Saturday 25th August 2018 - Everything is open

Morning.

Lyrics - Everything is open

Nothing is set in stone

It's getting positively chilly in the mornings and evenings - I felt the need for porridge for breakfast today 
:( I hope we get a warmer September.

What:            short and easy or a MLR, will see how I feel once I'm running
Why:             will be time limited tomorrow as have the in laws coming for lunch
Last hard:     putting my socks on is still hard
Last rest:      19/8
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning! 

Chilly here too: 9 degrees at present. Has rained most of the night and looks like it is going to do so again shortly.

Yesterday's lyrics were, "Walkin' back to happiness", Helen Shapiro. Don't know today's. 

What: gentle parkrun

Why: long run for the week?

Back later.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

I felt a nip in the air as I got up this morning 11 degrees
    I just watched the LCW fab views of Tenby and Pembrokeshire:-)

Enjoy the parkruns this morning and hope it stays dry.

What: Crunches if I remember I forgot yesterday

Why: Because I can

Last hard: Broken Foot

Lyrics: Nope
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Morning all, was in at work until 1 a.m. last night, dealing with an incident, that's the downside of boarding school life!  

Have had a few days off, was hoping to parkrun today but work put paid to that.  Heading over again now to tie up a few loose ends and will try to get out on the roads later.  

Lyrics, nope.

Have a good day! 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Sorry to hear about the unpaid overtime, Don! Hope you get out later!

What: parkrun. Turned out to be faster than intended and harder work than intended. 

Why: 25:17 with km splits at 5.19, 5.11, 5.07, 4.54, 4.46. The fourth one was down to Emz! I started to struggle just after the 3k mark which is exactly where Emz started to find it tough when we ran this course together last year. No-one passed me after the first k and I gradually reeled people in. Stomach was sore from around 3k and Achilles sore in the last k: need to work on both of these! The knee niggle and sore back were totally absent, on the other hand!

So about a minute quicker than the last two weeks...but this course is probably about a minute quicker than the last two. Need to gradually buckle down to some training and to losing some weight.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Holy shit, ale - that's bloody brilliant :+1:. My splits would have been the other way round :D

Hope you manage a run later, Don.

Did your run go well, LMH?

Perhaps good you gave them abs a rest yesterday, poppy.

Lovely chilly morning here as well. Oh, I like that so much more than the stupid heat. 12 degrees and some drizzle. Perfect.

What: 9 miles
    Why: wanted to
    Last hard: time constraints - would have loved to run longer
    Last rest: 21/6
    Lyrics: no
  • Technical term Chicksta! Great running Ale- so glad it was gentle :-). Glad to see a buoyant thread this morning. Hope you get out later Donaldo. Cruch away WP
    Busy morning with set up at Lydney then run/takedown and run report to do. Whizzed over to Chepstow to pick up number fpr tomorrow and popped back for tkd. All good fun. Debating tomorrow as had a bad night on Thursday so if running will probably drop to circa 2 hour pace just in case.
    What: Sedate 25.35 parkrun
    Why: See above
    Last hard: Getting back to Monmouth in time for tae kwon do!
    Last Rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: Not sure so nope
  • I hope everything is settled today and you can get out Donaldo.

I think you forgot the slow part Alehouse!

I don't think a day off the crunchies will have hurt Poppy.

Too chilly for me chicksta but it brightened up a bit for my run. I think my back is still affecting things as it takes about four miles for me to loosen up and start running at my usual pace, it's definitely better than it was but a long way from as good as it gets.

Now tell me people - am I using my back as an excuse to avoid the gym or am I being sensible? I think that as it objects to bending and twisting going and doing my little gym routine is likely to upset it further but as we all know I don't actually enjoy going to the gym so I just wanted to check what people think.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Yes, forgot the gentle bit this morning! Hope it won't come back to bite me: Achilles not happy. Back complained after the run, despite me saying that I didn't feel it. 

LMH: I think you need to do a lot of the twisting and bending to strengthen the back but this may well come from the D-I-Y work you are doing! It is about getting the balance right; trying to use both arms equally will also help, which I find difficult these days. At one time I could throw and bowl equally well (or badly some would say) with both, but now very right handed in everything I do. 

Sensible parkrun this morning, SC! Enjoy tomorrow, however you decide to run it. 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I managed out for a 5 mile run with two fast bits, including a segment record someone had nabbed off me last week.  

Nice running ale and SC.
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What: Bis Geos 12 mile run
    Why: *weekend event*
    Last hard: yesterday's loosener
    Lyrics: no

Tough undulating 12 miles into 20mph headwind all the way. Heavy showers immediately coming off ferry but dry and sunny throughout run. 2h03. Feet ok and able to run whole distance without sole pain.
    Beer, BBQ, cake, coffee, views and great company at finish. Chilling in b+b before evening ceilidh and buffet.
    A lot more enjoyable than last two road races :)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great day, OH! Did Els run?
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    She did ... I was ahead of her until 8 miles :(
    1h 59 for her
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Els!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Ale, and another classic run OH, and Els too!
    LmH - what Ale said about gym work. If you're doing bits of DIY you'll be getting plenty of related work done too.

What - track this morning: 12x300s off 60s
    Not quite on the pace but given it was touch and go at several points about seeing breakfast again, I can't say I wasn't trying.
    Splits: 65, 63,63,61,62,62,62,61,63,63,63,61 - was ideally after 61s (5:30 mile). 

Why - speed work
    last rest - last Tuesday
    last hard - from rep 3 onwards...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Evening, have to say padel tennis was amazing last night! Loved it
    Nice work this morning Dustin
    Well run oh and els, sounds a tough one! 
    Donaldo got to love having a segment record back! Well done
    Lmh you don't seem like you'd make excuses so I think you're probably doing the right thing not going gym. You know your body best
    Nice sensible park run SC
    Alehouse! Nice park run well done hope all feels ok
     I posted on FB that I fancied a course pb at my local park run, it would mean getting my fastest park run this year. After 1.40 padel tennis and getting soaked I thought no chance. BUT, funny thing happened. I set off at a better pace than i usually would and kept sight of the 27min pace man. Came in at 28.29, 12 secs quicker than my course best . Fastest this year. Really happy because I really did work for it, something I'm not always good at. 
    What see above
    Why Saturday nothing
    Last hard that and cutting my grass today
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Off for spa day tomorrow with my daughter. But will do a mile on treadmill, possibly weights class,30 mins. Swim. Treatments. Sauna, nice. 
    Have a good Sunday
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Padel tennis. Short handled racket, played in doubles. Short court with perspex at the back and round the sides which you can play off. It's an underhand serve. Very fast game, scores same as tennis. 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I got into trouble for the :( above!