Blood in urine

After my run at the weekend (in very humid weather) I noticed bright red blood in my urine (completely painless) it ran completely clear a couple of hours later when I next went for a pee and has not returned since. I went to see my GP the following day who took a sample and has arranged blood tests and a referral to a urologist. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar after a run? I went on a long run the day before and did not hydrate well (was very thirsty afterwards) I rehydrated for the rest of the day but went out for a run the following morning without drinking after getting up (did take water with me) the blood was passed right after this run. I have read that running on an empty bladder can cause problems? Felt no pain or discomfort otherwise so am slightly concerned.

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's not uncommon but you've done the right thing to just get it checked out.  It's never happened to me but I have also heard that running on an empty bladder can be one of the causes.

I'm sure you'll get the all clear but not a good idea to go out for a run without having a drink first.  The body is always slightly dehydrated first thing in the morning anyway.  I always have a coffee or tea and at least 2 generous glasses of water before my morning run, sometimes more, but I don't take a drink out with me unless I'm running over 12 miles.