big girls run too!

Comments

• well, i can't advocate taking drugs to inhance your performance LoK........ but well done on taking that red pill!!!!

hers a message from my 3 year old who had a nap at nursery this afternoon so is not in bed yet

u8yyyyyy 7t6rrrrrrrrr

KBO HHHH,JLKJ'P';'

good night folkies, this girl is off to bed now
  • i promised her a quick turn of the cbeebies website before bed, so see you later!
  • pezza
    that's handy then if i need any charts doing.. am still perusing the ppt you sent me - so much stuff to chew on there!
    and thanks for all the encouragement and advice
    not running last couple of days due to childcare commitments/work/life in general
    hopefully out tomorrow though - itching to go now

purple -
    coolrunning.com is ..well...really cool!
    love it when i pick up great links from this forum
    i like the stories there about
    a) women beating men in the 100K and
    b) the inspiration of the 7 marathons in 7 days thing - fiennes and all

• hi trinity1

welcome to the thread.

Saw your post about feeling demotivated lately. Hope you are feeling a bit more positive now.

• hi T1
    glad you are still around

you can chill here
    we are non-judgemental and of like mind as regards weight

LoK
  • Marion
    oh yes ..the dreaded cbeebies website before bed...it was taking over from book before bed in our house...and i could never get him to come off it!!

say hi to your little girl
    my boy would be itching to play if you lived near i am sure!

actually, am assuming everyone is miles away (apart from Pezza!) but which area DO you live in ?

• I live in Hemel Hempstead, Herts. And have a just turned 5 year old daughter who loves playing ;) if anyones near!

Welcome T1! :D

Have been up the allotment digging this morning (finger nails show evidence) and planting seedling brussel sprouts, am hoping they will survive under the bottle cloches. It's our first year, so might not manage to grow anything but have potatoes and garlic already in. Sweet peppers and numerous tomatoes awaiting in the wings so to speak. :D

Am planning (if my bottle holds out) on attending the running club meet this evening... am REALLY nervous! so might not make it.. I take a lot of persuading and time building up the courage for stuff like that.

If I don't make it then today will be a rest day and I'll run tomorrow.
  • Has Wolfy changed her name to Wolfy the bitchy Wally yet? Was looking forward to it.

:(
  • Trinity, I had almost exactly the same scenario some years back and was caught in exactly the same catch 22 loop. My problem was tears in my plantar fascia, caused and exacerbated by my extra weight, and the only cure was to rest completely and simultaneously miraculously lose weight! I eventually got around that one by getting custom orthotics which fixed me up perfectly. I know yours is a different injury but could you not get your physio to advise you on what you can do to allow you to run yourself without pain until the weight comes down?
  • eh? she told me, she did!!!

>>goes to sit on naughty step<<
  • Hi everyone,

another newbie here...hope you don't mind if I join in.

I am 37, 5'4 and 11.12 (well, that was first thing this morning...stark and after a visit to the loo!!) I was at my highest (non pregnant) weight this time two years ago at 13.3 and with the help of WW got down to about 12 stone over the course of about a year and then maintained it at that until last Autumn.

At this time I was in WW a couple of weeks again and decided to change gyms from my old cheap and cheerful to a newer one with better opening hours. My problem with the old one was that they didn't open early in the morning so the week my husband was on lates I didn't get to go at all....and then couldn't motivate myself to go the week I COULD go!!!

Since then I have been going regularly 4 times or so per week and doing Pilates once a week (that was another reason I changed gyms).

I am definitely not a natural runner although I was always quite flexible (did some gymnastics and then coached up until recently) but anything that involved running saw me at the back of the pack...and purple in the face.

Shortly after joining this gym I took part in a Challenge and one of things I had to do was clock up 10 miles on the treadmill...this was a week when himself was working lates so I either had to run or not get through the challenge....and I stunned myself by not only getting through it with a day to spare but I also enjoyed it.

Now I do most of my cardio on the treadmill and managed 3 miles in 30 minutes for the first time a couple of days ago....mind you, I was absolutely wiped after it...but really chuffed. I still haven't taken the plunge to going outdoors...being a big girl I'd die of embarrassment if anyone saw me.

Sorry, this is getting way to long (see, I'm Irish - I just LOVE to talk!!!) I've loads more to say but I'll keep it for a later post!!

Thanks for listening and for all the helpful hints I've read so far before posting.

Take care all and enjoy!!

Den
  • now i'm confused.....

trin i'm not sure there's an easy answer for this one. my knees don't like the impact stuff much and increasing mileage for me last year involved a knee ligament strain and a stress fracture.

these days i try and swim if i can't run, cycle if i have to and try not to do any classes which are likely to exacerbate any impact injuries (aerobics, step etc)
  • sorry denise - a x-posting there - i didn't mean i was confused at you!!!!
  • trin
    i have same prob - seems like knees and ankles do get stronger but only if i increase distance very gradually

denise hi!
    come on outside - no need to be shy , there are loads of us tubbies and i calc your bmi at 28.5 so you're actually barely overweight in my view - if i saw you would probably ogle you with jealousy (my bmi 36) and i'm outside all of the time
    and 3 miles in 30 mins is great!
  • yeh denisre
    10 min miling is fast, and you are thinner than me

i must be lucky with my joints
    or shoes
    or summat
    maybe im built to last
  • I've found Pilates helps the joints - not the floor work that's really hard but on the machine. I've noticed a big difference in my ankles, much stronger - got hacked to pieces when used to play hockey at school.
    Knees still get sore after I've been out for longer than 40minutes thou.
  • Evening ladeez.

better late than never eh.

Hope everyone's well.

Hi to denise, welcome to the thread!!

I'm scottish (from near Aberdeen BTW), you're irish, plenty english, any welsh peeps here too? We are so nondiscriminatory we are postively multi racial!!!!

• I used to be welsh

sob
  • Trin,

re your sore knees....

would it help your pace/ability if you tried the treadmill for a while instead of the streets?

Maybe you have done that already.

Might just be enough to take the extra stress off the knees while still allowing you to improve. (To be honest you sound enviably good already but if you feel you need to improve then that's what counts)

Denise,

on the same point but reversed, be careful not to leave it too long before hitting the streets as the treadmill can lull you into a false sense of running ability.

3 miles in 30 mins is fantastic but don't expect to be able to do that the first time outside. It's quite a different experience by all accounts. (Coming from the woman who has never really used a treadmill, certainly not in my new running carreer!?)

just reread my post Denise and it sounds very negative, it's not meant to be.... just advise and only my humble opinion......

M
    x
  • plodding hippo........ is this true

"I can put my palms on the floor
    with straight legs" - Quote from Hippo on another thread

i'm outraged...... should you be here? I cant possibly do that with all my middlage... too much bulk for all that malarky.....!

• I have long arms
    im a chimp really
    i have a BMI of 29
  • and fat does not mean you arent flexible

wink
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Hippo!

[shcoked look]

I used to be much more flexible than I am now. :o/

I need to stretch more.
  • OH THANK GOD YOU REPLIED, WE WERE RELEGATED TO THE 2ND PAGE OF THE RECENT REPLIES.....

sorry, shouting!

Is it just me or is it quiet on here?
    I'm still finding it hard to navigate the forums. How do you do it? Different applets for each thread you're interested in? Thinking that might work but not tried it yet.

I am of to try and get my hands on ground, legs straight. Don't think i could do it in these jeans mind you!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I can do the hands flat on the floor thing.
  • (marion scuttles off to try, unbuttoning her jeans first!)