Saturday 4th August 2018 We've been broken down to the lowest turn

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: We've been broken down to the lowest turn
Bein' on the bottom line sure ain't no fun

What: hopefully a walk with some running thrown in the mix

Why: what I had hoped to do yesterday. Onwards and upwards, I hope.

Have a good day!
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your walk/run alehouse.

On the ferry to Dunoon for the half marathon.  Dreich day, drizzle and mist with a breeze which will affect the first half of the race.

Didn't want to waste my entry.  And my sister and niece will be there.

Lyrics, nope.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Don. Wish we had your weather...

Loved the report, wabo. Well raced.

Fingers crossed for you, ale.

I got up at poppy o'clock today. Out the door at 4am for my LSR. 22 degrees and the first hour in the dark but at least I escaped the worst of the heat. I'm so going for a nap this afternoon ;)

What: 22 miles
    Why: getting marathon fit
    Last hard: realising I've covered over 70 miles this week... Gotta be careful
    Last rest: 21/6
    Lyrics: yes and damn right
  • Morning

Good luck Don watch that achilles! your weather sounds perfect and unusual for a race on  a Saturday?

Wabo: Great race report well done:-)

Chick: I like it Poppy o'clock...LOL did you use a head or chest torch in the dark? well done on 22 miles that is a long way how long does it take you? Too right you will need a nap:-)
    70 miles is a great distance but be careful you do not want to be injured before your race.

I got up late felt awful and looked like a 2nd rest day so  had breakfast 3 mugs of coffee and felt a lot better so was just going out to try a run maybe a mile as felt sick.I  always run on just a banana.

What: 5.25 miles
    Why: Because I could
    Last hard: Getting out of bed and feeling ill
    Last rest: 3/8
    Lyrics: yes

My fastest run in ages and just shows that 2 very very slow runs were a sign something lingering along with a very low HR.Achilles also stopped grumbling but that I think was a rest yesterday and on the woods route I walk 1/4 mile to starting point and the other route is hilly and starts straight out the door.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning (just - forgot to post earlier).

Yesterday's lyrics - Wake Up Boo! by The Boo Radley's.

I hope it went ok today Alehouse.

That's dedication chicksta! If you are managing the miles ok then I'd just go with it. You are sensible enough to back off if you feel you need to.

Glad you felt well enough to get a run in today Poppy.
    Race well Donaldo.

What:            short and easy
    Why:             Saturday usually is
    Last hard:     keeping the miles down this week
    Last rest:      12/6

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well done Wabo, nice report, 
    Very keen Chick!
    Race well Don

What - track session 10*400s at mile pace off 75s recoveries
    Why - It's what my coach told me to do
    last rest - weeks
    last hard - this morning. Really struggled to hit the right pace and the last 3 or 4 were very painful. Averaged 73s so just 1s over 5:30 mile pace but really had nothing at the end. 
    That's why we do it, right?

lyric- think I do
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Well done, Dustin. I have no mile pace ;) I can run slow and a little less slow, but not fast.

Brilliant, poppy. Sort of a mini taper for you leading to a fast run. Coffee is my morning drug too. When I was younger I could run straight out of bed. These days I need half an hour with a mug of rocket fuel. My run took me 3:15 - usual "I could go on like this forever plod pace"

There's street lights where I live so I ran on a well lit cycle path by the road before day broke and then hit the disused railway line where I normally run in daylight. No head torch required and I feel safer that way. I'd be scared out there in the dark. There's wild boar around and apparently wolves as well. Sheep farmers are complaining about losses.

Nicest thing i saw today was a kingfisher. Hope stickless is alright.
  • 10 mile coastal run with others
    Kill or Cure for back (did neither)
    Last hard: last 3 miles of today
    lyrics: no idea
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Dunoon Half.

It's been a strange and unhealthy summer and my running has been a bit 'bitty' with some promising signs of late but with a bit of weight on due to excess eating and drinking, I wasn't sure how I would do.

I set off at a steady pace, careful not to get drawn into any early races.  There was a clear leader then 2 groups of 10 or so then one guy about 10 yards ahead and another 5 yards behind.  Probably about 23rd position for the first 5 miles, steady as she goes at about 6:50 pace.  I started working a bit harder at 5 miles, the guy behind had overtaken me but as.soon as he passed the chap ahead, I did the same.  He then moved away bit I steadily started drawing other runners closer despite them being a good 200 yards ahead at one point.  At the turn, the light winds would be behind but the sun came out and it was very warm and humid.  Swings and roundabouts.  I kept passing people, one by one, and reeled in the guy who was initially behind me with 1.5 miles left.  There was still time to catch another and a sprint finish put him to the sword.

15th place, 1:29:28

Pleased with steady pace, with fastest mile 6:40 and slowest 6:56.  Pleased with how my heel area felt throughout and it seems fine tonight too.  All in all, time to get this show on the road and ready for cross country in October.

Some great running today folks, chicksta, nice 22.  Dustin, good session and well done on the pace,poppy.  
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon, or evening to some!

Well done Don! Indeed it is time to get the show on the road here as well!

Dustin: can you check your 400s please? 73s is sub 5, surely? I used to do 5 x a mile trying to hit 72 like clockwork for 4:48s! 

Great 22, Chick! When do you get a cutback week? Good running from others, also. 

What: ended up being a short walk but did break out into a short couple of runs (400, 900) with no particular discomfort. 

Why: stopped because I suddenly decided to be cautious. Possibly over-cautious!

Great win for England in the cricket: wonder if Emz was there.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.