big girls run too!

Comments

• You should see my abs!!!!! There's so much muscle it actually wobbles!!!
  • oh i'm so happy to see lots of people have posted overnight.

Re, if you're too skinny to join or not? Well if you think you're too big, then you're in! It's all relative isn't it? Personally, when i get to size 14-16 then i will be ecstatic, (did you notice i said when, not if) but for some people that's way way too big.

And as for the men who love us, well keep posting as we do love to be flattered!
  • has anyone noticed, the more fat you lose, the more visable the cellulite becomes?! or am i a freak of nature!?
  • Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    Hey Chunks whats all this plodder at 10 min
    miles. I'd never keep up with you.
  • Marion, that's only because I can now actually see it!
  • Thanks HG,
    I think I've been looking at too many of the other forums as everybody else seems to be flying along, or so they say.
    Good to hear from NORMAL people.
  • Hi girls...and the few lurking lads that are here......I weighed in at a massive 16st 4lbs at my heaviest and I dread to think what size I was - I used to make my clothes to avoid finding out!!!!

Now I am a much happier 11st 11.5lbs (or at least I was a few days ago before I rediscovered chocolate and cakes...oooppss!). Still want to get to 11st. Am now a size 12 up top and 14 below (always was botom heavy.....sure its all those running muscles!!!!!!

I started running last year and have done one 10k race at just over 60 mins last year.....got another coming up in a couple of weeks. Doing GNR this year - any time under 2.5 hrs will be fine for me!!! :o)
  • did you lose your weight running? or like me did you start running after losing the first couple of stones?

• I'm happy with my size and so is the Mr.
  • Lost most of it cause I went to live in Indonesia and the girls there are so skinny and the weather is so hot you don't feel so much like eating......certainly lost my craving for chocolate and cakes!!

But when I came back I gained weight again. Went from where I am now back up to about 13.5st - so then lost some of my weight - probably down to about 13st - then lost the rest with the help of running. I used to run very early in the morning cause I didn't want anyone to see me!!

Even though I'm probably not really fat anymore I will always believe that I am fat ugly and boring!!!!!! Particularly when I'm miserable and drunk!!!!
  • Of course, you are all welcome on Porkers of the World (Porkworld):
    you have to have a BMI of over 25 or apply for asylum at the sole discretion of our esteemed leader Fat Buddha...
    We encourage people who want to lose weight...we encourage people who don't want to lose weight

Here endeth the advert

Crashie (BMI 26.something)
  • Hi Marion

firstly apologies for my weird separate thread - bit of a cockup ignore it..

secondly - re my walk running - started with 90secs walk 30secs run back in sept 03 but then abandoned running for a while due to colds and xmas
    restarted in jan with just cylcing and swimming on advice of coach no running to avoid worsening knee probs
    he then advised purely brisk walking for 45mins which didn't seem like much till i checked my heart rate with a HRM and found it was doing me plenty good

however got frustrated with walking due to entering myself into 10k for 3 may

now run when i feel i can and stop when i feel i can't - i reckon i run mainly about 1min at a time and then walk till i feel better . i try and make a deliberate effort to run up hills though!
    i had stoppped counting really and just following my body but i think it's too slow so i am going to try and do 1min:1min run walk today and see how i manage
    i will probably go for a shorter distance but a faster pace for a few days and alternate with slow long days and see if that increases my fitness

my main prob is knees and ankles start to hurt way before my breath gives out
    and i am trying not to blow them completely

if i had new knees , i'd probably be running for 10mins or so by now!

actually lately my knees and ankles are ok , especially on softer surfaces, but i find i get a kind of ahce in my calves and not sure if i should run through that or not
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Former Porker now happily living under asylum laws in Porkworld.

Um - I feel I have to say that it was a formerly overweight MAN, on these forums, who inspired and encouraged me (quite passively, but that works for me) to lose two and a half stone and keep r*nning.

And there are lots of men here now who are fighting a successful battle with lard. And many more who need just as much encouragement as the girlies.

[climbs down from li'l soapbox and tucks it behind sofa]

Well done to ALL of you who have lost weight, or are still trying.

:o)

(I could still do with another 7-14 pounds going, but I'm not in a hurry).
  • All men are welcome to this thread too, but i think the porkers thread is a more unsexist one i will admit!

Really we want to get to know one another and compare problems like sports bras, finding kit that fits well and chocolate. But not necesarily in that order!

No-one should feel excluded from any of the RW forums so please join in.

• Chunks - i dream of the day i do 10 minute miling (currently 11 1/2 - 12)

gt - the run/walk schedule DOES WORK, so keep at it.

i also gained weight when i started running, have lost a few pounds BUT have gained a whole lot of self confidence so i';m not that bothered by my weight, clothes fit better etc etc and i have much more energy due to running. Still same old size though. but the Hips/thighs have got hippier/bigger coz of running.

Thats my excuse anyhow ¦oD
  • I don't have a prblem with sports bars as I don't have enough to worry about supporting - but I do have a problem with wearing a heart rate monitor and a sports bra - bloody uncomfy!! - any help with this anyone?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I just wear my monitor strap a couple of inches lower than my bra, Poca.
  • Hi Everyone! only just found you :D.

Ok.. I'm 32, SAHM and now approved as foster carer but no foster placement as yet (2 weeks and counting).
    Mum of 1 5 yr old, and 1 yr old norfolk terrier. :D

Started running about 6 weeks ago and went from 30 seconds to 43 min 5k.

Weight lost since 17th Dec 2003 24lbs, still to lose about another 50 - 60lb. Weight lost since running: Nil !
    Dunno why but am figuring the fitter I get the better and when the weight wants to come off it will.

Am also doing 2 hrs aerobics a week so am feeling MUCH fitter than at the beginning of the year. :D

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    PH you've probably heard or read it before, but don't worry about the weight loss stopping when you started running. All things being equal it's likely to be the fact that you're replacing fat with muscle, which is heavier per cubic inch.

Measuring tapes, not weighing scales, will soon make you realise that running IS good for you.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    <peeks in nervously, being 5' 10" and just under 11 stone>

Just wanted to say hellooooo ladeez and give you an old Russian saying:

"There should be plenty of a good person".

<and wanders away again>
  • Marion Heeps,

You and I are so alike! :D My self esteem has been the best thing to improve along with my fitness level. I still can't quite believe I can RUN and for a full 3.1 miles!

I am still fluctuating between 14.5 and 14.11 lbs but am really not freaked by the fact that I haven't lost since starting to run. To the extent that I have come off atkins and am simply watching what I eat now. I figure if I watch my cal's approx and exercise one day my body will figure it's safe to drop the weight. :D

It's nice to be able to buy some of my clothes in 'normal' shops rather than Evans. ;) I've gone from a 22-24 down to a 16-20 depending where I shop :D. I have no jeans at the moment though as I am waiting till I can buy an 18!

I've a race pack for my first 5k in July (hemel hempstead) and am going to apply for the Flora Light Hyde Park 5k in Sept.
  • Thanks JJ I must admit it bothered me the first couple of weeks but not now. :D If I stayed this weight and can still get fitter from here I'll be happy. Honestly, I'm smaller than I was, and that is fantastic.
    I was around this weight for a couple of years after DD was born and figure ur body 'remembers' weights it was at for a while. So maybe it's just my body thinking it wants to stay here! :D

I'm def getting more toned and am even losing a bit of my 'rub together' thighs :D hehe u prob don't need to read that, but some other ladies will likely understand where I'm coming from! :D
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    You've done brilliantly, PH.

One of the several life-changing bits of advice I got was "concentrate on your fitness and the weight loss will follow".

that proved to be so, so true.
  • Thats great to read JJ ! :D Well done you, and may I soon follow in ur path ;). hehe

• I started to dabble with running nearly three years ago as a fat 12st 7. I am now 13st 4 with a BMI of 26, but I can get into pairs of trousers that were once beyond me. An awful lot of the lard is now muscle, but I'll never be a skinny whippet. I AM a bloke, but I guess the same thing applies to both sexes...

(I'm disabling emails and going away now)
  • i am also bothered that i haven't lost any weight since started running 4-5 weeks ago. However i am chilling out about it now and i assume it will happen when my bodies ready for it.

• Marion

Have you checked your body composition? You've probably burnt alot of the wobbly stuff, and gained a bit of the more dense stuff. If so, it's all good!

I love that new Dove advert!
  • another quick advert (if porkers can do it so can i)

if you are actively trying to lose weight then come and register on "the counts diet support thread"

M (9lbs lost so far - 12lbs to go)
  • I guess none of us are alone in this then! :D Thats' good to know at least.
  • Hi Multi

<M goes away and checks body composition>

seems to be mostly chinese food and white wine at the moment.....