big girls run too!

Comments

• Who cares how fast your going!? you're doing brilliantly to get 45 minutes comfortably. How did you guage your 5.5kms, by pedometer or mapping? Cause it could be you're going further than you think in 45 minutes.
  • and therefore are faster than you think!

• I'm thinking of investing in one of those Navman satellite thingies, anyone have one and are they any good?

Got a pedometer but uv got to put in a stride length and never quite sure if I'v got it right. Takes a lot of faffing about either measuring out routes in ur car or running on treadmills, then taking ur number of steps and dividing how far uv gone with that ..... and I'm bored just explaining it.

Plus ur stride must change with what speed ur doing so I reckon they can't be that accurate. At least thats what I tell myself when I'm convinced I'v run 7k and the pedometer says I'v only done 6.5k.

I have a computer thing on my bike that measures distance so have toyed with the idea of measuring a route out round my area using bike. But I'm a bit wobbly on it and thought I might get arrested if I get caught spray painting little coloured dots on the paths and roads every 1km.

;0)
  • Ideally could do with little colour coded dots every 200m might convince me to start doing the interval training that I keep reading up on and threatening to do but never actually get around to.

;0)
  • Could mark them out with chalk and then sneak out under cover of darkness and paint them. Just little tiny dots, nothing too conspicuous, could do them in green and brown to blend in with the surroundings.

Naahh, I'm just being ridiculous now.

;0)
  • Thanx Marion.
    LOL

Went for nice long bath with my radox salts and feeling much better now. No more thoughts of vandalism, at least for tonight.

Off to watch the box now and have some grub. Become so addicted to checking forums for messages haven't seen anything on telly for days. But means I'm not boring all my friends and family talking about running all the time.

;0)
  • It's true, other than my friend Rachel, who i run with. i don't need to go on and on and on to my workmates etc about my running (unless they ask, and the've stopped asking now!!)

I just get it all out of my system here with you guys! So thanks!
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    i do care how fast i am going because i want to get better...!!
    we measure our routes sometimes by car wherever possible, often run on trails though so one of the girls has her grandad's pedometer which tells us in an american accent when we have completed a kilometer, it keeps us entertained?!!
  • Evening folks.

Cotty - you will be faster than me at Blackpool as I am just hoping to get in under the 3 hrs as I am very very slow. Too fat to run fast. Didn't do any running this weekend as went camping and hill walking. I should really say hill crawling as I really struggled up the hill. Well it was a munro so it was hard. The legs are complaining today.

I bought a Garmin Forerunner a couple of months ago and it is great to take out. I like to way I can see what time I did each mile in and how many calories I used up. Makes me want to try harder each time. Will use it in Blackpool and see what every mile takes me.

Well done on getting out there folks.
  • Hi Speedy,

I didn't get out this weekend either daughter number 1's birthday Saturday, then we had another birthday party today, I am partied out!! I am planning to do 6 miles tomorrow and 3-4 Thursday and that is it ! It is too late to bother now! I am really not bothered what I do it in, I know I have not done enough training to get a pb.

My husband has promised to by me a garmin or timex thingy, we have just moved house and all my runs have changed in distance! Hopefullu we will get one in the hols.
  • Did 14k (8.7mls) today in torrential rain and whopping big hailstones I might add, ouch not good in short sleeves. Should really have done 13 miles(21k) today but trying to change to POSE method of running and didn't want to overdo it on my 1st long run POSEing. ;0)Calves are sore but don't have sore knees like usually do after long runs and figure calves will get used to it over time.

Def goin to get Navman as soon as can cos my pedometer gives me different readings every time I use it, it's def bonkers.
  • Tang, am I being a bit thick, what do you mean by POSE method of running?
  • cotty
    ooh there is a big thread on here somewhere

also look at www.posetech.com

in short, it's a way of deliberately landing on your forefoot instead of heel ball toe, like so many of us were taught

i changed styles last year with great results

tangerinetwirly
    make sure you do those calf exercises! and the drills . you don't want to end up with a calf injury
    i nearly torn mine when returning to pose after long lay off, even on a short run

personally i think the POSE thing is excellent way of running and haven't had any knees or shin probs since i switched
    also makes it possible to run on old ankle injury (which i think may be unfixable)
  • Cotty- POSE method of running?

Is the big thread on it, I'm slowly wading my way through the pages of messages.

LOK- Only started last week and calves were good until yesterday, was longest run i'v done this way. But there not too bad just a bit achey. Doin lots of stretches. And knees are fab on it, I also had problems with my midfoot and not had a single twinge which is surprising considering I am now landing exactly on the point where I used to get the pain. I'm very impressed.
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    this poseing sounds grand, i'll bet it helps with the impact on your foot as i think i read 3x your weight goes on each heel as you run, so that means my heels are really fed up with me then!! wiould like to try it but if i attempt to run on my forefoot i feel like a tip toeing ballerina and it feels all funny!!am i doing it wrong?
    am just waiting to be picked up now, we are planning to do a 5 miler tonight but its raining....when its beautiful i say aww i could be having a glass of wine on the patio now...there is always some excuse..then when i've been i feel fab and virtuous and everything...so it'll be worth it i know!!
  • Evening folks. No run for me today. Legs are still sore after weekends walking. Will get out tomorrow before work as I am on the late shift. As you say cotty too late to do much now. I also know I am not fit enought but hey I will plod round after all the marathon runners will still be out there and I won't feel so bad. Am I going to get a chance to meet you there?

Feel rather down today and can't be bothered doing anything. Some exercise would work but I am going to stay in and do some of that dreaded thing called housework. Hubby was day off and I come home from work to find nothing at all done. His car has not even been emptied from the weekend and guess where he is - playing games on his computer. If anyone thinks that playing games is for the kids then think again. My hubby is 53 and spends all his spare time on the blasted thing.
  • Speedy - Know the feeling my hubby 42 and it's like living with a teenager. Bl***y role playing games things are the bain of my life, have occasionally thought of throwing computer out the window.

rjh- yes ur doin it wrong. Ur foot should strike the ground directly under u so u shouldn't feel like ur pointing ur toes. Uv got to lean forward from the hips and lift ankles up towards ur bum as if there is a piece of vertical elastic between ur butt cheek and ur heel. Sounds very complicated but actually a lot easier to do than to describe.
  • did 8k tonight and calves feeling a lot better for now. No doubt once they've had a chance to seize up overnight I'll be struggling to walk in a manner that doesn't look like I'v filled my pants with something unpleasant. Must be off our trolley's!

But you get addicted to those endorphins and u can't live without them.
  • Evening all!

What a bunch of technical whizz runners you all sound like!

Sometimes when i'm plodding along it can feel like an effort to lift my feet and i find myself shuffling. So i make an effort to bring my heels up to my bum more and it kinda takes the pressure off the sides of my shins where i sometimes hurt.

Is that posing?

We should call this thread, "big girls pose too"!!!!
  • Evening all!

What a bunch of technical whizz runners you all sound like!

Sometimes when i'm plodding along it can feel like an effort to lift my feet and i find myself shuffling. So i make an effort to bring my heels up to my bum more and it kinda takes the pressure off the sides of my shins where i sometimes hurt.

Is that posing?

We should call this thread, "big girls pose too"!!!!
  • Grrrrr, why did i double post!
  • I think I will investigate this pose method when I get back from hols, had a quick look on the website that you mentioned Lok, I have a pair of Nike frees(which I have not run in yet), they are meant to replicate running barefoot, is that not what its sort of all about?

Speedy,I am planning on getting dropped off as near to the start as possible at about 8.30, I will look later to see what my number is and let you know.

Was out for an hour last night, it was a nice drizzly, one of those runs where it seems effortless! They don't happen often but when they do, its great! Couple of 30's then the big one Sunday, getting quite excited in a funny sort of way. Have just read as well that the Edinburgh marathon migth move to September next year so quite interested in that, and there might be a Summer Dundee marathon....

Got to be out of the house most of the day again, so taking the kids to a kids play area as its raining here again - where has summer gone?
  • Marion - Suppose ur kind of part POSEing there but main object of it is to run on ball of foot leaning hips forward as u run( like children do or barefoot adults), so that less force is going up through ur legs and causing joint injuries etc.

Cotty- Nike frees don't seem to be recommended on POSE site as heel too big but I'm still running in my Brooks Vapors (sshhh don't tell the diehard POSErs or I'll get my knuckles wrapped)only bought the blooming things couple of weeks ago. But will have to invest in a pair of proper racing flats at some time in near future.

Between the Brooks, the racing flats and the Navman I want we''ll be on bread & water this month. ;0)
  • Been very quiet on here lately. Hope everyone is fine.

• Hi Speedy,

Are you doing much on the running front this week? I am doing 30 minutes today and I think that will probably be it. What time are you intending getting to the start for? I have still to look for my number, we have builders in at the moment and I keep loosing things!
  • I was thinking that too Speedy. But not just this thread that quiet, very strange.

Everyone is doing too much running and doesn't have time to come on here and talk about it. It's just not on.

;0)

Did 7k this morn although my pedometer said I'd only done 0.43k so it's now in the bin. Measured route in car the other day and def 7k. Was def running more than 10m per minute LOL, stupid blooming thing.

Speedy and Cotty have a fab time at Blackpool, enjoy ur next few days of rest.

;0)
  • Speedy my number for Blackpool is 5405 - is it me just being tight or is it not a bit much charging 10p for the loos?
  • Morning all! Hope everyone is doing ok. Been a bit quiet round these parts, i guess we're all too busy running.

• Hi everyone - just back from my best run ever.

Have been following the beginners programme which got a bit sidetracked with my ankle injury and went out today to do the r8 w2 x 3, however towards the end of the first rep of 8 mins running I was feeling really good (nice drizzly rain in face) and thought I would just keep going and see how long I could run for - I did my whole route without stopping once!!!! Which meant that I was running from 25 mins non-stop SO PLEASED :)