazing to watch, especially when you bear in mind only 14 men in the UK have gone sub 8 this year before that race.

TDF is getting interesting today, glad to see some of them giving it a right go, even if they blow up on the final 2 climbs makes it a bit more exciting!

All the best at Lakeland Macca, at least it's going to be a little cooler this weekend 

Back in your element with the longer runs Spoons

Still solid paces on what I suspect are quite tired legs SQ

Just an easy 30 yesterday and rest today to attempt to give the legs some recovery before tomorrow

• Good luck Macca, I'll be tracking for sure. And good luck tomorrow Scott. Got the tour on at work. Looking forward to the fireworks starting.

Cracking work this morning SQ, especially on a hangover! Battersea Park is a great place to run.

Spoons - great to see you getting back into it.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oops, thought I'd posted yesterday but must have forgotten to submit. D'oh.

Macca and Scott: fingers crossed for you.

Tough morning sesh, SQ. Must be a good feeling to have it out of the way.

Those of you who are into the TdF, enjoy. I'd much rather watch paint dry ;)

Joe: you should have done IM Hamburg. It's tomorrow and they've had to cancel the swim due to poisonous algae. It's now a duathlon with a 6k run instead of the swim. Must be gutting for first timers.

Got my long run out of the way yesterday at 4:15 am. 18 miles. Was back before the sun came up properly. Just yoga today and a short GA run tomorrow before IM spectating. Bike course goes past our house :+1:
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hope the weather is kind and the rain cooled things down for Macca.

Great read Joe. That you managed to qualify after the incident says a lot about the shape you're in as well as your toughness. I like that photo of you in a wheelchair, looking completely broken. Didn't take you long to perk up by the look of it. Would've been great to see what you could've managed in the run without the crash, but I guess we'll have to wait until October.

Really bad luck Steve. That's a real pain. Hope you can recover and get back to it soon enough.

Great work on the PB SQ. Bad luck in the 1500 Scott, still seems pretty fast to me. It all brings back memories of pain. Not sure I'll ever enter a track race again.

Good LR Chick and nice LT Hazel. A good start to the MLRs Spoon.

Got out for 19 miles before work yesterday. Felt really quite good. Managed to get rolling at a decent pace on some of the faster parts which was nice. It's probably the type of running I enjoy most.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Busy few days here at work and then at the Hockey World Cup today so just home. Not much running with it being last week of taper so just keeping things ticking over 

Macca: good luck tonight Macca! He’s just hit another checkpoint so is moving well. Looks pretty windy up there so fingers crossed!

Steve: sorry to hear about the tendonitis

HA: great 19 miler before work!
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Awesome Macca!  Had an eye on the tracker yesterday evening. 

Enjoy the IM chicksta and well done on the early start for the 18 miles.

Hope it went well yesterday Scott.

Nice MLR spoons.

Good hungover running SQ.

Well done on your 19 miles HA.  

18 mile LR for me yesterday in cooler but more humid conditions.  A spontaneous route change added in a short sharp hill reducing me to a shuffle and I took a wrong turning once as someone had altered the signposting (grr).  Otherwise a solid run - felt strong to the end.  Nice splash around for the legs in the lake afterwards. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Great report Joe and amazing race in every sense!

Belated good luck to macca - look forward to another epic performance. 

Good long runs from SQ, Hazel, chicksta, HA77. 

My bad weather luck continued today. Usually the Sydney Harbour 10k is the fastest one around but it just happened to coincide with a mini heatwave in the middle of winter! It had also rained overnight and was gusting around the harbour. I even wrote off a PB during the warm up even though the photos looked like perfect racing weather. Started off at planned pace but felt quick, effort ramped up even by 4k and drifted back from there. Even a few groups couldn’t pull me along and ended up 39:13 with a 19:03/20:10 split. Not the only one to positive split by a minute but frustrated that’s 3 races this year where the heat and humidity has played its part. That’s racing though so onto the next one. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    That's  a shame, John. Hope you find a race with better conditions soon.

Nice strong 18 Hazel and 19 HA.

Waiting for Maccas report :)

IM watching going on here. Trying to post some pics in a minute.

Thunderstorms last night so only 18 degrees this morning. My recovery run was faster than any running of late despite a mega low HR (8:35 pace @ 117 av. HR)
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great pics chicksta. No drafting then?
  • Thanks for the best wishes folks, I needed them.  Finished in just under a day and a half.  By a long stretch, the hardest race I have ever done.  

Love that that last pic Chicksta.
  • Nice long runs from chicksta, Hazel and HA

Hope the legs are beginning to feel better during the taper AWC :)

Bad luck on the heatwave John, but you gave it a go and sure the right conditions will come soon!

Well done Macca, look forward to hearing all about it.

As some of you may have seen I had a better run at the weekend (albeit a painful one - see strava photo). My first ever BMC (British Milers Club) race at Oxford, I was doing an 800m. Conditions weren't good so a PB wasn't really on the cards. Set off and tucked into third, pacer pulled out after 300m unfortunately and I was getting tetchy and about to go past the two infront into the wind but luckily coach gave me a shout to tuck in. Through the bell in 59ish. Continued to sit in until around 280m to go where I kicked hard and flew down the backstraight. From then on it was a case of holding on, which I did for the win in a time of 2:01:85. Considering the conditions very pleased with that as others were much further down on PB's in the quicker races so looks promising for the next 800m at Watford in 10days time. Finished the weekend with a wet/windy hour yesterday at 6:43 pace.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: fantastic - looking forward to the report! Looked like an absolute beast of a race - great training for something like UTMB  :)

Scott: great win in difficult conditions and sometimes it pays to listen to the coach! Good luck for the PB attempt at Watford. 
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Bad luck on the weather John.  I hope you get better race conditions soon.

Hope Macca is getting some well earned rest after that epic at the weekend.  

Nice pics chicksta, is the last one the outdoor variety of the Derny race from the Six Days Cycling events?

Great win at the 800 Scott - I like the "working very hard face" on the Strava pic.

How is the taper going AWC?  

Recovery run (5 miles) this morning on moody legs.  Not especially looking forward to this week's training due to the heat but I will tick off each day as it comes.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Gosh that is early chicksta, great long run. I enjoyed the IM photos and had the same drafting thoughts as HA. 

Superb longs runs from HA and Hazel too. They are racking up on the thread now. 

Hard luck John. Cracking route for it though. 

Incredible work at the L100 Macca. Nonchalance at its most impressive! Unbelievable elevation stats and wow that must be hard work through he night(s). Absolutely stunning place for it. Well done indeed. 

Great racing Scott! And solid celebration photo. Grrr come on!

Solid enough long run for me yesterday: 21M at 7:35s. Nice to have a change in weather. Didn’t mind the heavy rain, but my goodness was it windy. Genuinely hard work when running directly into it. Rounded off my biggest week since March, 78M. Unsurprisingly slow recovery followed this morning. 

Need to to think about now targetting some long runs with sections of MP. 
  • Chicksta - nice pics. I knew the swim had been cancelled, would've played to my strengths nicely. Nice work with the early long run + HA, SQ & Hazel also.

Sorry to hear you got unlucky with the conditions again John, you're due some luck very soon! Still a great run though.

Macca - absolutely superb as ever, you're a living legend.

Scott - congrats on the win, the hard work and training really paying off now.

I went for my first run in 2 weeks yesterday. 3 miles @ 8mm. Leg seemed absolutely fine, I'm rather impressed that I've managed to be so restrained. Our club have got 15 teams entered into the 3 x 1 mile relays at Battersea Park tonight. Going to turn up and see how I feel in the warm up; will either jog around or give it a bash; not expecting to feel too sharp though!

In other news, Katie has written an alternative race report on Ironman UK and it's much better than the rubbish I produce;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/ironman-uk-the-improved-version-a-view-from-the-inside-by-katie-lysons/

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Haha enjoyed that  :D
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Macca, just awesome. That's a proper run.

Great win Scott.

Glad the leg felt ok Joe. You're mad if you race tonight but we know that already. Will catch up on the alternative report tomorrow.

7.5 mile tempo today which went pretty well.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Joe: Katie is such a gem. Brilliant blog. Hope the leg holds up. Can't quite get my head around you racing tonight though ...

My goodness, Macca. That's some proper long race. Epic. How are you feeling now?

Congrats on a tough 800 win, Scott.

Great long run, SQ. I'm checking my app every couple of hours but no change in weather here. 35 degrees again today :(

Hope your legs are less moody today, Hazel.

Did my 15 mile MLR yesterday and another 11 today. Looks like my body has finally succumbed to the heat and has started to cooperate a bit better.
  • As long as you get the runs done Hazel, if you need to drop the pace due to the heat then so be it

Solid long run SQ, especially considering the wind

Strong couple of days mileage chicksta!

Great news that no pain on the test run Joe  :)

30 mins recovery yesterday, group session tonight.

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Nice tempo HA and cracking mileage chicktsa. 

9M easy this morn. Started with the wife on the hill having driven up, and then got the downhill for free on the way home. 
  • Really logging the miles Chicksta, nice work. 

Good to see you getting back into it HA.

SQ - sounds like my kind of run. 

So I had a crack at the mile last night, was just a fun event with our club fielding 16 teams of 3 so a great turnout.

Wasn't expecting miracles and that's exactly how it played out; 5:16 which is probably a lot slower than I should be capable of. I guess 2 weeks of no running and putting on a bit of weight doesn't prepare you well to run a flat out mile :D

Katie had a stormer, nearly beat me running a 5:30. She's getting faster.. 

• Sounds like cheating that run SQ ;)

Still a quick mile Joe, looks like you're starting to ramp things up again

Brutal session last night of 2 sets of 4 x 300m (75s) with 15min between sets. At 800m pace. Times were:

43/ 45.7/44.1/ 44.6 (average 44.35)

42.8/44.3/44.1/47.3 (average 44.6)

Pretty happy with those, legs absolutely battered for the 30mins easy this morning