Readjust half marathon target after bad 5k race?

Hi all, 

I’ve been training for a marathon (end sept) and so far I’ve had a great training block. During this week, I had a pretty poor 5km race (Thursday, 1 min slower than I expected; a hilly course I did in 22.26; 5k flat pb is 21.10). Hard to say why I did so poorly (late night with work stress, rammed course, bad pacing), but I really tried and I feel I was way off.

i am doing a flat half marathon on Sunday.I was aiming to try to do 1.40. Would you readjust this after having such a dismal 5k or go for it anyway? 

Comments

• No, stick with the plan. Your time over a hilly course is not going to be as good as on a flat course, so don't agonise about it. And really, there's a lot of difference (a whole 10 miles of difference) between the two distances - if you've been marathon training, you'll be primed for distance, so you should be able to give the half your all.
  • Thanks so much for the response Cal. Getting ready to go the start line now......exccciiiting!
  • Let us know how you got on!
  • Oh Cal, it was not good. I managed about 8km feeling comfortable at goal pace, then started a steady decline. Held on until about 15km, before my pace really dropped (headwind didn’t help, but still!). I had a friend there to pace me too, and I really tried, but ended up 5 mins off my target time. 

My heart rate was highest I’ve ever had in a longer race (172, max is 183) about 10beats faster on average than my half from last year (which was hilly & same pace, but obviously I paced it better!).

it’s very tough to know what’s going on - my training has been hard, but I’ve loved it. I haven’t missed a session (even did some 28km on a treadmill cause  - with work travel I was somewhere I couldn’t head outside). Just to say that I’ve been very motivated and no other signs of over training.

had iron levels checked at doc on Monday - my hemoglobin is outside cut off (but only just a little too low). Serum ferritin is normal. 

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Were you rested for the half or did you go into it off the back of a big block of training?  Don't underestimate the effect fatigue has on performance.
  • I tapered for a week before I did the 5k race (Thursday) and then half on the Sunday. Maybe fatigue, not enough tapering, but I didn’t go in straight off a high volume/ hard week. I think it would be clearer to me if i did that.

I’ve only been running “properly”,  as in training for races and not just out for a jog, for the last two years, so I kind of expect that I should be able to improve lots...but is it possible that you just don’t respond/improve fitness in a given cycle?
  • Hey Christine, sorry you didn't have a good race (although I'd be thrilled with a 1:45 half, especially after two years of running. It took me two years of racing and 13 half marathons to break two hours!) It sounds as if you are under-recovered, but it's possible you are just expecting too much of yourself at this stage. Improvements rarely happen in a linear fashion but come in a series of peaks and troughs.

We all have rough patches. For my first two years and a half of racing (and note, I am a lot slower than you) I made steady improvements and my PBs kept coming down. But then I had an awful summer where my times went to hell, followed by an autumn laid up with an injury. But I've come back stronger this year - I actually think the injury did me some good in that it forced me to take a breather after a lot of racing with little let-up. Perhaps you also need a break.
  • Yea, I guess I havent heard of many people who do their first half marathon (1.45) with little consistent training, with only a few long runs up to 10 miles. Then do consistent training for a few years, make lots of progress in other distances (21 5k, 45 10k), only to hit the same half marathon time! 

Thanks so so much for taking the time to respond. I think the under recovery point might be the key!