big girls run too!

Comments

• Running, or excercise in general does have a really postive effect on my mood. I think i haven't had a really moody turn for a couple of years, which conincides exactly with how long i've been seriously excercising (2-3 times a week) It definately helps keep me "balanced" mentally!!!

BTW, after 4 mile cycle yesterday, my mum really hurts today!!!! any advice? should i got to the tri thread and ask for tips!!?
  • did i say "mum" meant to say Bum!!!!

perhaps that was some kind of freudian slip! let's not ever analyse that!!!

:-) sorry mum!
  • Sorry hips if you are offended - I don't put my life on hold until I loose weight but sometimes it bothers me more than others, probably just because the hols are looming!!! and I am not comfortable with myself.

Running/exercise definately makes me feel better - my husband says the mornings I run I come back a different person and I know what he means, wish I had went out this morning now.

Meant to be doing 4 mile race tonight but think will just do slow 6 instead.

Why is it always busy on here when I am not about, somebody trying to tell me something?!
  • Have a friend who couldn't exist without her antideppressants til she took up running with me last year. She now off tablets and when she starts to get stressed out her husband throws her out the door for a run.
  • Beautiful evening here tonight. Stinking headache all day but my 5 mile plod soon put paid to that tonight. Feeling much better now. Its good to think that just 5 months ago I couldn't run for more than 2 or 3 mins without walking and this week I have done a 6.5 a 3 and tonights 5 and lots of it was plodding not walking.

Getting there slowly but getting there.
  • Hi speedy - good going! What are you doing for your last long run before Blackpool?

I was out for an hour tonight, very warm and humid here. Planning on doing 8-10 Saturday then a couple of 30-40 minuters next week. I am getting quite excited even though I am a bit worried, last night when I came back I really didn't think I could have run for another hour, but time will tell!
  • Is this you two planning for the blackpool half?! I'm so proud of you, it just seems phenomenal that you've made so much progress Tangerine, but i suppose you were a runner before and they say it never leaves you really. You're lving proof of that!

Is it this weekend?
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    ohh hi girls, i love the look of this thread!! rebecca 32 5 6 size 14
    can you hwlp me find some races that are for plodders, and ones where i wont end up coming in after the race organisers have packed away!!! tee hee am 10 min miling ish
  • rjh, 10 minutes miles seem pretty admirable to me!!!Welcome to the thread!!
  • 10 min miles r blooming fab! Fastest I'v managed in a 10k is 9.5min miles and I'm damn proud of myself. Did the Britannic Asset Womens 10K and took almost 5 mins off last years time was over the moon.

Every now and then I reminisce about my 1st ever run about a year & half ago where I thought I was going to die in the 2.5 mins it took me to run from my front door to the end of my street. That reminds me of just how far I'v come.
  • Good Luck to you lot doing the Blackpool Half. I made the mistake of entering Great Scottish Run 10k in advance thinking there was no chance I'd be ready for the half this year. I'm kicking myself now cos I'm up to 21k in my long run at the weekend now and could do the half in september no probs.

Might still do it anyway. Or there is another half marathon not too far from me at begin of nxt year. That would give me time to convince my friend that she could manage that one too, she's not quite as addicted as me and could take some cinvincing. ;-)
  • Excuse me girls, i've been getting my Speedy G's and Tangerine Twirly's mixed up as to who's doing the Blackpool Half and who's not!!!

What date is it Cotty and Speedy G??

Tangerine, 21k??? in your long runs? That's just amazing, save me doing the mathsis that about 13miles?

• had to go to google to work that one out not very good at this miles stuff. But yeah 13 miles, there is a manmade loch near me and my friend and I spend our sat morns running round in circles round this loch it's 3km each circuit so she usually stops about 4 circuits and I just keep goin. Max I used to do was 10k but just started keeping a chart of my runs and increasing my mileage 10% every week and b4 you know it you can keep on running for ages.

Once you get passed about 7k your muscles are well warmed up and relaxed and you feel like you could go forever, but eventually the knees start to ache and you realise it's time for a stretch and a relaxing day on the couch with an old movie.
  • i hate going round in circles so 4-5 times round a loch would be my idea of hell!

i live in a small village and 5 minutes from anywhere there are no street lights etc, so circuits are sometimes unavoidable.

I'd much rather be taken out by car for a few miles and told to run home!!

There is one long straight leading to a crossroads near my house which is a perfect 1 mile point to point, which i regularly use as the basis for my 2 miler. (But 2 miles is paltry compared to some of the distances you guys are running, but i guess it's all relative!)

Does anyone else have any feelings on where they run, i personally hate passing the same point twice! the first time i pass it my brain wants me to stop y'see!
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    blimey some of you gals on here really do clock up the miles dont you, we have a few res'rs just at the top of our road, walked round a 5 mile one today with my son on my beack, ohh he is a bundle of heavy gorgoeusness and by the end my legs were saying get back home get back home! usaually run 2ce somethimes if we are good 3 times per week, started 2-3 miles per session now 3-5 per session. we have been running since october last year so our mileage increase has been slow!!, we did only uised to run one day per week in the old days though!!
  • Hi folks. No run tonight just did a 3 mile walk up the hill to the forest and back down.

Blackpool is on 19 June. Was hoping to try a 10 miler before then but as I think I am going camping this weekend that will be out the window because we will go hill walking. I need to get the walking and cycling up a bit as I am doing the corrie challenage on 2 July which is a 17 mile hill walk followed by a 26 mile cycle.

Going to be really slow at Blackpool and really want to try get under 3 hrs which is going to be hard as I can do the milage I am just very very slow.

Cotty are you staying in Blackpool Sat night. If so where? What time are you planning to finish in?

• 2-3 miles, 2-3 times a week is really about my max rjh. Would like to up my miles some time, and have done more on one-off occaisions (i.e.last years 10k and training leading up to that)

3 miles seems like my natural distance.
  • Hi all,

Marion I can not do circuits of the same run, in fact if I was trying to do a longer run and had to run past my house to go further I probably would not do it. Where I live there are plenty places to run though without really having to do that.

There is nothing wrong with running 2-3 miles, for years that is all I did, then gradually I increased it. I had never ran in a race until after I had my first daughter and I have run or I should probably say jogged since I was 17, now 37. The only way I started then was to motivate myself to getting fit again.

Has anyone ever had the experience of speaking about running and say that you run and someone looks you up and down and says yes sure you do? At playgroup there is this really skinny mother(the wind could blow her over and she is really up herself, would eat herself if she was made of chocolate) and she has started training for the RFL and all she does is blah, blah about it and I said something about I am not doing that as I want to do the Ythan 10k that day and she just looked at me as if to say - 'you run'?!

Speedy I am not staying in Blackpool the night before, travelling down from Carnforth in the morning about 45-60 minures away. I don't know time wise hopefully 2.30, I have got a sore foot, I need new trainers but only realised too late that was the problem, so too late to start training in new ones. I am hopefully doing 10 on Saturday, but is daughter's birthday, we will see.
  • I had glandular fever b4 xmas and couldn't run for nearly 2 months so when I started back in Jan found it really hard. Took me ages to build up to 30 min run and was really slow. Had to up my speed 0.1mph each week on the treadmill etc until I got back to being able to run half hour in 30 min. So once I got there I just kept applying the same method to keep goin for longer each week. Adding 5 mins on each week. Then your fitness kicks in and it starts to get easier, some weeks at the start I thought I was never goin to run for half an hour ever again.
  • Cotty! i get the "how could you possibly run" looks all the time!! Grrr it really gets my pip!

Went out last night for a 30 minute plod with Rachel my running buddy and found it to be quite good fun actually. First time i've actually enjoyed it for ages. When we got to the point where we had agreed to stop, we'd not reached our 30 minutes mark so we were disciplined enough to keep going round the block again to get to 30 minutes.

I'm so proud of us!

• Can't believe I wrote 'run half an hour in 30 mins' ,I'm a numpty. Run 5K in 30mins I meant to say.

Wow it's warm 2nite. Went out with intention of doing today and tomorrows run in one go so I could be lazy and do nothing tomorrow but didn't work. Was too hot. Should really have waited til later when it cools down a bit but knew I would be in lazy mode by then and wouldn't go out at all.

Got my friend's little girl's 1st communion tomorrow morn and do afterwards. But will just have to run tomorrow evening. I am SO SAD, my exciting Saturday night out is a 7k run round the streets LOL.
  • Cotty,

Is she one of those weirdos who run with there hair all styled and full makeup on and don't sweat AT ALL. Just remind yourself that real running takes sweat, determination and guts and she prob has none of them and bet uv got them in abundance.

;0)
  • I don't sweat too much when i'm running. (well not on my face) but the second i stop it pours off me!

I get such a red face too, it's mega embarrasing.
  • I know i only started running last year to do the RFL, but i have a secret dislike of other women who do the RFL and never run again! is that bad????

it's like i'm a real runner now, and the're just pretending.

(oh i'm going to go to hell for thinking that aren't i?!?!)

• Know what u mean Marion, think exactly the same.

As for the sweating part it's not too bad running outside I just tend to get large patches on my tshirt and my hair gets plastered to my head under my skip cap.
    But when I run in the gym it's pouring off me, running down my face, and i look like i'v wet myself just to make me look all the more attractive.

I ran past a girl tonight who had a luminous red face and did wonder if thats what I looked like too.

;0)
  • Yes tang she is, and I think she only took it up to do the RFL (which isn't a bad thing)- I feel like saying to her go away and try and run 13 miles and see how you feel!?! Mind you I don't feel to great after that either!! I must say I do sweat a lot when running and my face goes scarlet and takes ages to go back to normal.

Day off today, but moved heaps of flooring as joiner has decided he is coming on Monday to take down our old stairs and put the new ones in - stress city here I come!! The kids will have to sleep in the dining room and there is going to be mega dust everywhere. Planning to do 10 miles tommorrow prior to 4th birthday party with 14 kids, will be in serious need of liquid refreshment by early afternoon!
  • A very good friend of mine was shocked by how red my face was after i met up with him after a 'robics class. It was 20 minutes after the end of the class, he should've seen it immediately after!!!

He kept saying, "god, i can't get over how red your face is!" Jee-zo, have you seen the colour of your face!!"

In the end i told him to "feck off" and stop going on about it, cause it was really starting to grate on my nerves.

He still apologises about it now, and it was weeks ago! lol.

Of course i put hims straight and told him how redness indicates good blood flow, which in turn means less wrinkles in later life, or some bull, and he bought it!! (may or may not be true!)
  • Marion -Hello to a fellow Scot, after seeing 'Jee-zo' in ur message thought I'd check ur profile and see where u were from. Made me think of the Karen Dunbar sketch where every second word she says is Jee-zo , it's hysterical.
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    we did 4 miles last night in what we thought was reasonable pleasantly fast enough to have a chat and not really stop only for seconds to tie laces or have a drink type speed, anyway, it took us 45 mins to do 5.5kms, is that even 4 miles?? i mean we were talking and it was nice but we didnt stop and that's dead dead slow isnt it.
    boo hoo, when are we going to speed up??
    there is a 10k in our little town today and we couldnt enter for fear of being embarassingly slow, do you get faster naturally or do you need drugs!!?? just kidding